All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th April 2010, 06:01 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds View Post
So, I can't really comment though it does look very sleazy.
Which is exactly my point - Inferno isn't sleazy in the slightest. It's a monster of an Italian neo-gothic horror movie and a masterclass in how to make horror films, rivalled only by Suspiria IMO.

So, to me, the impressions it's giving those who haven't seen it, is showing how poorly this artwork represents the content inside. For people to think it looks 'sleazy' is really underselling the product - and, frankly, is marketing it to all the wrong people. Do you want to attract sexploitation fans or horror fans? If it's the latter, then present something more in keeping with a horror film.

Sorry, Rick - I love your work and I've liked just about everything you've come up with. But this just doesn't look right.
Old 27th April 2010, 06:02 PM
Cult Rookie

Yeh the cover, while cool in itself doesn't really feel right for the film.
Old 27th April 2010, 06:18 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
Which is exactly my point - Inferno isn't sleazy in the slightest. It's a monster of an Italian neo-gothic horror movie and a masterclass in how to make horror films, rivalled only by Suspiria IMO.
Very well said...

Quote:
So, to me, the impressions it's giving those who haven't seen it, is showing how poorly this artwork represents the content inside. For people to think it looks 'sleazy' is really underselling the product - and, frankly, is marketing it to all the wrong people.
... but: I'm guessing Arrow would get more blind buys with a cover like this, than something more neo-gothic. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it fits the mood or tone of the film at all, but from a sales point of view it jumps out (particularly in the arse region ) at the potential customer and would definitely be noticed. For us die-hard Argento fans there will be the classic and instantly recognisable skull reverse for us to enjoy.

I, personally love my cover artwork (hence why I've spent thousands of pounds, euros, and dollars over the years on DVDs with great art, of which I already own the film ), but in it's basic form the cover art is a marketing tool to sell a product, and in this case a big nekkid arse = big attention and (hopefully) = big sales. Hell, it may even get a new generation psyched about Argento films rather than Saw/Hostel knock-offs - and that wouldn't be a bad thing.
Old 27th April 2010, 07:40 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Agreed. I think the cover miss-sells the film. Those picking it up as a 'blind buy' thinking it is some kind of exploitation flick are going to be disappointed and may well be put off buying other Arrow dvds as they may not be 'as advertised' if you get my drift.

I've liked most of Rick's artwork up to now, but I think this one is a bit of a misjudgement.

Perhaps one of the other upcoming panels could be used as the cover as seen in the shops?
Old 27th April 2010, 07:53 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Any news yet from the BBFC?
Old 27th April 2010, 07:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
Very well said...

.. but: I'm guessing Arrow would get more blind buys with a cover like this, than something more neo-gothic. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it fits the mood or tone of the film at all, but from a sales point of view it jumps out (particularly in the arse region ) at the potential customer and would definitely be noticed. For us die-hard Argento fans there will be the classic and instantly recognisable skull reverse for us to enjoy.

I, personally love my cover artwork (hence why I've spent thousands of pounds, euros, and dollars over the years on DVDs with great art, of which I already own the film ), but in it's basic form the cover art is a marketing tool to sell a product, and in this case a big nekkid arse = big attention and (hopefully) = big sales. Hell, it may even get a new generation psyched about Argento films rather than Saw/Hostel knock-offs - and that wouldn't be a bad thing.
Agreed; its a marketing ploy used by Arrow to try to get more buys from people outside the classic horror film lovers clique. I think the blind buy market must be a key target for DVD releasers, much more so than the already-converted market. Shameless are also culpable for doing this. I'm very glad both companies have reversible covers

Don't Arrow also call this new range of new-releases and re-releases, "Masters of Giallo" ? That is surely a misleading name too, as I hardly think films like Caligula are Gialli It might get people googling 'giallo' and finding themselves a new genre, so I guess its swings and roundabouts

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti
Old 27th April 2010, 08:06 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Only the first 3 titles released on the Arrow Video label were called Masters Of Giallo.Even the newer Argento discs don't say it anymore.
Old 27th April 2010, 09:52 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevoj View Post
Any news yet from the BBFC?
Nothing yet. You'll be the first to know but keep those fingers VERY tightly crossed.
Old 27th April 2010, 09:53 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

First time I saw this I wondered what it was for...turned out to be Inferno.
Boy was I surprised.
I thinks it's some great artwork but really...Inferno?
Maybe stretching it a bit.

Like mentioned before substitute the corpse by a shark/add zombie hand,do some retouching...Zombie 2 coolest artwork ever!
Old 27th April 2010, 10:45 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
Nothing yet. You'll be the first to know but keep those fingers VERY tightly crossed.
I may get cramp because of how tightly I have them crossed but it'll be worth it
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!