Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Trades & Deals (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Blu-ray Bargain Alerts (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/trades-deals/3988-blu-ray-bargain-alerts.html)

oaxaca 26th October 2011 08:57 AM

I'm a fan of both versions. Excellent casting in both. Peck and Mitchum vs Nolte and DeNiro, all likeable actors. I think Scorsese goes a little OTT with his direction though which detracts a bit from the tension and atmosphere whereas the original remains a really tight and tense affair. Also I believe Peck and Mitchum really were opposite personalities in real life as well as in the movie, and this shows. And finally, the moody atmospheric B&W photography suits the film down to the ground. So the original wins for me.

oaxaca 26th October 2011 09:48 AM

Type ZWEDS in at zavvi and its 10% off all orders excluding pre-orders. Only another 25hrs left of the deal!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 28th October 2011 11:44 AM

Just received this e-mail from Amazon Re: Silent Running...

Quote:

Dear Customer

We are writing to inform you that the price for the item

Silent Running (1971) (Masters of Cinema) [Blu-ray] - Asin: B005DE1G2Y

was displayed incorrectly at the time you placed the above referenced order.

Despite our best efforts, with the millions of items available on our website, pricing errors can occasionally occur.

In our Pricing and Availability Policy (see Amazon.co.uk Help: Pricing), we state that where an item's correct price is higher than our stated price, we contact the customer before dispatching.

All affected orders have now been cancelled. If you still wish to purchase this item, please place a new order online as from tomorrow, which will be charged at the correct price, when we dispatch it to you.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by this error, and rest assured that we will continue to make every effort to maintain the accuracy of all prices on our site.

We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Warmest regards,

Customer Service Department
Amazon.co.uk

To be expected, really. :ohwell:

At least I have the Steelbook still on pre-order.

PaulD 28th October 2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 193427)

Just got the same email. Thankfully, I also have the steelbook on order which I seem to remember being at a fairly decent price

wayfarer 28th October 2011 11:47 AM

people are slagging Amazon off (as evident on Twitter) but they're still my favourite online shop and mistakes happen.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th October 2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 193427)
Just received this e-mail from Amazon Re: Silent Running...

I received the same e-mail which, to be honest, I was expecting. I also have the Steelbook preordered and have the check disc to watch at some point before watching it for review.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 28th October 2011 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wayfarer (Post 193430)
people are slagging Amazon off (as evident on Twitter) but they're still my favourite online shop and mistakes happen.

Agreed.

They'd be making a very poor business decision to sell at that price, and it was pretty obvious at the time that it was a pricing error.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th October 2011 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 193432)
They'd be making a very poor business decision to sell at that price, and it was pretty obvious at the time that it was a pricing error.

They'd lose thousands of pounds (if not more) if they honoured all those pre-orders, the ones which bumped Silent Running to the top of the chart and, as it was obvious it was a misprice, cancelling the orders was the only sensible decision. Anyone expecting Amazon to honour 100% of orders is almost delusional!

Stephen@Cult Labs 28th October 2011 12:01 PM

Damn it! Just got my email from Amazon regarding Silent Running. I knew what it was even before reading it.

broonage 28th October 2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 193439)
Damn it! Just got my email from Amazon regarding Silent Running. I knew what it was even before reading it.

:llama::llama::llama:

Me too!