Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels > Arrow Video > Arrow Archives
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree323Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th May 2012, 08:10 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
I agree with you Stephen. Also, most of the screenshots that I have seen don't represent what I see on screen. I agree that there are some compression problems in darker scenes, but I didn't notice that in brighter scenes (even standing right in front of the screen).
(While, for example, the compression artifacts were very obvious in City Of The Living Dead)

People, don't worry to much and get this great release Arrow have really shown a big improvement here. Next time, get the encoding done better and you will be able to release a perfect product!

(Listening to the incredible heavy metal soundtrack of "Demons" while writing this)
Yeah, City of the Living Dead had a huge problems with those damn artifacts, especially noticable in all those shots with fog in them, which there are a lot of.

Glad to hear the blocking is less on Demons

I hope Arrow listens, and improve on bitrate/size next time.
Old 6th May 2012, 08:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

After the shitshow that was Machine Girl, I'm happy with just about any transfer now. I swear that entire film was just blocks.
Old 6th May 2012, 08:25 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Machine girl was an horrible upscale, since the movie was shot on standard def video. Even the DVD version has jagged edges and artifacts
Old 7th May 2012, 12:37 PM
Seasoned Cultist

BEHOLD!!!
demons.jpg

Can´t believe I´m finally actually holding a Demons blu-ray in my hands

Just scanned through it to check the quality, and it´s a jawdropping upgrade!
Great sharpness, finedetails, colors and fine filmgrain without any of that damn "LVR" noise that we´ve come to expect from all those italian releases the last few years.
Sure, there are some artifacts, but FAR from what I expected, and I doubt most will even notice them or care

Checked the bitrate, and it´s pretty steady around 18-29 Mbps, which is much higher than what was mentioned before. checked it both in my Sony BD360 player and my PC through PowerDVD, and they both give me the same numbers. Sure it can dip down below 10Mbps, but that´s mostly during very dark scenes with barely anything on screen, OR during the opening credits, other than that, it goes high when it´s needed and stays there.

Btw, I also read, that the 12.9gb is only for the video stream, so combined with the audio, the filesize of the movie should actually be closer to 18gb, and the total used size on the disc is 22.9 gb.
So, pretty normal for a 90 min feature on a 25gb disc after all, especially when it only have mono tracks. So no need to worry about this anymore
I haven´t checked part 2 yet, but I expect no less from that one, so I didn´t bother with it

HUGE thanks to Arrow, for finally bringing these classics to DVD/BD.
Those two years sure was worth all the wait from what I´ve seen so far!

Will make an awesome double-feature tonight!

Now...bring on "Atlantis Interceptors" to DVD/BD, and my life is complete

Cheers!!
Pete, LoBo, PaulD and 2 others like this.
Old 7th May 2012, 02:29 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I still can't understand why so many people are upset with the "Fine Primo Tempo" thing.
Demons was made at a time when intermissions were part of the movie experience.
Many European Vhs had that... and now Arrow BD have it, meaning both were transfered from the film negative.

When that appears, the imagem freezes... so maybe, all other editions that don't have this, the companies cut this part.

For me, a big thank you to Arrow for including this because it is part of my Demons experience since childhood... Very nostalgic indeed.
Old 7th May 2012, 02:37 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
I'm surprised at the negative comments about Demons. To me it looks great, and I'm extremely critical of transfers.
Must be bloody good then!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 7th May 2012, 03:35 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

One of Arrow's most impressive releases thus far in terms of PQ. This was worth the wait
Steel76 likes this.

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti
Old 7th May 2012, 04:14 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Gotta say I come to love the artwork on the steelbook.
I wasn´t sure about the paintings when I saw the pictures of them, but now, seeing them upclose, they are a lot more detailed, and got a lot more stuff going on, than I first expected

Are the artwork made by the same guy that did the Demons 3 comics?
Old 7th May 2012, 05:55 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by springjack View Post
I still can't understand why so many people are upset with the "Fine Primo Tempo" thing.
I couldn`t care less if it was included or not. The interval will not bother me the slightest.
Pete likes this.
Old 7th May 2012, 07:02 PM
Seasoned Cultist

What the heck?

About 37min into the first movie, the scene in the projection room, the English track suddenly switches to a stereo mix!
After the intermission the sound goes back to mono.

Was the US track incomplete so they had to temporarily use the english euro mix?

It was really surprising when the sound suddenly became louder and the music started to get pumped through the rest of the speakers.

Guess they had to do a patch work with the mixes in that scene.

Last edited by Steel76; 7th May 2012 at 07:24 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!