All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179943Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th November 2022, 12:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
A good one this.

I have it in a three film set along with The Keeper and A Dangerous Man and all three are superior to much of his direct to dvd tat.

I remember a few years ago i counted how many Seagal movies i had on dvd and it was over forty.
I was the same. I used to collect them all. In recent years, I sold most of them. I kept the glorious Warner Brothers films, and Marked for Death. Of the DTV era, I kept Urban Justice, Pistol Whipped, and Driven to Kill.
Old 8th November 2022, 02:05 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Night of the Demon (1957)

Its well documented that director Jacques Tourneur never intended to show the demon in all its glory, but was pressured into doing so by Columbia Pictures, much to his displeasure. However the two sequences featuring the creature are the films highlights and have become iconic moments of British horror cinema. The demon itself looks terrific and the way it appears, out of the sky in a swirl of sparks and smoke is ingenious.

Watching the extras on disc two of Indicator's limited edition Blu-ray set it's annoying how many 'experts' and critics still say the film shouldn't have the demon in it. Except Jonathan Rigby who like myself loves it.
One of my favourites, in spite of the Fraggle Rock reject rather than because of it I'm afraid.
nicholasrope likes this.

Last edited by J Harker; 8th November 2022 at 03:13 PM.
Old 8th November 2022, 06:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

King Solomon's Mines. 1985.

Fortune hunter Allan Quatermain teams up with a young woman to find her missing father who is lost in the African jungle during a exploration.

Richard Chamberlain plays the adventurer who doesn't believe in the Mines but slowly comes round. Sharon Stone plays the Young woman Jesse who is looking for her missing father and a certain map that can lead to the area. Herbert Lom plays the German Colonel who likes listening to Wagner along the way and upsetting John Rhys-Davis who plays the Turkish head honcho who are also looking for the map. Certainly not a film to take seriously but does come with plenty of laughs along the way.

kO5o42Nln0Y3syiv46TrE22lJdM.jpg
Old 8th November 2022, 08:05 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Hell Is for Heroes (1962)

Clint Eastwood's go-to director Don Siegel made this classic well liked war film starring an over intense Steve McQueen, Bobby Darrin and James Coburn as part of a small unit of US soldiers who have to con a nearby German garrison into thinking they hold the whole area rather than just being a few men, until reinforcements arrive.

For a war film this is more character study than action packed spectacle. There are no German soldiers in it other than extras to shoot at so it never feels exciting or indeed tense in the threat department and whilst the various characters of the US company are interesting they certainly aren't The Dirty Dozen.

There's some good black and white photography going on but overall this always feels uninvolving and lacking in substance when compared to many other men on a mission / backs to the wall films.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1509_p_v8_aa.jpg (108.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 8th November 2022, 08:08 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Black Phone. A young boy is kidnapped by the child killer haunting his small town. Trapped in a soundproof basement things do not look good - until he begins receiving phone calls on a dead phone from the killer's former victims urging him to fight back. This 2022 flick is a solid and effective little chiller.
Old 8th November 2022, 09:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Towering Inferno. 1974.

At the opening of a tall skyscraper, a fire breakouts trapping the people who are attending a party along the the architect.

Classic 70s disaster movie with a good star line up of Steve McQueen, Paul Newman, Faye Dunaway, William Holden, Fred Astaire, Robert Vaughn, Richard Chamberlain. Making a new building and cutting costs doesn't work, this film should be a PSA for some councils especially Dundee as they enjoy cutting corners and paying for it now. This one no matter how many times I watch it, still keeps me entertained and still got the tense moments going but still you want to punch the Richard Chamberlain's character in the face, but liked the way the makers kept things up with the characters passing the blame about.

download (2).jpeg
Old 8th November 2022, 10:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Towering Inferno. 1974.

At the opening of a tall skyscraper, a fire breakouts trapping the people who are attending a party along the the architect.

Classic 70s disaster movie with a good star line up of Steve McQueen, Paul Newman, Faye Dunaway, William Holden, Fred Astaire, Robert Vaughn, Richard Chamberlain. Making a new building and cutting costs doesn't work, this film should be a PSA for some councils especially Dundee as they enjoy cutting corners and paying for it now. This one no matter how many times I watch it, still keeps me entertained and still got the tense moments going but still you want to punch the Richard Chamberlain's character in the face, but liked the way the makers kept things up with the characters passing the blame about.

Excellent film. Have you seen Earthquake? Another classic seventies disaster movie. Highly recommended.
Old 8th November 2022, 10:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Excellent film. Have you seen Earthquake? Another classic seventies disaster movie. Highly recommended.
Yeah ages ago but it's on my list to view again along with some other 70s disaster movies
Old 8th November 2022, 10:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Yeah ages ago but it's on my list to view again along with some other 70s disaster movies
Juggernaut is very good. Aka Terror on the Britannic.
MacBlayne, nicholasrope and iank like this.
Old 8th November 2022, 10:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Juggernaut is very good. Aka Terror on the Britannic.
Thank you Den I'll try and find that one, most of them I have seen Cassandra Crossing, Airport, The Swarm , Rollercoaster, some have popped up

City on fire
Avalanche
Skujacked
Flood
Gray Lady Down,

I'm sure i can get these found and watched at some point

Like this? Share it using the links below!