Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Gaming
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1298Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd October 2010, 08:50 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipco View Post
I aint played DJ Hero yet mate but I am very tempted to buy it in HMV as its down to £29, deck controller and all.
I like Rap so the forth comming Rap DJ game has got my interest up.

What way does DJ Hero play Mahoney.? Is it pre set songs you mix or can you do your own mash up's ?

Do you remember that music making game on PS1 by Codies I think.? I loved that,

I know what you mean, Q3 & Q4 are host to some marvellous games and Sham and ARROW are putting out some must own films , i'll be holding off on a few games myself till the price drops so I can get the new Sham and ARROW stuff . I need all the penny's I can save. as I really want most of the new DVDs /BD's announced . Im really looking forward to them all except Vamp, plus im really keen to get the Bronx films in a Shamless yellow box at last and ARROW's Island of Death is really got me excited. Sometimes it sucks to have a few collecting hobbies....LOL

Take your time with Mafia 2 mate as the DLC is PS3 exclusive and it'll be a good game no matter when its bought.
Thank you for your kind remarks, im flattered as I wasn't trying to write a review, just explain the game. Thanks , maybe i'll try a write a few Reviews and get them up.

I wouldn't mind seeing a few Reviews from your good self and a few of the other posters in the Game Threads.
Maybe you could get some 360 stuff up Mahoney.
DJ HERO plays very similar to the GUITAR HERO games. You've got to press the correct coloured buttons, as they roll down the screen, in time with the music. At various points you can drop samples into the tunes. The scratching element to this, is the best part of the game. The game contains around ninety or so remixes, that consist of two classic tracks each. One of my favourites on this is David Bowie's "Let's Dance", mixed with 50 CENT. The game is split into a series of chapters, some of which are hosted by actual famous DJ's and MC's. The Grandmaster Flash and Daft Punk chapters are extremely good fun. Daft Punks "Around the World" is a highlight. It's worth buying at £29 for sure. You might be lucky enough to get hold of the special edition set of the game for next to nothing too now. That was originally £169.99. The set includes the disc, the deck controller, a stand for the deck, and an exclusive CD by Eminem and Jay-Z. I watched a video on xbox live that was about the upcoming DJ HERO 2. It seems they have improved upon every aspect of the original, for the second game, and it also seems to be more "DJ" orientated than before. The online multiplayer looks like great fun this time around. Track wise, the original game consists of a variety of music genre's, which include mainly Rap, dance, pop, RnB, and rock. The whole family would probably enjoy playing this game too...
I don't remember that game you mentioned Vipco, because I was purely a NINTENDO player, back in those day's. I liked my MARIO KART and LEGEND OF ZELDA'S, and F-ZERO then...
I've never seen ISLAND OF DEATH, what's the basic plot of this one then? I know the title well, I just never got to see it. I might do a review of PENETRATION ANGST soon, as I recently saw LOVESICK, SICKLOVE, which stars the same two leads as ANGST. Fiona Horsy and Paul Conway. LOVESICK featured some questionable acting from Conway, but overall, the film was very entertaining, and contained some sexy stuff too..
Did you buy a copy of the Blue-Ray DAY OF THE DEAD by any chance? Just wondering what the new special features were like? The ones that are not on the previous ARROW 2-disc release, which I own a copy of...
So, yeah, will defiantly buy a copy of MAFIA 2 sometime in the future. Another game I would recommend to you, is THE ELDER SCROLLS IV: OBLIVION. It's a huge role play adventure, set in a "LORD OF THE RINGS" style world. I've spent at least 400 hours playing this game so far. It's one of the best value for money games that you can buy, for any console. It's a really good game. Buy if you generally don't like "swords and sorcery" type games, then I don't think you would like it.
But OBLIVION is a great gaming experience, that no gamer should miss out on...
Yeah, I know what you mean, the list of dvd's I have yet to collect just keeps growing and growing. It's getting on nerves now, a bit...

Last edited by Mahoney32; 3rd October 2010 at 07:22 AM.
Old 2nd October 2010, 09:07 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Vipco, I've just found a good thread about the DAY OF THE DEAD special features just now, so don't worry about commenting on that one. Cheers...
Old 2nd October 2010, 11:34 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

No worries mate, and please feel free to call me Vip's, Vip or anything else that takes your fancy, as we're pretty informal here.

I do have the ARROW BD of Day and its well worth upgrading too in either BD or DVD format mate as the new extras are surperb.
I too have the previous ARROW DVD 2 disc Sp Ed of Day and the re release is an improvement on an already top package.

Believe it or not im not that big a PS fan. I always opted for the other consoles available so my route to PS3 started with the Master System, SNES (10 days) then I got seriously into gaming with the 3DO & Atari Jaguar , then Sega Saturn, then (reluctenly) PSX , then Virtual Boy (1 month) N64, then Dreamcast, then again reluctantly PS2 , then XBox ,Game Cube, then X 360 then PS3 and Wii.
I really only ended up with PS consoles due to a lack of support for my then console of choice.

I now have PS3 slim, Black Wii (family's) and PSP 3000, though if it weren't for the web browser and BluRay ability of PS3 i'd have a X360 for sure. I'd also still have my Gizmondo rather than the PSP but they went bust. Pity as it was a great handheld and if it had been supported by the industry it would be ahead of PSP today imho, as they had a widescreen version on the way and had far superior app's and networking set up than PSP.

I've tried games like Oblivion , even Fallout , but I just cant play them. I'd love to be able to play them as they look awesome , but I cant get my head around them. The leveling up etc confuses me.
Can you recommend one suitable for novices but thats not a kids game.?

Last edited by vipco; 2nd October 2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 2nd October 2010, 06:44 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
No worries mate, and please feel free to call me Vip's, Vip or anything else that takes your fancy, as we're pretty informal here.

I do have the ARROW BD of Day and its well worth upgrading too in either BD or DVD format mate as the new extras are surperb.
I too have the previous ARROW DVD 2 disc Sp Ed of Day and the re release is an improvement on an already top package.

Believe it or not im not that big a PS fan. I always opted for the other consoles available so my route to PS3 started with the Master System, SNES (10 days) then I got seriously into gaming with the 3DO & Atari Jaguar , then Sega Saturn, then (reluctenly) PSX , then Virtual Boy (1 month) N64, then Dreamcast, then again reluctantly PS2 , then XBox ,Game Cube, then X 360 then PS3 and Wii.
I really only ended up with PS consoles due to a lack of support for my then console of choice.

I now have PS3 slim, Black Wii (family's) and PSP 3000, though if it weren't for the web browser and BluRay ability of PS3 i'd have a X360 for sure. I'd also still have my Gizmondo rather than the PSP but they went bust. Pity as it was a great handheld and if it had been supported by the industry it would be ahead of PSP today imho, as they had a widescreen version on the way and had far superior app's and networking set up than PSP.

I've tried games like Oblivion , even Fallout , but I just cant play them. I'd love to be able to play them as they look awesome , but I cant get my head around them. The leveling up etc confuses me.
Can you recommend one suitable for novices but thats not a kids game.?
Hi, I never knew PS3 had a web browser, sounds like a bit of a swiss army knife the PS3 then. That's a really good feature to have. Is this what you use when you log on to cult-labs then?
The Dreamcast didn't stick around long did it? I'm glad I didn't buy one of those back in the day. A smart looking console though. I remember that it had the original SOUL CALIBER game on it. SOUL CALIBER 2 on the GameCube was fantastic, a really good 3D fighting game. SC 3 on the PS2 was awful, and SC 4 on the Xbox360 weren't much better either. They just didn't have the same quality of gameplay that the second game had. Remember the day's of ALEX KID? And SHINOBI at the arcades? The years have flown by. I used to be able to complete SHINOBI and STREET FIGHTER 2 on just one twenty pence piece, back then.
I'm looking forward to seeing that documentary featuring Rhodes from DAY. That character cracks me up every time I see the film. A very funny performance. No wonder the rest of the cast couldn't keep a straight face. He was very memorable in DOTD was J.P. The two helicopter pilots were great in this too. Loved the strong Female lead in this film. What did you think of the little Spanish dude then? "So you're stronger than me! so what! So f**king what!". This guy was funny.
I recommend revisiting FALLOUT 3 again. An amazing game, I spent hours playing that one. Again, OBLIVION is great, and I've heard that DRAGON AGE: ORIGIN is meant to be one of the best RPG's available. This ones from the makers of MASS EFFECT 2, which I think you will enjoy. ME 2 is maybe the best RPG to start off with, because the role play aspect of it, is not too heavy for newcomers to role play games, compared to say, OBLIVION or FALLOUT. The action sequences in ME 2 are really exciting to play, the gameplay is top notch. The gunplay is very similar to GEARS OF WAR 2, but it has been improved upon. So I would defiantly recommend ME 2 as your first game of this type. With games like OBLIVION and FALLOUT 3, you have to take your time with them. slowly learn and understand, what all the options and menu screens do, RPG's are not as "instant" as most other games are. You need to take your time with them, and learn how to follow their rhythm. learn what all menus are for, and how to utilise them. Once you have figured out all the controls and menu's, then you will have a really good time with these sorts of games for sure. you will be hooked. One of the things I like about games like this, is the fact that you can set of on your travels in the game, and maybe just chill out with the locals down the local pub, and drink beers. The attention to detail in some of these things is cute at times...
Have you checked out any of those "DVD collection video's" on YOUTUBE yet? I've been watching this one guy's videos called COOLDUDER. He likes his horror movies this guy,seems like a nice fella. Worth checking out mate. Just search for COOLDUDER on YOUTUBE, and a string of his videos should come up...
Old 4th October 2010, 08:21 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

TThanks, i'll put Mass Effect 2 on my 'to get' list.

I loved the DC, it was very Arcade heavy and Soul Calibar was a standout game, even though the DC was unbeatable at doing 2D Fighters.
Sadly piracy, faulty consoles and lack of support from certain companies killed it off far to quick.
Im ashamed to say that I had about 40 pirate titles in my libary though in all fairness I never bought a pirate UK release, all US and Japan only releases, but i've never bought pirate games or films since as I saw the damage they can do.

Sorry to go off topic, right, What are yoy Playing' , well, im playing F1 2010 and found that I was using the Time Trial to get used to each new course in the 2010 Season and when I did move on to Single Race I found a few things wrong with the game that made it seem like a 'work in progress' demo to say the least.
I checked out CodeMasters Forums and they ( CM ) have issued a statement regarding F1 2010.
They are working on a Patch to fix (most) of the games faults.
During longterm play I noticed the A.I. didn't pit on races over 30%, I was punished for the A.I bumping into me, the Practice lap times always had me 24th after an hour real time play yet I could easily get top 3 grid in Qualifying and the out of car cams are too close or too far away. In Pitting , I got held up by the A.I pitting cars in front of me yet if I pitted first the A.I cars behind me drove though me ghost car style, then went solid , holding me back till they reached their Pit Crew, a Pitt took 6 seconds, ! .

There are loads more reported, in fact im a senior member on the Forums there and i've known some guys there for over 3 years and they are serious Racers and they are talking of shelving the game till the Patch comes out as its currently "unplayable" if you want to play with full 'Sim' options on.

A list of proposed fixes and a Thread to add any problems you've noticed is running on the offical CodeMasters site F1 2010 section.

Last edited by vipco; 4th October 2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 4th October 2010, 08:46 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I would like to say CodeMasters had similar problems when DIRT first came out and they did listen to us and got a Patch out asap to fix any gripes we had with broken eliments in that game.

Dont let any reported 'broken' aspects of the game put you off buying it as CM are quick to get Patches out and they automatically install in the game if your 'XBox live' or 'PSN' connected so theres no hassle involved.

As it stands F1 2010 is a compent enough Racer in 'Default' setting and you'll really only notice the main reported faults if you turn on the hardcore aspects like Tire Wear, Fuel consumption etc.

The out of car veiws is a personal thing with me as its my view of choice for all Racing games and is not a game fault.
Old 4th October 2010, 12:22 PM
Cultist in Training

Just picked up Killzone for the PS2 for £4, will be giving that a blast tonight!!!

If in space no one can hear you scream...why do you always hear a spaceship go past???
Old 4th October 2010, 12:50 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjarbar View Post
Just picked up Killzone for the PS2 for £4, will be giving that a blast tonight!!!
Bargain. Nice find mate.
Old 4th October 2010, 12:51 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
I would like to say CodeMasters had similar problems when DIRT first came out and they did listen to us and got a Patch out asap to fix any gripes we had with broken eliments in that game.

Dont let any reported 'broken' aspects of the game put you off buying it as CM are quick to get Patches out and they automatically install in the game if your 'XBox live' or 'PSN' connected so theres no hassle involved.

As it stands F1 2010 is a compent enough Racer in 'Default' setting and you'll really only notice the main reported faults if you turn on the hardcore aspects like Tire Wear, Fuel consumption etc.

The out of car veiws is a personal thing with me as its my view of choice for all Racing games and is not a game fault.
That's good advice mate, thanks for telling us about this...
Old 4th October 2010, 01:19 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
TThanks, i'll put Mass Effect 2 on my 'to get' list.

I loved the DC, it was very Arcade heavy and Soul Calibar was a standout game, even though the DC was unbeatable at doing 2D Fighters.
Sadly piracy, faulty consoles and lack of support from certain companies killed it off far to quick.
Im ashamed to say that I had about 40 pirate titles in my libary though in all fairness I never bought a pirate UK release, all US and Japan only releases, but i've never bought pirate games or films since as I saw the damage they can do.

Sorry to go off topic, right, What are yoy Playing' , well, im playing F1 2010 and found that I was using the Time Trial to get used to each new course in the 2010 Season and when I did move on to Single Race I found a few things wrong with the game that made it seem like a 'work in progress' demo to say the least.
I checked out CodeMasters Forums and they ( CM ) have issued a statement regarding F1 2010.
They are working on a Patch to fix (most) of the games faults.
During longterm play I noticed the A.I. didn't pit on races over 30%, I was punished for the A.I bumping into me, the Practice lap times always had me 24th after an hour real time play yet I could easily get top 3 grid in Qualifying and the out of car cams are too close or too far away. In Pitting , I got held up by the A.I pitting cars in front of me yet if I pitted first the A.I cars behind me drove though me ghost car style, then went solid , holding me back till they reached their Pit Crew, a Pitt took 6 seconds, ! .

There are loads more reported, in fact im a senior member on the Forums there and i've known some guys there for over 3 years and they are serious Racers and they are talking of shelving the game till the Patch comes out as its currently "unplayable" if you want to play with full 'Sim' options on.

A list of proposed fixes and a Thread to add any problems you've noticed is running on the offical CodeMasters site F1 2010 section.
Hi Vipco,
I remember Codemasters back in the days when I used to play games like DIZZY, that one with the "Egg Bloke", on the old Amstrad CPC 464. There was a whole series of those games, they were great back in the day. Codemasters were the Kings of the old cassette loading games. It took 90 minutes to load a game sometimes. You had to sit and watch the paint dry in the meantime...
I think Codemasters are probably known for those sort of problems with games. It would have left a sour taste in the mouth if I discovered what your saying here. So, when ever you said "Codies", you meant Codemasters? I understand now. I wondered what you meant by "Codies" before. I know what you mean now, I've caught on mate.
That's a great move, learning the tracks in advance, I would do the same too. A smart move, some of those sharp corners will finish you, if your not expecting them, otherwise. Just reading your post again...Sounds like a real mess, that new game of yours. I hope they do fix the problem, as that sounds shameful to be honest. I hate it when game companies rush their releases out, before weeding out all the glitches etc. It's not on really, is it? I'm still a little annoyed with Rockstar, over their glitch ridden RED DEAD REDEMPTION game...
When it comes to "What games are you playing", I'm still playing HALO REACH at the moment mate. Half way through Legendary mode right now...
So, when it comes to sport games, What would you recommend to me, especially for online play? I'm up for the challenge. I'll recommend ROCKSTAR TABLE TENNIS to you, as there probably isn't many games out there like it. A tough challenge too, that one..

Like this? Share it using the links below!