Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13846Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th November 2021, 11:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Also found the early 1970s tv series of lone wolf and cub on YouTube, so started watching that tonight.
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 5th November 2021, 03:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just watched first episode of 4400 (remake) and it has too be the worlds most woke program , the few white people that we see are terrible hateful racists and it doesn't help that the main characters are stereotypes and are just unlikable.
Demoncrat likes this.

Last edited by trebor8273; 5th November 2021 at 08:48 PM.
Old 5th November 2021, 08:15 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Just watched first episode of 4400 and it has too be the worlds most woke program , the few white people that we see are terrible hateful racists and it doesn't help that the main characters are stereotypes and are just unlikable.
The term 'woke' is ridiculously misused and nebulous. It only came to performance in the last five years and you're applying it to a TV show made 17 years ago.

I don't know how you can say Tom Baldwin, Diana Skouris, or Lily Tyler are racists. Lily's husband, Richard (Mahershala Ali), is black.
Susan Foreman and trebor8273 like this.
Old 5th November 2021, 08:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
The term 'woke' is ridiculously misused and nebulous. It only came to performance in the last five years and you're applying it to a TV show made 17 years ago.

I don't know how you can say Tom Baldwin, Diana Skouris, or Lily Tyler are racists. Lily's husband, Richard (Mahershala Ali), is black.

Should of said remake which I thought I had. Most of the 4400 in the first episode are black which I don't have a problem with But those are stereotypes and only seen one white character who isn't portrayed racist or stupid in someway.

The original was brilliant show but this suffers from the same problem as a lot of new shows , even if they got rid of its agenda that seems too be whites are evil especially white men still think it would be poor with the bad writing of the main characters , it's not hard to write a show about racism plenty of older shows have done it but most shows today can't without being as subtle as sledgehammer

If the pilot is anything too go by and they are trying too tackle social issues and diversity they have failed the original did a much better job .

Last edited by trebor8273; 5th November 2021 at 08:53 PM.
Old 5th November 2021, 09:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit. 1989.

Episode 1.

Jess is 7 years old, adopted by a family who preach the word of the lord and worship a strange cult, Jess has started school but her mother keeps her distance as the group believe Jess has come to them to be a savior.

Episode 2.

Jess is 16 years old still dominated by her mother and pastor, Jess meets Melanie and starts a lesbian relationship. When it's found out her family and pastor try a exorcism to banish the evil from her which ends things badly.

Episode 3.

Jess now 17 and still hurt by what happened, she has now meet a girl called Katy and realises who she is and wants to be happy, she tries to free herself from her Mother, the church and her home town.

I had to google what religion this programme followed and it's Pentecostal faith, never heard of them, Geraldine McEwan plays the fiesty dominating mother who believes Jess was a blessing and tries to raise her properly. Kenneth Cranham plays the Pastor and tries to coax young Jess to their beliefs but insists Jess played by Emily Aston (Jess, 7 years old) and Charlotte Coleman (Jess 16-17 years old) is possessed by demons.

This does focus more on the coming of age, trial and tribulations of being a teenager, trying to make decisions while they are being made for you, having and loosing friends, I have never read the book but from understanding there is more about Jess in her childhood.

MV5BMTkxMzEyOTIwNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzg4MzEyMQ@@._V1_.jpg
Old 5th November 2021, 10:03 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Should of said remake which I thought I had. Most of the 4400 in the first episode are black which I don't have a problem with But those are stereotypes and only seen one white character who isn't portrayed racist or stupid in someway.

The original was brilliant show but this suffers from the same problem as a lot of new shows , even if they got rid of its agenda that seems too be whites are evil especially white men still think it would be poor with the bad writing of the main characters , it's not hard to write a show about racism plenty of older shows have done it but most shows today can't without being as subtle as sledgehammer

If the pilot is anything too go by and they are trying too tackle social issues and diversity they have failed the original did a much better job .
I didn't know there was a remake of The 4400, a TV series I enjoyed and (mostly) own. I'd rather buy the fourth season of the original show and watch the whole series again than a remake of the first season.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 8th November 2021, 08:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Been watching this new series of Curb Your Enthusiasm, which I felt very underwhelmed by until the 3rd episode. I still feel he should have just called it quits after the sixth series anyway.

My tuppence ...

Watching Hypoctritewood now bend over backwards to make up for a century of sleaze and depravity is hilarious to this demon.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 11th November 2021, 07:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Really enjoyed The Hairy Bikers Go North. The final episode has just finished. Hugely enjoyable as Dave and Si are brilliant hosts, best mates and appreciate everything and tell it like it is. Plus we've seen some great northern scenery from the Forest of Bowland to the Yorkshire Dales to Bamburgh Castle, not to mention tonight's episode set in the city of Newcastle.

Every episode has had me drooling at the food on show. Drooling, i tell you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21981334-high.jpg (83.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 11th November 2021, 09:22 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Really enjoyed The Hairy Bikers Go North. The final episode has just finished. Hugely enjoyable as Dave and Si are brilliant hosts, best mates and appreciate everything and tell it like it is. Plus we've seen some great northern scenery from the Forest of Bowland to the Yorkshire Dales to Bamburgh Castle, not to mention tonight's episode set in the city of Newcastle.

Every episode has had me drooling at the food on show. Drooling, i tell you.
I really enjoyed the series when they explored East Asia, they're so enthusiastic about everything and always keen to get involved in the local culture and cuisine.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 11th November 2021, 09:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I really enjoyed the series when they explored East Asia, they're so enthusiastic about everything and always keen to get involved in the local culture and cuisine.
Just found out they did a Route 66 road trip and it's on dvd. I think i'll get that.
Justin101 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!