Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Sci-Fi & Fantasy
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2092Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th April 2018, 10:08 PM
Cult Addict

I'm not bashing star wars though. I'm just arguing they're not as good as people make out. I'm more bemused by the genuine vitriol towards the new films as if in some way they are desecrating some sacred text. Rather than just more popcorn fodder for people to bring their kids to.
Comparing them to Italian genre pictures is rather dishonest. Pretty much every fan is honest about their flaws and non of them are still being made today. Your making out Lucas was some kind of visionary master storyteller who was constructing some epic family saga. I'm just pointing out Lucas wasn't an especially great story teller and most of his best ideas came from other sources and his wife.

3 ways in which Marcia Lucas helped save Star Wars | SYFY UK
Old 15th April 2018, 10:09 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I can't believe that Keirarts is using elements borrowed by Lucas from other films as a stick to beat Star Wars with.

He loves Italian films and their speciality is ripping off Hollywood. He even goes as far as to say films like Star Crash are better. A rip off of a rip off.

Tell me how that works then.

No don't, not really, but it does seem a tad hypocritical.

P.S. I wish we could discuss horror and genre films with as much passion as we do Star Wars.
It must be the nostalgia ride?
Old 15th April 2018, 10:12 PM
Cult Addict

Starcrash and the other rip offs are highly entertaining trash and owe their existence to star wars. I'd argue they're probably more entertaining than any of the prequels.
Old 15th April 2018, 10:13 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I'm not bashing star wars though. I'm just arguing they're not as good as people make out. I'm more bemused by the genuine vitriol towards the new films as if in some way they are desecrating some sacred text. Rather than just more popcorn fodder for people to bring their kids to.
Comparing them to Italian genre pictures is rather dishonest. Pretty much every fan is honest about their flaws and non of them are still being made today. Your making out Lucas was some kind of visionary master storyteller who was constructing some epic family saga. I'm just pointing out Lucas wasn't an especially great story teller and most of his best ideas came from other sources and his wife.

3 ways in which Marcia Lucas helped save Star Wars | SYFY UK
From your posts you do appear to have a negative slant on the Star Wars films.

I didn't bring up Italian films, you did, saying you preferred Star Crash.

Finally please tell me how these few words, below, as it's all i've said on the subject in this discussion, makes out old George is a master story teller.

Quote:
I can't believe that Keirarts is using elements borrowed by Lucas from other films as a stick to beat Star Wars with.

He loves Italian films and their speciality is ripping off Hollywood. He even goes as far as to say films like Star Crash are better. A rip off of a rip off.

Tell me how that works then.

No don't, not really, but it does seem a tad hypocritical.

P.S. I wish we could discuss horror and genre films with as much passion as we do Star Wars.
Unless of course you're confusing me with Hivemind.

In which case. You're banned!
hivemind likes this.
Old 15th April 2018, 10:22 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
From your posts you do appear to have a negative slant on the Star Wars films.

I didn't bring up Italian films, you did, saying you preferred Star Crash.

Finally please tell me how these few words, below, as it's all i've said on the subject in this discussion, makes out old George is a master story teller.

Unless of course you're confusing me with Hivemind.

In which case. You're banned!
Your not as mad as hivemind.

My point still stands.

Star wars is a popcorn flick. It's a fairly shallow space opera that cobbles together elements from various other sources to make what's essentially a Corman-esque B movie with studio level production values.
But pop culture references treat it has some kind of masterpieces. It's not that good.

So arguing Last Jedi is some kind of awful travesty feels a lot like ignoring the problems inherent in the material. Last Jedi isn't some kind of masterpiece. It's got some structural problems and I do question some of the decisions made. But it's hardly that much worse than half the stuff that came before.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 15th April 2018, 10:27 PM
Cult Addict

But goddamit it's all turned into another argument. So I'll leave it at this.

Star wars is ok.

The prequels are trash.

The new ones are basically theme park ads but anyone who says they're worse than phantom menace doesn't understand basic film making.

George Lucas can't write for shit unless it's about hot-rodders but he did a lot for cinemas by setting minimum standards for sound and projection with THX
Old 15th April 2018, 10:30 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Your not as mad as hivemind.

My point still stands.

Star wars is a popcorn flick. It's a fairly shallow space opera that cobbles together elements from various other sources to make what's essentially a Corman-esque B movie with studio level production values.
But pop culture references treat it has some kind of masterpieces. It's not that good.

So arguing Last Jedi is some kind of awful travesty feels a lot like ignoring the problems inherent in the material. Last Jedi isn't some kind of masterpiece. It's got some structural problems and I do question some of the decisions made. But it's hardly that much worse than half the stuff that came before.
"It's got some structural problems"

Oh, God!
Old 15th April 2018, 10:36 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
"It's got some structural problems"

Oh, God!
I think this illustrates why the thread is so toxic.

Hardcore star wars fans are worse than Rick and morty fans. It's like if star wars didn't exist they'd be jumping off bridges.
Old 15th April 2018, 10:36 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
But goddamit it's all turned into another argument. So I'll leave it at this.
Quote:
I think this illustrates why the thread is so toxic.

It's not an argument. It's a discussion.

This place is so friggin pacified, people think any sort of conversation where opinions differ is an argument.

I always like it when we actually stop wanking over purchases and get into the nitty gritty about movies. It's what we're here for.

Everyone has made perfectly valid points both for and against without feeling the need to insult each other (Except Keirarts who all but called me hivemind - the infractions in the post, sunshine) and that's what a forum should be.

I say well done to everyone.
keirarts, trebor8273 and hivemind like this.
Old 15th April 2018, 10:46 PM
Cult Addict

I will say this. I really wish Lucas had found some really good scripts and carried on directing. From a technical perspective, before he gave up he wasn't bad. With decent scriptwriters and an editor as good as his wife Marcia was he could have made some interesting films.

Phantom menace was very much a film made by someone who seemed to have forgotten the fundamentals of film making and has no one about to take him to task. The most interesting thing about the prequels is watching him relearn film-making. By episode 3 things start to work in places.
trebor8273 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!