Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th March 2011, 11:38 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargento View Post
So, look at Arrow's Blu releases so far .... now how many of these WERE shot in HD sound? None!!! Yes the original audio is very important, as is the overall cinematic A/V experience. The sound 5.1 DTS-HD on The Beyond is awesome, so where is it for the others?

The Beyond

English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio and original English and Italian mono audio options

…..

Inferno

Optional 7.1 DTS-HD/2.0 Stereo Audio

…..

Battle Royale

5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, Stereo Audio options.

…..

Day Of The Dead

5.1 DTS HD Master Audio and 1.0 Mono audio options.

…..

Dawn Of The Dead

Optional 7.1 DTS-HD/2.0 Stereo Audio

…..

Caligula

5.0 DTS HD or 2.0 Stereo

…..

City Of The Living Dead

7.1 DTS HD 5.1 DTS HD 5.1 2.0 Stereo

…..

AND THEN THINGS BEGAN TO FALL APART FOR US ARGENTO FANS.

Deep Red

Optional Dolby 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio/Stereo Italian Audio and Mono/Stereo English Audio (NO English 5.1)

Phenomena

2.0 Stereo (Eh?!)

…..

Tenebrae

1.0 Mono (An Insult!)

Bird With Crystal Plumage

1.0 Mono (An Insult Again!)

Starting to wonder
So am i, Sargento!

I hate to confess it but i'm starting to feel that perhaps Arrow's standards are starting to slip ever so slightly. I do stress the word 'Perhaps', however!

Despite Phenomena being a fine package this release could've benefitted from the Creepers cut imo. After all, A Bay Of Blood and Deep Red boasted more than one version of the movie in question. So why not Argento's supernatural shocker?

Then there's the compromised widescreen affair afforded to TBWTCP. Plenty of forum members blood boiling over this decision no doubt and understandably so especially in the face of BU's previous full ratio HD presentation. I also admit i was hoping for more bonus material on Arrow's BR edition.

At least Tenebrae seems a suitably solid contribution with plenty of extras. That said, i'll be holding on to my old ABUS and ABUK DVDs along with any other SD version i own of Argento's popular Giallo purely for their own relevant supplementary additions. I only hope Arrow give Tenebrae a much needed boost where PQ is concerned as i've never seen a truly great looking transfer of the film.
Old 26th March 2011, 12:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Thanks for that Splat. What I find incredibly annoying is that everyone is saying "well the film wasn't shot with DTS HD 5.1 sound" I KNOW THAT! I AM NO IDIOT! So why oh why are these available on other titles like Dawn, Day, Beyond, Inferno ... yadda yadda yadda!

In other words give fans what they want or they will shop elsewhere .. I know folks like Almar are going to say "well that's your choice, we don't force you" ... but that's not really the point is it?
Old 26th March 2011, 12:18 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargento View Post
In other words give fans what they want or they will shop elsewhere .. I know folks like Almar are going to say "well that's your choice, we don't force you" ... but that's not really the point is it?
Just because Arrow have opened themselves up to the fans on this forum, I'm sure they won't be held hostage by people who demand that they get everything they want on a release or they won't buy it. Sorry, but It doesn't work like that. So I'll be the one to say it. Don't buy it then. It's as simple as that. Just because some releases have a certain sound format etc, doesn't mean that people better get the same on all releases, or else.
Old 26th March 2011, 03:37 PM
Active Cultist

well happy this has the orginal mono sound track .I find fake stereo soundtracks annoying
Old 26th March 2011, 05:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Just because Arrow have opened themselves up to the fans on this forum, I'm sure they won't be held hostage by people who demand that they get everything they want on a release or they won't buy it. Sorry, but It doesn't work like that. So I'll be the one to say it. Don't buy it then. It's as simple as that. Just because some releases have a certain sound format etc, doesn't mean that people better get the same on all releases, or else.
Lovely attitude there Stephen ... not surprised though at all. Like others say "speak your mind, get shot down!"

Consider my pre-orders cancelled.
Old 26th March 2011, 05:57 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

It's just that I've seen a few people saying stuff like that. Arrow, you BETTER do this and that or we won't buy it. If you want to cancel your pre-order then fine. Just don't try and blame me for it.
Old 26th March 2011, 06:12 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Glad to see this getting a BD release.
Also glad to see the majority of people appreciating one of Argento's best getting the HD treatment.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 26th March 2011, 06:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
It's just that I've seen a few people saying stuff like that. Arrow, you BETTER do this and that or we won't buy it. If you want to cancel your pre-order then fine. Just don't try and blame me for it.
Don't take it personally Stephen ... I had simply asked originally why certain things were omitted ... and if that can't be answered, just say so .. don't get on your high horse and talk down to people as you did in your post. But as I have said before, Arrow has built up a fantastic relationship with it's fans via Cult Labs and to be fair can do without losing potential sales.

Once again, my opinion. Everyone else has theirs and they are welcome to it. I certainly feel that ALL my comments have been justified.

Nuff said
Old 26th March 2011, 08:18 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post
I hate to confess it but i'm starting to feel that perhaps Arrow's standards are starting to slip ever so slightly. I do stress the word 'Perhaps', however!

Despite Phenomena being a fine package this release could've benefitted from the Creepers cut imo. After all, A Bay Of Blood and Deep Red boasted more than one version of the movie in question. So why not Argento's supernatural shocker?
Audio quality is one thing. How can you say that you feel Arrow is starting to slip on something solely based of what some fans want? Is good to have an opinion and surely is good for someone to have a wish.

"Deep Red / Profondo Rosso" had it´s English version made with small cuts to the story, without hurting the murder set pieces or the gore. No loss there apart from the story. This version is loved by some and hated by others.

"A Bay of Blood" had it´s dialogue filmed twice (in English and Italian) for the latter release on both markets. This move was intentional from the start, but it doesnt had ´nothing to the movies itself.

As for "Phenomena", New Line retitled it with title "Creepers" for the U.S. release and was heavily edited with nearly thirty minutes of footage removed. The murders were shortened by several seconds, gore was removed.

While "Deep Red" suffered from edition and "A Bay Of Blood" was edited with alternative footage, "Phenomena" was cut to pieces by it´s American distributor.

While the inclusion of this cut would made this edition a little more "complete", I don´t see it´s true importance as I think this version would´l only had been seen by a few people and as a one time base... C´mon, who would want to enjoy "Phenomena" with it´s gore and murders scenes removed?
Old 27th March 2011, 08:59 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
People should choose to spend their hard earned however they like, it's their prerogative. No one is holding anyone to ransom. From feedback on this very forum we've seen changes made to releases, so surely this is the very place to cite such constructive criticism? I was always under the impression that is why Arrow Video liase with liase with you cult labs bods in the first place?
Closed Thread  

Like this? Share it using the links below!