All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2092Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th April 2018, 08:57 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Cornwall. The land of Cornish pasties, pixes and Straw Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Interestingly the death of Yoda in Empire is completely stolen from Frank capras List Horizon. The death of the high lama

You mean Lost Horizon keirarts.

Big deal. Trying to show up the original films is to be expected.

One thing that doesn't change keirarts, and that's all six films Lucas developed tell the story of a family saga exceptionally well. Yes, we have elements in the stories that seem somewhat rough around the edges, but we have those magic words, and I will say it again, a coherent plot. When I watch Star Wars (1977) to Revenge of the Sith (2005) I see a clearly defined story arc. Do we actually see this represented in the Disney/Star Wars films? Never. What little was given to Johnson via Abrams didn't make any sense whatsoever in The Last Jedi. Lucas however made all the connections, and had an ending that satisfied me to the full. These Disney/Star Wars films will ultimately appeal to those that prefer the nostalgia ride that get's constantly aimed at those who support past Star Wars.
Old 15th April 2018, 08:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
I think you know you've been had trebor. It's embarrassing when you have to admit The Last Jedi was inferior, when you fully endorsed the movie a while back. I suppose I look at The Last Jedi as a comedy of errors trebor. This concept of the nostalgia ride applies more to the Disney/Star Wars farce than Star Wars made yesteryear.
Still think it's better than phantom menace and attack of the clones even with that awful mary Poppins scene. Will upset a lot of people saying the guardian of the galaxy films are better space operas/sci-fi than most of the star wars films and are superior to the prequels and new films.
keirarts likes this.
Old 15th April 2018, 09:01 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hivemind View Post
This concept of the nostalgia ride applies more to the Disney/Star Wars farce than Star Wars made yesteryear.
You genuinely don't seem to understand what people are saying. The admiration of the original three star wars movies is fuelled largely by the nostalgia of 30 and over fans who remember the films as kids. People are pointing out that if you seperate that then the original trilogy is not necessarily as extraordinary as some people believe. It's the goonies effect. People think it's an amazing film because they loved it as kids. Not because the film itself was good.
It's also worth noting that the original films were very much the product of nostalgia. Lucas was channelling the old flash Gordon serials as well as kurosawa's hidden fortress (from which the film steals an awful lot) and book like the lensman series from the 50s that featured things like laser swords.
Old 15th April 2018, 09:13 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Still think it's better than phantom menace and attack of the clones even with that awful mary Poppins scene. Will upset a lot of people saying the guardian of the galaxy films are better space operas/sci-fi than most of the star wars films and are superior to the prequels and new films.
I think technically the new ones are more polished than the prequels. I still rate them all as popcorn flicks though . To me saying last Jedi is worse than the original star wars is like saying independence day is better than the remake of day the earth stood still.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 15th April 2018, 09:24 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
You genuinely don't seem to understand what people are saying. The admiration of the original three star wars movies is fuelled largely by the nostalgia of 30 and over fans who remember the films as kids. People are pointing out that if you seperate that then the original trilogy is not necessarily as extraordinary as some people believe. It's the goonies effect. People think it's an amazing film because they loved it as kids. Not because the film itself was good.
It's also worth noting that the original films were very much the product of nostalgia. Lucas was channelling the old flash Gordon serials as well as kurosawa's hidden fortress (from which the film steals an awful lot) and book like the lensman series from the 50s that featured things like laser swords.
I'm fully aware keirarts to what you are saying. That's the problem keirarts. Disney wanted the nostalgia ride, and gave it to people like yourself. Lucas wanted to move away from it, and create something different. No wonder Disney wasn't interested in Lucas's proposed outline to Episode 7. Iger said it was too risky, and took Star Wars into new territory. Disney preferred delivering the so-called nostalgia ride for people who didn't want Lucas's vision of Star Wars. I was all for Lucas's take on episode seven. Something different that moved away from Han, Leia and Luke. Those stories were done with, but Disney wanted the soft option, and soft option you got, Disney Style. PC (Politically Correct) Star Wars with no real heart or soul, empty and just a nostalgia ride for those that like Star Wars lite. To me it really doesn't matter if Lucas took elements from the 50's serials or Akira Kurosawa. What matters is how Lucas applied the concepts to the Star Wars stories. You can be inspired and driven by ideas of others. There's certainly a benefit to applying such elements to how you develop your own story. All this nostalgia crap is just pathetic, but Disney gave it to you, and you lapped it up.

Last edited by hivemind; 15th April 2018 at 09:37 PM.
Old 15th April 2018, 09:35 PM
Cult Addict

Honestly the vibe I'm getting from this thread is people with less investment in the original trilogy seemed to enjoy the last Jedi more. Which is understandable to a point as the people invested in the characters had more expectations. I never really gave that much of a shit as I never really felt any of the characters were well written from the get go.
Old 15th April 2018, 09:37 PM
Cult Addict

My honest impressions of star wars 4-6 were of something made up on the fly. The prequels didn't feel like anyone was in charge. The Disney ones are just advertisements for the theme park.
Old 15th April 2018, 09:45 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
My honest impressions of star wars 4-6 were of something made up on the fly. The prequels didn't feel like anyone was in charge. The Disney ones are just advertisements for the theme park.
Christ! If you think that, then you really must be wearing rose tinted glasses. Rian Johnson couldn't even write a coherent plot for The Last Jedi. I've never seen such shoddy writing in my life. Ed Wood had a better plot to Plan 9, than what Johnson delivered for The Last Jedi.
Old 15th April 2018, 09:56 PM
Cult Addict

Perhaps Johnson should have got someone to rewrite his scripts like Lucas did.
Old 15th April 2018, 10:00 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I can't believe that Keirarts is using elements borrowed by Lucas from other films as a stick to beat Star Wars with.

He loves Italian films and their speciality is ripping off Hollywood. He even goes as far as to say films like Star Crash are better. A rip off of a rip off.

Tell me how that works then.

No don't, not really, but it does seem a tad hypocritical.

P.S. I wish we could discuss horror and genre films with as much passion as we do Star Wars.

Like this? Share it using the links below!