Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Gaming
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th August 2009, 07:15 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

One of my faves was The Last Ninja on the C64. Was groundbreaking when it was released as it looked shit hot.
Came in a great box with ninja hood!!
Old 13th August 2009, 07:38 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipco View Post
JAG, lies,? ' Do the Maths' , to me they add up to 64.
Computers, consoles and even pocket calculators don't work like that. The 64bit was a marketing gimmick that most people who knew how about the inner gubbins of those new fangled consoles didn't fall for. It's just as Sony claimed the PS2 was a 128bit system when in fact it's a 64bit system, although the whole "bits = power" mentality went out of the window after that console's release.

The Jaguar was a 32bit system.
Old 13th August 2009, 07:54 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Some of my earliest gaming exploits were Sonic II, James Pond, and Earthworm Jim on the Mega Drive.

Later on me and brother had an N64 and used to play such classics as GoldenEye, Perfect Dark and WWF No Mercy until our eyes bled.

Then it was onto the PS family... Grand Tourismo, WWF Smackdown, Colin McRae Rally...

I've had various PC's from a young age too, so grew up with the shoot 'em up classics like Wolfenstein, Doom, and Quake. I can't be bothered with the new breed of 1st person shooters. They employ fancy actors to voice the characters, put loads of effort into cut-scenes, graphics and SFX, and you come to play it and it's a giant bag of crap. Give me a plasma rifle and some Caco Demons to kill anyday! Other memorable classic PC greats I remember playing were Syndicate Wars, Populous, and Diablo.

The missus had an Amiga when she was young with 100's of games. We've still got it in our understairs cupboard somewhere - we rarely use it anymore though - Micro Machines was a favourite.
Old 14th August 2009, 11:23 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I fomd Micro Machines so frustrating, especially the later 3D versions , yet it looked so much fun.

I know the Jag wasn't really 64bit Noss, , even though I recieved a handwritten 2 page letter from Sam Trameal saying it was and discussing game review scores etc, nice man, but writes like a spider.

mvb, with the cracking Mortal Kombat beater, Kasumi Ninja , you got a 'ninja' headband packed in the box.

Atari counted on the fact that (a), it used 2 ,32bit processors, Tom & Jerry and a 64bit bus band witdh or something to validate its 64bit claim., course as you say is'nt true as piggy backing 2, 32'bit chips doese'nt make a 64 bit chip, though todays Jag fans claim, wrongly imo, that the 64bit bus band thing was enough to class it as ma 64bit console.
I know its a 32bit machine, I was only having a laff.

BTW, where did the bits go.?
What bit are we at now.?

You gotta admit Noss, but the 3DO changed the whole face of console gaming for R.E.A.L. lol, I love that R.E.A.L solgan.

Last edited by vipco; 14th August 2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 14th August 2009, 12:51 PM
Ex-member

the 64 bit bus between a 32bit CPU & GPU is a bit like a motorway with 64 lanes and a bank of 32 toll booths at either end. It needs a controller to break down the flow. However, programmers used the CPU more than the GPU, pushing the CPU's to capacity and underusing the GPU.

The only thing the 3DO did was to make sure that Matsushita kept out of the console business (until the Panasonic Q, after that they really didn't want anything to do with consoles.)
Old 15th August 2009, 01:08 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I was talking to a guy who's well known on the Jag home brew scene , and he was saying that him and a few other American friends, some with dev knowledge and previous Jag experence , had got together with a Brit of similar backgrounds and got permission to finish of the JAGUAR games that were either , not completed or were discontinued projects , from some of the large mainstream company's that once supported the JAG , and in all honesty the beta vid's looked good enough to tempt me into trying to swap my X-360 for a Jag. on their 'Private sales/swap's section , of the closest thing to an offical JAG site you can get, as they have everything here.
They've just released an ice hockey game that I just gotta have, along with Troy Aikman NFL and Kasumi Ninja, to mention 3 .

I actually think if I got the 6 - 9 games I want ,plus a boxed unit and 2 spare pads, i'd be very tempted into trading my PS3, with some games , though the loss of internet access and Blu would have to require some major thinking , that would probably result in the 'rose tinted' glasses being pulled off by the missus ,with shouts off " Are you mad " , so i'll be adding just the 360 plus some games of choice to they're trade section.

Now, the waiting.. Wish me luck.

BTW, if anyone to young to have been around when 3DO, Atart Jaguar, Neo Geo, CD - I etc, filled bedrooms nationwide , then type the console name of choice into U Tube and be prepared to be presently surprised.

Last edited by vipco; 15th August 2009 at 01:20 AM.
Old 10th October 2009, 04:14 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

All X360's will play original X-BOX games straight outta the box , if connected to the internet, with no problems.

If your 360 is'nt connected to the web, if you email MS Customer Services, Console department and request a disc for backwards compatibility , they will send you one free of charge.

The X-BOX has some classic games in its back library that are well worth playing and can be bought for as little as £3.

A cheap way to start 'Semi Retro' gaming.
Old 4th January 2010, 09:16 PM
Cultist

Anyone one here got a Neo Geo AES?

If so are they as awesome as they seem?

Been wanting one for a while but they still sell for quite a lot, gonna maybe shell out for one one day.
Old 9th April 2010, 06:37 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Came across this site today - a list of the 50 Greatest Arcade Machines!!!

http://www.i-mockery.com/minimocks/50arcadecabinets/

They all look amazing! Oooh how I wish I was around back then!
Old 9th April 2010, 11:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Ahh this thread is as nostalgic as the Kids TV one!!! To me, when growing up, Nintendo was the equivalent of CBBC (rubbish!) and Sega were the CITV (awesome!)

James Pond - Robocod haha what a game. I had an Amiga 600 with graphic adventures (point n' clicks) like the LucasArts' Monkey Island games and the Indiana Jones' (about 15 floppies per game ).

My favourite console will always be the master system. A master system 1 was my first ever console and I have very fond memories of playing sonic and alex kid, aztec world and Wonderboy 3: Dragon's Trap (to me, the best game ever made ).

I also have fond memories of playing my cousin's C64 (especially the CodeMasters' DIZZY games...the only one I could ever complete was Prince of the Yolk Folk Dizzy, or maybe Magic Land Dizzy, I forget . I still have all the Dizzy cassettes gracing my bookshelf). Also playing Paperboy and Marble Madness on my mate's NES!

Then I moved on to Mega Drive - Streets of Rage1/2/3 woop woop! & Revenge of Shinobi, Chaos Engine, Speed Ball, space harrier, altered beast.

Then to SNES and then Sega Saturn, prior to PS1 (Sony were new onto the gaming scene & I didnt trust them so I stuck to good old Sega!). But unfortunately the Saturn went belly up so I was forced to get a ps1. I remember my sis buying a Phillips CDI & playing Myst on it for hours on end.

Then the N64 - the classics like Mario 64 & the games that revolutionised multiplayer gaming like Goldeneye, Perfect Dark & Mario Kart 64.

Then I got a PS1 then a PS2, but can't afford a PS3 alas! . I never bothered with the Gamecube, Wii or X-boxes. The only games I ever play on now are pro evo soccer 2010 & Madden NFL 2008

PS. Anyone remember GAMESMASTER, hosted by DOMINIC DIAMOND & starring SIR PATRICK MOORE? that was THE definitive gaming show. I always wanted a golden joystick award!!

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti

Like this? Share it using the links below!