Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Gaming
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree966Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th May 2023, 07:33 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Modern gaming has left me cold the past few years as I have mentioned before this gen in is worse gen of all time lack of games and most games have no soul. There have been a few exceptions but only a few. Anyway I cracked out the PS3 over the last couple of days just need to sort out a charging wire for my controller and I'm good to go. I have a stack of great games ready to rock exciting times ahead.
Old 12th July 2023, 07:49 PM
Cult Master

The upcoming 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre' game looks brutal!

nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 6th September 2023, 09:00 PM
Cult Master

Started playing Starfield not far in but I'm getting a really good feeling about this.
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 8th September 2023, 07:23 AM
Cult Master

After spending 5 hours so far in Starfield just a few thoughts and yes I know it's early and I have heard people say it takes a few hours to get going properly but still just a few words so anyone jumping In is aware.

I'm doing mostly the main missions just to open it up I I'm trying to get to neon city which is the point the game gets really into its stride so I'm ignoring side stuff for now. The game is very load screen heavy not long load times but it's like get a mission jump on your ship grab something jump back on your ship drop it off back on your ship. Landing the ship is more menu chaos pick the planet pick a landing spot then travel there then another menu to land there it could of been more stream line and quicker rather than so many menus feels like I'm flying the bloody ship myself.

Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying it but I can see why so many people are losing interest in it early on.

I'll keep updating here as I progress I could come back next time and absolutely hate this game
nosferatu42 likes this.

Last edited by Nordicdusk; 8th September 2023 at 03:40 PM.
Old 23rd September 2023, 02:44 PM
Cult Master

15 hours into Starfield and I'm struggling missions are too short the game is spent in menus and in your ship travelling just looking at load screens. The story seems interesting but missions are just short and rushed I was expecting it to branch out a bit but a swear it's still feels like the early introduction missions in a GTA game go a short distance return go the same distance return that's ok for the first hour of a game but 15 hours that's not good enough. Now I have hit a road block where I need to buy a new ship for a crazy amount of money I don't have so I can't progress the story. I'm going to have to dig into the side missions hopefully they are better than the main quest.

As it stands I'll finish the main quest and that's me done with it unless there is a big change coming.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 24th September 2023, 09:20 PM
Cult Master

1999.jpg

1999 is a game for the Spectrum released in 1987. It's a run of the mill side scrolling space ship shooter.

The game is almost impossible to play the enemies come at you at a fast pace but your ship and bullets barely have any speed what so ever so it's pretty hard to avoid attacks are kill incoming ships.

Visually it's exactly what you expect from that era and the spectrum a limited number of colour but it's not a mess looks pretty decent .

Sound is bloody horrendous from the main menu music to the sound effect it's actual torture you can feel your brain rattling inside your skull it's so piercing

Overall not fun at all the movement and controls are so sluggish it really just makes the game frustrating.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 24th September 2023, 09:41 PM
Cult Master

ASO_flyer.jpg

Armored Scrum Object

Released in arcades in 1985 but later made an appearance on home consoles in 86 in Japan and 87 in North America.

ASO is a vertical scrolling shooter just like the more well known 1945 but in a sci fi universe.

Once again the gameplay suffers from the difference in movement between your ship and the enemy ships. While your ships fire rate is good it's the movement that ruins the experience it feels like your steering your ship through set jelly at times and there are times bullets were coming towards me almost in slow motion and I knew I'm gonna die but couldn't so anything to get out of the way it's a shame.

Visually I like it even though it's a limited colour pallet it's vibrant and explosions look great especially when you die I really like how much bigger they make your death than when you take down an enemy. There is also a good variety of enemies straight away both ground and air enemies have a really great look to them.

Sound wise the game is great the sounds of things blowing up is satisfying I would of preferred a little bit of a different sound from my bullets it can be a little high pitched but enemy fire all sounds great. There is also a great catchy soundtrack that you find yourself humming along to while playing which is always a welcomed addition to retro games.

Good potential but sluggish controls kills the fun more often than not

121_2.png images.png images.jpeg
nosferatu42 and Graveyard like this.
Old 24th September 2023, 10:03 PM
Cult Master

b5cf00f8-131d-4ff2-a484-e806e2040a33.jpg

Acrobatic Dog Fight

Released in 1984 in arcades this is a multi directional air combat shooter.

The gameplay is extremely challenging and that just keeping your plane airborne it took me a few attempts to even get off the ground because like the title if the game it's an Acrobatic shooter so your plane won't just go left or right up or down well it mostly goes down but the plane keeps trying to spin and do a loop da loop so even before you start firing at enemies your battling with the plane to try keep control add to that fuel consumption and you have a hell of a lot on your plate.

Visually even tho basic it has a really bright and fun look like an old cartoon it's vibrant and colours really pop off the screen. Its pretty funny when you grass when your little character bails and just looks completely p*ssed laying on the ground

Sound they did a really good joke with how satisfying and even relaxing the sound is of the plane engines I love it . A lot of these games can't seem to get the sounds right of your firing it's always loud and annoying but enemy fire sounds great wish they all sounded the same after awhile I don't want to fire at all it's that annoying. There is no soundtrack during gameplay just when you crash or bale out and as you float to ground in your parashoot a little happy ditty plays which I quite enjoyed

Not a bad game once you master the controls but you never really do fully so it's a hard one to enjoy when the slightest touch of the controller and your spinning towards your doom

dogfgtj.png hqdefault.jpg
nosferatu42 and Graveyard like this.
Old 25th September 2023, 03:27 PM
Cult Addict

I enjoyed those reviews Nordy, growing up playing games on the old consoles mainly the Spectrum, Sega, and all incarnations of the Playstation.
What are you playing these on?
Nordicdusk likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 25th September 2023, 03:58 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
I enjoyed those reviews Nordy, growing up playing games on the old consoles mainly the Spectrum, Sega, and all incarnations of the Playstation.
What are you playing these on?
Antstream on Xbox some great titles on it.
nosferatu42 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!