Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2092Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th April 2018, 09:25 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
I thought it would be a good moment to say that I'm currently watching Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace as I type this message. It's time to reacquaint myself with Lucas's Star Wars saga after five years. No Disney junk, just a nice stroll down memory lane.

Regards,

Hive
thHWPMILWT.jpg
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 16th April 2018, 10:24 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
The Clone Wars and Rebels are excellent.
Dave Filoni should have been Lucasfilm president, not SJW Kathleen Kennedy.
Filoni knows his Star Wars and it would have been great to have him on the new films.
The development of the Clone Wars character Ashoka Tano over the seasons was awesome. When the series first started she was a hated character but developed into one of Star Wars most beloved characters. That's great writing.
Clone Wars is amazing. It also has one of the single best fights in Star Wars history with Maul and Savage vs Sidious.

It works well because it doesn't just feel thrown as a cheap way to get viewers. It was a fantastic idea because it just shows how ultra dangerous and powerful Sidious truly is.

SPOILER:
Take Savage. This guy gets set up as a killing machine. Killing other jedi and clones with ease he later holds off Anakin and Obi-wan while simultaneously constraining King Katunko with the force. Later (despite not being able to block the force lightening) he SLAMS Dooku, a trained Sith Lord across the room with a single lightsaber blow. Only the force lightening saves Dooku. Savage then has to deal with both him and Ventress who have to very briefly combine forces to throw him away. Anakin and Obi-Wan enter and get thrown out immediately by Savage before he makes his escape. Savage, relatively untrained I add, by this point can muster up enough strength both physically and with the force to send Sith Lords and jedi flying across a room.

Later on when Maul returns the two of them force Obi-Wan and Ventress to flee a battle.

Savage successfully kills Jedi Master Adi Gallia as he and Maul send Obi-Wan on the retreat. Obi-Wan to his credit is able to get the upper hand with two lightsabers and is able to beat them here and cut off Savages arm. They have no choice but to flee.

Then they run into Pre-Vizla and Death Watch. Pre-Vizla and Maul end up fighting with no use of the force from Maul. Vizla is a skilled opponent but he can't surpass Mauls skill. Maul kills him.

Finally Maul and Savage arrange the death of Obi-Wans ex right in front of him. It has been established, as Obi-Wan is dragged away by Mauls troops, that through these three seasons you quite simply do not mess with these guys. They are powerful, merciless and evil.

Enter Darth Sidious. He enters Mauls palace and within seconds force pushes both he and Savage against the wall. Already he has them where he wants them. But he decides he wants a fight and ignites two lightsabers. Engaging either of these two alone has been an issue for practically every character they've come across, let alone when they're combined. Not for Sidious. Yes they knock him off the roof (Savage does it using the same headstrike he used to kill Adi Gallia: But Sidious just shugs it off and pulls both of them down with him via the force) but he swiftly regains control, knocking Savage away and knocking out Maul. Savage tries to kill him but Sidious, dodging his blows and toying with him without using his lightsabers, suddenly ignites them and kills Savage in seconds. This is Savage. The same Savage that was able to send a fully alert Dooku flying across a room with one blow from his lightsaber. He gets the chance to do the same thing here to Sidious who isn't even facing his direction, instead he's facing Maul and Sidious holds his ground with one arm and one saber as Savage hits him before Sidious swiftly knocks him back.

Maul tries to take Sidious alone but fails. Decent effort and he even manages to kick Sidious once but he gets overpowered immediately after before getting subdued with force lightening...

It is so great how these two are built up as brutal, intimidating killers yet despite all that, Sidious can just show up and dominate the situation with ease, toying with them both throughout. They are small fry compared to him. A perfect example, if not the perfect example, of his power showcased for us all to see.
keirarts and Dave Boy like this.
Old 16th April 2018, 10:25 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Easy now.

I'm quite enjoying the film, minus Jar Jar Binks. Even John Williams wonderful score is up to par. The less said about John Williams' scores to The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi the better me thinks.

And we have a consistent story here too.
Old 16th April 2018, 10:39 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
I thought it would be a good moment to say that I'm currently watching Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace as I type this message. It's time to reacquaint myself with Lucas's Star Wars saga after five years. No Disney junk, just a nice stroll down memory lane.

Regards,

Hive
I like Phantom Menace. Its only been given a hard time over the decades because its been up against a Trilogy that gets praised as the best of all time. Its not perfect but I can re-watch it without ever feeling bored. It has the best music soundtrack to any Star Wars film (Duel of Fates), the Pod Race, the final fight and some nice worlds. The actors do a decent job too for the most part. It also has Ian McDiarmid as Sidious who is one of the greatest villains of all time and the best thing about the Prequels. He was a great diplomat, very charming, a master deceiver and a skilled manipulator. He could be upbeat, funny or as Revenge of the Sith shows bat$$$t insane, all for his own ends. He pretty much ends up taking the best traits a villain should have and combines them all into this one performance: Quiet and calculating, screaming and psychotic, happy and content, furious and bitter. Easily the best thing from the Prequels by a country mile.
Old 16th April 2018, 10:51 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I've said it before and i'll say it again.

The Duel of the Fates battle between Obi Wan, Qui Gon and Darth Maul from The Phantom Menace is one of the best sequences in any of the Star Wars films. Outstanding choreography and that music is something else.

There's not one sequence in any of the three new films to match it.
keirarts, hivemind and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 16th April 2018, 10:52 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothmogxx View Post
I like Phantom Menace. Its only been given a hard time over the decades because its been up against a Trilogy that gets praised as the best of all time. Its not perfect but I can re-watch it without ever feeling bored. It has the best music soundtrack to any Star Wars film (Duel of Fates), the Pod Race, the final fight and some nice worlds. The actors do a decent job too for the most part. It also has Ian McDiarmid as Sidious who is one of the greatest villains of all time and the best thing about the Prequels. He was a great diplomat, very charming, a master deceiver and a skilled manipulator. He could be upbeat, funny or as Revenge of the Sith shows bat$$$t insane, all for his own ends. He pretty much ends up taking the best traits a villain should have and combines them all into this one performance: Quiet and calculating, screaming and psychotic, happy and content, furious and bitter. Easily the best thing from the Prequels by a country mile.
The Phantom Menace certainly has faults, but to write it off would be brainless and rather stupid. There's a clear, consistent story that actually makes sense, though it does take time to unwind that story. Consider The Phantom Menace against The Last Jedi. What do we see, a film that doesn't have a clearly defined narrative. Its souless and unable to deliver a single element worthy of what Star Wars was all about in the first place. A coherent story with a logical narrative Gothmogxx. Lucas followed the principals of a narrative. Rian Johnson just delivered a poorly written story without logic or the understanding of the first principals of good storytelling. The end product speaks for itself.
Old 16th April 2018, 10:57 PM
Cult Addict

Keep banging that drum.

http://coub.com/view/8eib5

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 16th April 2018, 11:03 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I've said it before and i'll say it again.

The Duel of the Fates battle between Obi Wan, Qui Gon and Darth Maul from The Phantom Menace is one of the best sequences in any of the Star Wars films. Outstanding choreography and that music is something else.

There's not one sequence in any of the three new films to match it.
Rian Johnson take note.

Though its all too late now.

Quality scene Dem. Enjoyed every damn minute of it.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 16th April 2018, 11:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

When i said the other day that i'd not bought any Star Wars merch since i left school.

I lied.

Just noticed these on top of the wardrobe in the spare room, not seen by human eye for years and unable to actually get to.

Darth Maul and Queen Amidala! No idea what they actually are, nor can i remember what the bloomin Tomb Raider thing is nestled in between the two.

Pic flipped so it's easier to see the writing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF5469 (Large).jpg (88.1 KB, 8 views)
keirarts, hivemind and nosferatu42 like this.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 16th April 2018 at 11:20 PM.
Old 16th April 2018, 11:07 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Keep banging that drum.

http://coub.com/view/8eib5
Are you trying to stifle discussion, nos?

It's a forum, not a place of worship where we all go about our lives in silence.
hivemind likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!