LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th July 2012, 07:31 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by springjack View Post
What extra expense?

If the steelbook was listed as a dual format in the first place, the cost of it was already accounted for.
Even so, Arrow may have re-run their numbers and made the change in order to save more money.

After all, they need to save as much money as they can in order to release a definitive edition of Stagefright on Blu-ray.
Old 7th July 2012, 08:09 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
After all, they need to save as much money as they can in order to release a definitive edition of Stagefright on Blu-ray.
Or Grease 2!
Old 7th July 2012, 09:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I also very rarely watch the DVD which comes in a dual format release but, I have to think in my household and not only in myself.

My two brothers like to watch our stuff in their rooms and they only have means to play DVD there.
Old 7th July 2012, 09:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Even so, Arrow may have re-run their numbers and made the change in order to save more money.

So why not turn the DVD obsolete for both versions?
As much as I like dual releases, if money is the case, It´s not very logic a "limited edition" to be more "bare bones" than a "unlimited" one.

Why not the other way around??? Certainly has more logic to include the DVD on the limited (steelbook) than on the unlimited.

There´s always money for a good quality release of good quality cult movie. If done right, and if the movie is any good, it recoups.

Using your wish as an example, Stagefright (soavi) is a quality movie recognized universally.
Old 7th July 2012, 09:57 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

The 'limited' aspect is more to do with the steelbook packaging.

It wouldn't make sense for Arrow to make the dual format releases limited, as they aid as a good bridging mechanism for those who are thinking of adopting Blu-ray in the near future, those that don't necessarily have access to a BD player all the time, and those that may want to lend out their films to friends etc. The vast majority of people who fit into this category would also not want to shell out extra dough for a steelbook just to get the DVD.

It is also a much cheaper option than releasing both an Arrow Video BD and a separate DVD variant (as per their previous releases). Next year, we'll no doubt also see a bare-bones Arrowdrome release for the purely DVD only / budget buying crowd.

Arrow do seem to be heavily experimenting with their marketing strategy, and it will be interesting to see how it plays out and whether it works financially for them.

We may get to a point where we're just looking at Arrow Video BD only and Arrowdrome DVD released together. That would probably be one of the cheapest options for Arrow, and would satisfy all parties to a degree. However, I'd rather they stayed on the track of trying to please their fans and including some juicy limited editions now and then.
Old 7th July 2012, 10:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
The 'limited' aspect is more to do with the steelbook packaging.

It wouldn't make sense for Arrow to make the dual format releases limited, as they aid as a good bridging mechanism for those who are thinking of adopting Blu-ray in the near future, those that don't necessarily have access to a BD player all the time, and those that may want to lend out their films to friends etc. The vast majority of people who fit into this category would also not want to shell out extra dough for a steelbook just to get the DVD.

It is also a much cheaper option than releasing both an Arrow Video BD and a separate DVD variant (as per their previous releases). Next year, we'll no doubt also see a bare-bones Arrowdrome release for the purely DVD only / budget buying crowd.

Arrow do seem to be heavily experimenting with their marketing strategy, and it will be interesting to see how it plays out and whether it works financially for them.

We may get to a point where we're just looking at Arrow Video BD only and Arrowdrome DVD released together. That would probably be one of the cheapest options for Arrow, and would satisfy all parties to a degree. However, I'd rather they stayed on the track of trying to please their fans and including some juicy limited editions now and then.
And aren´t those dual-format coutumers your refer to as "thinking of adopting Blu-ray in the near future" entitle to choose the limited release?

It you say it wouldn't make sense for Arrow to make the dual format releases limited, why the steelbook of King of New York was dual?
Old 7th July 2012, 10:45 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
And aren´t those dual-format coutumers your refer to as "thinking of adopting Blu-ray in the near future" entitle to choose the limited release?
They still could, if they wanted to.

Quote:
It you say it wouldn't make sense for Arrow to make the dual format releases limited, why the steelbook of King of New York was dual?
Possibly because that was one film on one BD; Lady Snowblood is 2 films on 2 BDs, which with a DVD as well could either push the costs up to a level which Arrow aren't happy with, or it could be a space issue as the steelbook may only be able to hold 2 discs like Demons.

It could have been that Arrow were originally going to cram both films on 1 BD, allowing space for a DVD in the steelbook, but then decided to produce a BD for each film. If that is the case, I'm glad the DVD has disappeared from the steelbook. A (potentially) greater quality of main feature on BD is much more important, to me.

But, as I mentioned, I'm only guessing as to the reasons why.
Old 8th July 2012, 08:02 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I like the idea of making the steelbook BD only as thats the one i'm interested in. But i understand the frustation for those who only want their DVD as part of the steelbook as intended in the first place.

I Just hope they don't screw up the PQ. Studios should have learnd by now that we don't our films all shiny and manipulated.
Old 8th July 2012, 11:06 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
They still could, if they wanted to.
No, they couldn´t. Because Arrow deleted that option, leaving them with only a unlimited thing.

Quote:
Possibly because that was one film on one BD; Lady Snowblood is 2 films on 2 BDs, which with a DVD as well could either push the costs up to a level which Arrow aren't happy with, or it could be a space issue as the steelbook may only be able to hold 2 discs like Demons.

It could have been that Arrow were originally going to cram both films on 1 BD, allowing space for a DVD in the steelbook, but then decided to produce a BD for each film. If that is the case, I'm glad the DVD has disappeared from the steelbook. A (potentially) greater quality of main feature on BD is much more important, to me.

But, as I mentioned, I'm only guessing as to the reasons why.
Space isn´t the reason because a plastic steelbook interior for 1, 2, or 3 discs has the same costa.... I know that for a fact because I work in the business. And as an example for the so-called space issue... will you just look at the recent Alien Anthology steelbook from Play.com... 4 discs inside a normal steelbook case.
Old 8th July 2012, 01:56 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
No, they couldn´t. Because Arrow deleted that option, leaving them with only a unlimited thing.
All I'm saying is that they have the option to buy it, if they wish to.

Quote:
Space isn´t the reason because a plastic steelbook interior for 1, 2, or 3 discs has the same costa.... I know that for a fact because I work in the business. And as an example for the so-called space issue... will you just look at the recent Alien Anthology steelbook from Play.com... 4 discs inside a normal steelbook case.
I'm not familiar with the 4 disc Alien Anthology, but I doubt it has a booklet, which the Arrow Video releases have. As 4 discs plus a booklet would equal an uncloseable steelbook, and is also something which I believe was debated in reference to Demons.

Anyway, Arrow have made their decision, and it is up to the consumer to choose which one to buy (if any). I certainly won't be losing any sleep over 'the DVD that got away'.

Like this? Share it using the links below!