Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Television
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree13867Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th February 2017, 11:21 AM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I've never heard of Shut Eye. Admittedly i'm not the greatest tv watcher and can get stuck in a 60's/70's groove but i've usually heard of shows.
Its on Crave TV here in Toronto...I just randomly pick shows that sound somewhat interesting or exciting...below is whats all about..from IMBD...

"Charlie Haverford is a scammer with a small chain of fortune-telling storefronts and contracts building tricks for a family that controls the business in the greater chunk of Los Angeles. A blow to the head from a client's angry boyfriend intersects with a hypnosis session while auditioning a new "clairvoyant," and suddenly, a man whose entire life has been based on fraud begins to see and feel some very real and fundamental truths. Charlie's wife Linda is sick and tired of their mediocre life and wants to break away from Fonso, the single father who runs the Marks family's psychic empire, and controls the Haverford's future. Rossellini co-stars as Rita, the cunning, seductive, and sadistic matriarch of the Marks clan."

I have been really surprised how much I enjoy this. I won't say its 100% original or the best on t.v. but its a solid show, decent story, and a hell of a cast.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 16th February 2017, 05:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched the first episode of a series of unfortunate events, really don't know what to make of this Neil Patrick Harris is fantastic not sure about everything else.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 16th February 2017, 10:22 PM
Cultist

I've been watching the first two series of Happy Valley, going to watch the last episode tonight. I've really enjoyed it, it's nothing new in terms of content, but I enjoyed the characters and setting, there's a warmth to the 'good' characters despite their flaws. Nice to see Angela Pleasence in a small role in Series 2 as well
Nosferatu@Cult Labs and Rik like this.
Old 17th February 2017, 02:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroid View Post
I've been watching the first two series of Happy Valley, going to watch the last episode tonight. I've really enjoyed it, it's nothing new in terms of content, but I enjoyed the characters and setting, there's a warmth to the 'good' characters despite their flaws. Nice to see Angela Pleasence in a small role in Series 2 as well

Or as we call it in Halifax: Spot the local landmarks
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 19th February 2017, 08:08 AM
Cult Master

When I was a child at school, the high spot of the week was 'television time', where we would watch a programme entitled "How We Used To Live". This was a dramatization of what life in England was like from the Victoria ages until (for me) the second world war

BBC2 is currently broadcasting a series entitled 'Further Back In Time For Dinner', which is a similar thing. It's part of a long-running series, with the umbrella title of 'Back In Time For...' and the basic concept is that a normal 21st century family is given the chance to experience life in a bygone era. For this, they have to dress in the fashions of the day, drive the vehicles of the time, eat whatever would have been available and suffer the hardships and inconveniences of time gone by

Each weeks episode is based around every day being a new year, so the first week would be the 1950's, then the second week being the 1960's etc, showing the changes that happen to everyday objects (home decor, attitudes towards people, inventions etc) and how they impact on the average person

Previous series have been:
  • Back In Time For Dinner, where a family (two parent and their three children) experienced food and happenings between the 1950's and 'the future'
  • Back In Time For Christmas, showing the differences between Christmas celebrations between the 1940's - the 1990's
  • Back In Time For The Weekend, looking at the changes in leisure time between the 1950's and 'the future'
  • Back In Time For Brixton, which took a black British family back to the 1940's when the first Caribbean immigrants came to England, and showing what changes they would have encountered up to the 1990's

The current series is 'Further Back In Time For Dinner', which sees the family living thru the 1900's up until the 1950's. [The most recent episode featured the 1930's]

I'm really enjoying it. Not only as a piece of entertaining television, but also as a nostalgia trip, recognizing things that my parents and grandparents used to have around their homes, and simple things like seeing tins of food from the 1930's, and noticing how much they have changed (and sometimes stayed the same) over time

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 19th February 2017, 07:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched the first two seasons of Charmed and first two episodes of the 4400.
Old 19th February 2017, 08:50 PM
Cult Addict

Thriller. Spell of Evil.

Managed to get another episode of this splendid 70s horror anthology in this evening.
After his wife dies of a sudden mysterious and unexplained illness, wealthy businessman Tony Mansell hires the services of the Modernmates dating agency. Within 24 hours he's paired up with the seemingly perfect Clara, and within days they're married. Only all is not as it seems.
Another excellent episode this one, engaging and while far from terrifying these episodes always have a certain eerie edge to them. Great series.
Old 19th February 2017, 10:08 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Thriller. Spell of Evil.

Managed to get another episode of this splendid 70s horror anthology in this evening.
After his wife dies of a sudden mysterious and unexplained illness, wealthy businessman Tony Mansell hires the services of the Modernmates dating agency. Within 24 hours he's paired up with the seemingly perfect Clara, and within days they're married. Only all is not as it seems.
Another excellent episode this one, engaging and while far from terrifying these episodes always have a certain eerie edge to them. Great series.
I watched that episode a couple of nights ago and loved it. I didn't recognise Diane Cilento, who I think I've only seen in The Wicker Man, with dark hair and wondered why I recognised the voice.
J Harker likes this.
Old 19th February 2017, 10:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

That reminds me that i'm only 9 episodes into my box set. I've ear-marked which episode i'll review next.
Old 19th February 2017, 10:41 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
That reminds me that i'm only 9 episodes into my box set. I've ear-marked which episode i'll review next.
I tend to avoid your thread D. Much as I enjoy it, you don't seem to be watching the episodes in order so unless it's one I've seen I speed on past.

Like this? Share it using the links below!