Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13846Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th February 2024, 03:26 PM
Cult Acolyte

Yes, I remember that episode. What a shocker.
My Mum had an "Oh my God" moment. So unexpected.
Old 2nd March 2024, 09:18 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Remake of shogun on Disney,

Just watched first two episodes, can't binge it's a weekly series,
Not sure what to say expect wow, utter fantastic, everything about it perfect, the acting, action, set pieces, 100% totally recommended,
Epic tv at its finest.
Blackthorne boat become shipwrecked in Japan and becoming a prisoner resulting in alsorts of problems and being caught in the middle of a war.

Was reading upon it and I wasn't aware it was loosely based of a true story,

Clavell's Shōgun is a fictionalized version of real events and history. Told in both Japanese and English, the English portion of the dialog was actually in Portuguese. The character of Blackthorne is loosely based on the historical English navigator William Adams, who in Japan rose to become a samurai under the strongest powerful daimyō and later the founder and first shōgun of the Tokugawa Shogunate of Japan, Tokugawa Ieyasu, whose life and reign lasted from 1543 to 1616 and on whom Shōgun's character Yoshii Toranaga is based.
Justin101 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 5th March 2024, 12:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Chocky's Children.

A year has passed since Matthew had any contact with Chocky, he has been doing a lot of drawing of buildings and places he has never seen. He is sent to stay in the country with his aunt and meets a young girl Albertine who has a advanced I.Q. level, both children are under observation from the government and the watchful eye of Chocky.

This was a decent second season, it does have a bit of a homage to Wyndham's other story The Midwhich Cuckoos with officials observing the children this time the children are the protagonists and trying to outsmart the adults. Andrew Ellams returns to the role as Matthew with Anabel Worell as Albertine along with Prentis Hancock as the over bearing father and Angela Galbraith as the potter making Aunt.

MV5BOTEwNDA5Mzk0N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDE1NTkxMQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg
Old 7th March 2024, 12:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Chocky's Challenge.

The final series of Chocky, Albertine is offered a scholarship and has shown the existence of Chocky to her piers while her father suggests that they offer other gifted children a scholarship and assist Chocky in contacting her home planet, basically Chocky wants to phone home. With three other gifted children under the watchful eye of the military who want the secrets to use as a weapon will try any means to have them.

This one didn't really didn't appeal to me, Matthew Ellams is only in this for 3 episodes and barely has much screen time after the first episode. Paul Russell's character Paul comes over as a annoying little prat, Freddie Brooks has one hell of a fake American Accent that is almost laughable but he was only young. Think this series would be revisited at some point.

MV5BMTYwMDAwNDE2M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzMwMDAwMQ@@._V1_.jpg
Old 18th March 2024, 10:25 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Watched the final two episodes of The Professionals tonight. All five series and 57 episodes.

On the whole it was top quality television with some episodes remarkably tense. You might think after five series of unconnected stories the quality would deteriorate towards the end but it really didn't. In fact it was probably getting better and better and finished on a real high.

Some stories were action based whilst others were Cold War style espionage with others featuring hit men, hate groups (No wonder Klansmen has never aired on UK tv), terrorists... you name it. Bombs go off, cars topple over, bullets are sprayed...all terrific stuff with three great leads in Lewis Collins, Martin Shaw and Gordon Jackson.

Yet another hit series from Brian Clemens to go with The Avengers, The New Avengers and Thriller and also an unforgettable theme tune from Laurie Johnson.

The restored dvd box set (It also came out on Blu but i didn't have a player at the time of purchasing) looks stunning - probably better on dvd than 90% of Italian films look on Blu - and i'm delighted to have it in the collection
Old 21st March 2024, 03:35 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Smallville series 3, episode 4 Slumber.

Katharine Isabelle guest stars as a comatose girl who has the ability to pull Clark into her dreams.

An episode with music entirely performed by R.E.M. using the songs Imitation of Life, Everybody Hurts, Losing My Religion, At My Most Beautiful and Bad Day.

The series has had some awesome songs from huge artists such as Coldplay, U2, Stereophonics, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pink, Dido and Metallica but Slumber was the first to entirely use just the one band.
Old 21st March 2024, 03:46 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've been watching True Detective for the second time, my first viewing in several years. I thought the first season was great: a solid story accentuated by superb performances from Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson, and a very good screenplay.

I can't remember much about the second season and am a few episodes into it, so some details are falling into place, others not as much. I can't say that it's grabbed me in the same way as the first season did, but that might change over the remaining episodes.
Old 30th March 2024, 10:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Accused, by Jimmy McGovern, He is best known for creating the drama series Cracker and wrote for tv saops Brookside and Corrie.

A British TV show about ppl in court and the crimes they've been accused of,
I've seen series 1 Ages ago but never seen series 2,
I thought this was series 2 turned out to be the USA version,
And it's just as equally as good as the British show,

Each episode is different and stars well-known actors,
such as Christopher Eccleston, Benjamin Smith, Juliet Stevenson, Andy Serkis, Marc Warren, Sean Bean uk version.

It's ppl in court and how they got there,
It's flicks between the court case and the storyline,
But this isn't about gangsters and low-life drug dealers or criminals known to the police,
It's about everyday Joe blogs going about their everyday life.
Eg, you might be at work and constantly bullied by one of the workers, and one day you retaliate back but kill them by accident, now you are in court and they're accusing you of deliberately killing them,
Every story is different but they are stories and ppl you can relate to and feel sorry for and even understand why they did what they did,
Extremely well made and Recommended if you want down to earth realistic shows.
Old 4th April 2024, 10:03 PM
Cult Acolyte

Couple of Star Trek TOS eps, Spectre of the Gun and The Tholian Web. Seen some eps of TOS years back but could never really get into it (despite loving the original cast movies) but I really enjoyed these. Oddly enough they're both from season 3, which is supposedly crap. More "fan consensus" BS perhaps?
Old 4th April 2024, 10:37 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Couple of Star Trek TOS eps, Spectre of the Gun and The Tholian Web. Seen some eps of TOS years back but could never really get into it (despite loving the original cast movies) but I really enjoyed these. Oddly enough they're both from season 3, which is supposedly crap. More "fan consensus" BS perhaps?
I had never really seen Star Trek until i bought the restored dvd box sets even though like you i love the movies so can hardly call myself a fan.

I thought season 3, which i only saw for the first time a couple of years ago, was the worst by far. There were some excellent episodes but the majority were average to poor unfortunately especially as the series neared it's end.

The Way to Eden was absolutely terrible whilst The Enterprise Incident, The Tholian Web and Day of the Dove were really good
iank likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!