Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13846Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th May 2016, 12:08 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default The Professionals (TV series)

The Professionals
50min | Action, Comedy, Crime | TV Series (1977–1983)

I've been re watching The Professionals just recently,another one of my childhood favourites I thought I would revisit,I do not usually watch a lot of television box sets,well not compared to some people on here any ways. And I have very little love for the endless modern detective shows or any of the endless and ceaseless merry go round of hyped shows i am supposed to watch, FFS leave me alone,I have my On the Buses and Allo Allo boxes I have no time for Game Of Thrones,and more importantly neither do I care. For a while we were lead to believe that The Professionals was a bit a bit racist ,slightly misogynistic and mostly to violent for the tea time viewing schedule as it was back then, Re watching the show,now again,there are a few episodes that are pretty heavy handed in the writing,Klansmen from the end of series one,is a pretty full on look at racism in 1980's Britain,and never shy's away from using the N word,but it also has some rather lazy stereotyping with Bodie getting stabbed by a gang of black guys,going into hospital,where he has a black doctor and a black nurse,and by the end of episode Bodie has been cured of his racism and ends up shagging the nurse.Seeing as the show was created by Brian Clemens famed for the Avengers (no not them) television shows you could of expected more stronger female characters in the episodes.Also Pamela Stephenson who I assume did this before her big break on Not the nine o'clock news,keeps popping up in about four episodes as four different charterers.As for the violence.I was mildly taken back by the amount of shootings and bloody gun shot wounds on show here,certainly a lot more harder than the comic book style violence of the A-team.Overall the show it self was a great bit of television made by Avengers Mk1 Productions for London Weekend Television ,although for years I thought this was a Euston Films production. It goes without saying that all three main actors Gordon Jackson ,Martin Shaw and Lewis Collins (sadly missed and should of made more films) had a great on screen chemistry together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sThe Professionals (TV series).jpg (95.8 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Inspector Abberline; 11th May 2016 at 04:31 AM.
Old 11th May 2016, 01:20 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
[And I have very little love for the endless modern detective shows or any of the endless and ceaseless merry go round of hyped shows i am supposed to watch, FFS leave me alone,I have my On the Buses and Allo Allo boxes I have no time for Game Of Thrones,and more importantly neither do I care. .
I'm getting a bit like this. I love Person of Interest but that's the only current program I can say that about. At the end of the day I'd rather stick on a classic Who, Buffy or X Files than GOT or The Walking Dead et al.
Old 11th May 2016, 07:05 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Well i started my Marvel Avengers marathon.

Watched Captain America The First Avenger last night. Better than i recall. I've given it some real stick on other threads. I think i perhaps dozed off the first time i saw it as there was much i didn't remember.

I'm two episodes into Agent Carter.

Quite impressed by it. Hayley Atwell makes for a likable lead and James D'Arcy proves a good foil. The late forties setting makes for a nice change as well.

Another couple of episodes to come now.
Well I'll be damned! A convert!
keirarts likes this.
Old 11th May 2016, 07:15 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Well I'll be damned! A convert!
Brainwashed is how I'd put it.

He'll be raving about The Lost Boys next...
keirarts likes this.
Old 11th May 2016, 07:41 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Brainwashed is how I'd put it.

He'll be raving about The Lost Boys next...
I suspect a rewatch wouldn't do him any harm. Probably can't remember it and you've convinced him its a load of twishite arsehumping.
keirarts and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 11th May 2016, 08:35 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Saw the first episode of The Strain on Channel 11 over here. Pretty good so far actually, I shall certainly be watching next week. Okay, you have my attention.
I found that by the end of season 1 I had completely lost interest after a really exciting start - let us know how you get on. I'm still waiting for Season 2 to come on Sky TV's box sets to see if it gets better again.
keirarts likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 11th May 2016, 08:39 AM
Cult Acolyte

Episode 2 wasn't as good as the first but I haven't lost interest yet anyway.
Justin101 and keirarts like this.
Old 11th May 2016, 10:01 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I suspect a rewatch wouldn't do him any harm. Probably can't remember it and you've convinced him its a load of twishite arsehumping.
Sorry, but i don't need B_E to convince me it's a load of Twishite arsehumping.

I watched every minute of it about 5 years ago, just after i joined this forum.

****ing terrible!

I can imagine the casting call.

'Are you called Corey?'

'Yes'

'Can you act?'

'No'

'You're in! Now find me another bunch of talentless twats called Corey'.
Old 13th May 2016, 12:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Agent Carter has been cancelled, which is a shame as i enjoyed it a lot more than agents of shield

‘Agent Carter’ Cancelled: No Season 3 for Hayley Atwell’s Marvel ABC Series | Variety

but supergirl has gotten a second season

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/su...season-two-cw/

Last edited by trebor8273; 13th May 2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 13th May 2016, 02:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I will say that The Strain , after a very muddy opening (2nd series) does improve imo. Will there be more? Who can say???

Better Call Saul
2nd series off to a decent start. This will tide me over till I get my hands on new Banshee, Venture Bros, GOT.

What a life.
Justin101, keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!