Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > Why Don't Shameless Release...?
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th January 2009, 09:22 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud View Post
Well I've just checked its IMDb page and it seems to be regarded by some as one of the very best the genre has to offer. It just goes to show how divided opinions can be!

Personally I found it overlong (at nearly 2 hours) with the very few kills there were off camera, a drawn out, tedious, and at times confusing plot, dull characters and a serious lack of sleaze and gore. I nearly always find something to like even in the lesser giallos but with Solange I'm struggling to think of a single positive. If anything I would use it as an example of just how boring a giallo could be if done wrong.
Now that's strange. What Have You Done to Solange? is one of my favorite Giallo!

I thought the plot was suprisingly strong and clever. I also liked the performance of Fabio Testi, Christina Galbo and Karin Baal - so far away from the usual sterotypes... I'm also always impressed by the photography and the music.

But I can understand your comment. It's indeed overlong and lacking sleaze and gore. It's has not much "entertaining" value. Even if I like it a lot, I must admit that I'm rarely in the mood to see it again...
Old 20th January 2009, 10:35 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

See, despite your affection for the film you have sort of underlined its biggest weakness - no entertainment value. Solange is literally talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, off camera murder, talk, talk, talk, talk, talk, the end. I just sat there yawning away hoping for something to happen and it never did. When I watch a giallo I wanna kick back and enjoy cheap thrills (in amongst the usual police investigation, oddball characters, J&D bottles and stunning cinematography). When a film becomes too ambitious (though ambitious is perhaps the wrong adjective in this case!) and neglects the key ingredients that make giallos so endearing it becomes lost on me.

I do take back one thing though. I said I couldn't think of one positive but then I forgot all about the lass in Zarith's avatar . Thank God for small mercies!
Old 25th January 2009, 10:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'd really love to see some of the *ahem* classic Italian Sci-Fi/Post Apocalypse films released, like: -

Exterminators of the Year 3000
Endgame
2020 Texas Gladiators
The Humanoid
Starcrash
The New Gladiators (I have the Troma release, but the quality is bobbins!)

Old 26th January 2009, 09:25 AM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Well funnily enough some post apocalyptic entertainment is on the cards!
Old 26th January 2009, 10:27 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I'd really love to see some of the *ahem* classic Italian Sci-Fi/Post Apocalypse films released, like: -

Exterminators of the Year 3000
Endgame
2020 Texas Gladiators
The Humanoid
Starcrash
The New Gladiators (I have the Troma release, but the quality is bobbins!)

Out of these mentioned by Paul,I'd certainly like to see an uncut version of Endgame with the lovely VTC video cover art.It was released cut & uncut on the label.The cut version lost the best part of a minute due to an axe in the head,breast exposure during a rape,an unusual neckbreak & the back of a head being blasted off.The Humanoid is a guilty pleasure & it's a huge surprise George Lucas did not sue !.I saw it on its UK cinema release & it was quite enjoyable so an uncut release of that would go down well too( as well as the sight of Barbara Bach as Lady Agatha in her cleavage enhancing costumes)I thought Exterminators of The Year 3000 was one of the weakest but it would be nice to have it on dvd regardless.New Gladiators is downright boring & one of Fulci's worst films (Good score though).

Last edited by mark meakin; 26th January 2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 26th January 2009, 10:29 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I would love to see After the Fall of New York get an official uk release.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 26th January 2009, 10:43 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by loops View Post
I would love to see After the Fall of New York get an official uk release.
Yes that's pretty good too though I have the dodgy 23rd Century release which looks like it's taken from a decent looking official release (The Mediablasters one ?.)
Old 26th January 2009, 10:44 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark meakin View Post
Yes that's pretty good too though I have the dodgy 23rd Century release which looks like it's taken from a decent looking official release (The Mediablasters one ?.)
I have both of those discs and can confirm the 23rd disc was taken from the MB disc.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 26th January 2009, 12:16 PM
The Big Cheese
Good Trader

Just before we all pee ourselves with the films that could be released I'll step in to let you know the three Shameless currently own the rights to are:

The Bronx Warriors
Escape From The Bronx
The New Barbarians

So the question is what would tempt you to buy these titles again given the previous Vipco releases and other DVDs worldwide? These are films that have reverted to Shameless from Vipco so it makes sense to make use of them. If we can get these to work it'll be a useful argument for then investing in more
Old 26th January 2009, 12:32 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almar@Shameless View Post
Just before we all pee ourselves with the films that could be released I'll step in to let you know the three Shameless currently own the rights to are:

The Bronx Warriors
Escape From The Bronx
The New Barbarians

So the question is what would tempt you to buy these titles

Well since I don't own any of these titles,I wouldn't need any incentives to buy them.All you have to do is release them and they shall be mine

Like this? Share it using the links below!