Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 1980's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree95Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th June 2013, 09:14 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Any more rumours of this classic finally appearing?

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 17th June 2013, 09:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

It would be EPIC if a complete version premiered at a future Frightfest like The Cabal Cut of Nightbreed did.

Last edited by Buboven; 17th June 2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old 17th June 2013, 10:01 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Sure would.
I really hope Criterion have this on their radar!
Jinx_Barkman and trebor8273 like this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 18th June 2013, 06:01 AM
Cultist in Training

Oh how I would love a restored version of this film to be released! The theatrical cut is so frustratingly incomplete and incoherent and if there's a chance of a full-length version being made available then I'll join the queue to get it! I love the Tangerine Dream score, that Silver Crosses theme is one of the best things they ever did! Also, if you haven't read the book, read it - it's an absolute peach!

A year ago I wrote up a little feature on The Keep, enjoy!

The Keep (1983) | Angstinmypants's Blog
Old 18th June 2013, 06:12 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcupine View Post
Oh how I would love a restored version of this film to be released! The theatrical cut is so frustratingly incomplete and incoherent and if there's a chance of a full-length version being made available then I'll join the queue to get it! I love the Tangerine Dream score, that Silver Crosses theme is one of the best things they ever did! Also, if you haven't read the book, read it - it's an absolute peach!

A year ago I wrote up a little feature on The Keep, enjoy!

The Keep (1983) | Angstinmypants's Blog
Interesting read! Many thanks.
The Keep was screened on british telly. I don't recall seeing it on moviedrome but then I was still pretty young when that was going and only rmember catching Terminator and People under the stairs. For quite a while I did have the keep taped off telly but I think it was channel four as it was widescreen. I also had the pre-cert VHS but like a fool sold it on at the advent of DVD because I honestly thought it would get a release.

What i'd like to see is the full extended cut, the 90 minute theatrical cut, a featurette explaining the history of the film and perhaps a commentary. Also the soundtrack thrown in as a bonus would be excellent as well!
Old 18th June 2013, 08:12 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post

What i'd like to see is the full extended cut, the 90 minute theatrical cut, a featurette explaining the history of the film and perhaps a commentary. Also the soundtrack thrown in as a bonus would be excellent as well!
..You'll be asking for the original artwork on the cover next.
Old 18th June 2013, 08:15 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond72 View Post
..You'll be asking for the original artwork on the cover next.
Hell yes
Old 18th June 2013, 08:19 AM
Cult Addict

Never seen it. If Reap's can vouch on it I might give it a try soon then.

DVD and BD collection
Old 18th June 2013, 09:02 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I would be surprised if The Keep actually attained a 3.5 hour run time on its initial cut. From years of researching this elusive cut, a maximum run time of between 2.5hrs and 3hrs is probably more realistic. The problem then is the death of SFX maestro Wally Veevers during the production. This resulted in a lot of SFX scenes not being finished. Therefore, whatever material is left in Paramount's vaults will be a mix of complete and incomplete, and if a Director's Cut is ever to emerge, then Michael Mann's co-operation and a lot of time and patience will be required.

A look at the alternate ending footage earlier in this thread gives an indication as to how much was chopped out and even this was not the original ending... The treatment of The Keep by the studio at the time remains one of the most infuriating cock ups within Hollywood's long list of clangers frankly.
mlock76 likes this.
Old 18th June 2013, 12:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Indeed, you may all wait to see Hell freeze over before Mann touches that mess...his Major Dundee etc.....

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!