Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > The 1970's And Beyond > The 2000's
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th March 2010, 09:36 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by napalm-in-the-morning View Post
Yes, it looks like Optimum have had any confidence in the film knocked out them fast and hard by negative word of mouth and internet rumour. They have slapped together a bare bones disc and sneaked it onto the shelves fast and quiet. Surprising that they even bothered with a blu ray pressing! I suspect the US R1 disc WILL have commentary, trailers and assorted extras. In the UK this has been treated with the same disinterest usually reserved for a Steven Seagal title. A great pity it couldn't have been picked up by Shameless!
Hi! Just thought it might be worth clarifying that the lack of any extras on the Optimum release of Survival wasn't for the lack of trying. As Romero makes these movies on a shoestring these days, so he can work outside the studio system, he doesn’t make accompanying featurettes or making of’s, Optimum did ask and would gladly have paid for stuff to include on the release from the production company but alas nothing was available – similarly with trailers or anything, again nothing was available. I’m told the eventual US release will be similarly vanilla but not through want of trying in this case!
Old 18th March 2010, 10:08 AM
Cultist

Location: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Skullsdirect/120011381348699

Thanks for the update. It is a shame and I would have thought a commentary track would have been of minimal cost and ensured some more sales and a better reception. At least it got a release and I enjoyed it! I would have thought a company like Lionsgate would have given someone like Romero both a larger budget and artistic freedom. They have no problem financing dozens of brutal slasher films and allowing all sorts of mayhem on screen without insisting on MPAA compliance.
Old 18th March 2010, 11:46 AM
Cultist in Training

Its funny though this film has had tons of negative press but we all seemed to go out and buy this within the first week of release. the romero name still makes sales.
Old 18th March 2010, 01:06 PM
Cultist

Location: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Skullsdirect/120011381348699

Like I said, I enjoyed it. I have certainly seen a LOT worse of straight to video material. Romero is a smart guy and I am sure he realises he has a VERY strong fan base within the straight to video market that Diary kicked off for him. Acknowledging that fact I would have thought he would tailor his whole package towards the DVD fan market with a commentary, EPK, etc.
Old 18th March 2010, 03:19 PM
Cultist

Watched this last night, knowing nothing about the story/production beforehand.

Terrible, just awful; will forever be 'that film that had the zombie girl riding a horse' and that's being kind.
Old 18th March 2010, 06:29 PM
Cultist

i've heard a lot of bad reviews about this film,
i didnt really like diary of the dead that much but i have seen worse films :P
i'll have to see this to judge for myself though!
Old 18th March 2010, 09:55 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

I had the misfortune of watching this earlier on and it was more abominable than either Dr Phibes or a snowman. Just dire. GPR79 is bang on.

I'd sooner have my eyelids stapled to Ann Widdecombe's arse rather than sit through this lamentable pile of ghastly bilge again.
Old 18th March 2010, 10:10 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
I had the misfortune of watching this earlier on and it was more abominable than either Dr Phibes or a snowman. Just dire. GPR79 is bang on.

I'd sooner have my eyelids stapled to Ann Widdecombe's arse rather than sit through this lamentable pile of ghastly bilge again.

wow that was harsh.
It wasn't good but I thought first half was better then Land.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 18th March 2010, 10:16 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post

wow that was harsh.
Who is dis Mark Kermode.
Old 18th March 2010, 10:26 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
Who is dis Mark Kermode.

I have no idea who that is

My DVD Collection
Tumblr

Like this? Share it using the links below!