Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 7th August 2020 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 632339)
I think Se7en is an excellent film but, for me, David Fincher's most assured and accomplished film is Zodiac. I also rate Gone Girl very highly and really like Fight Club, The Game, and The Social Network.

The only film of his I don't rate is The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, one I saw at the cinema and have never thought about buying since then.

I watched Zodiac last night.Another superb film.

High time Fincher had his own thread....;)

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th August 2020 12:26 PM

Is the directors cut of Zodiac an improvement over the original cinema cut?

I've never seen the film even though i bought Zodiac (original version) when it first came out. I fell asleep when i tried to watch it and remember two guys talking round a table in a police station or newspaper office i think and never bothered to return to it.

Justin101 7th August 2020 12:42 PM

I've only ever watched the Director's Cut version, the bluray only has that one. I have no way to compare the two, it's almost 3hrs long though :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 7th August 2020 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 632345)
Is the directors cut of Zodiac an improvement over the original cinema cut?

I've never seen the film even though i bought Zodiac (original version) when it first came out. I fell asleep when i tried to watch it and remember two guys talking round a table in a police station or newspaper office i think and never bothered to return to it.

I bought the original release and then the director's cut that was released a few months later. The biggest difference between the two is the extra features, with the director's cut having two commentary tracks and a whole load of other supplementary material.

As far as the film goes, the longer version (it's only about 10 minutes longer) has dialogue which makes the killer more interesting, enhances the relationships between the central characters, and makes one of the plot points a bit more logical than in the theatrical version. If you only watch one version, make it the director's cut.

MrBarlow 7th August 2020 03:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally our HMV store managed to get this in stock so upgraded from DVD....Hallelujah.

Attachment 226798

Nostalgic 7th August 2020 05:50 PM

Got Lone Wolf & Cub set (criterion) from zoom, and the following from cex:

Crazy Heart (50p)
Limehouse Golem (£1.50)
Labyrinth Digibook (£12)
Female Prisoner Scorpion set (Arrow) £35

Branching out & trying different types of films (Lone Wolf / FPS never seen before)

gag 7th August 2020 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nostalgic (Post 632370)
Got Lone Wolf & Cub set (criterion) from zoom, and the following from cex:

Crazy Heart (50p)
Limehouse Golem (£1.50)
Labyrinth Digibook (£12)
Female Prisoner Scorpion set (Arrow) £35

Branching out & trying different types of films (Lone Wolf / FPS never seen before)

Love lone wolf and cub, you won’t be disappointed, wouldn’t it be great if someone released the tv version of it, not the manga the live action.
Love to be able to watch it, there are some episodes on YouTube but not all and some aren’t subtitles either.

Nordicdusk 7th August 2020 06:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not a film but just as important

Attachment 226806

The most i have ever spent on a reel so it better cast far and catch fish :lol:

FISHING F*** YEAH

Demoncrat 7th August 2020 07:09 PM

Found some early Chaplin and Old Mother Riley Vs The Vampire (sealed!) and some Buster Keaton shorts (sealed again) in the Xtian shop. 5 for a £1!!

Demoncrat 7th August 2020 10:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I also picked up Secret Agent (UK dvd) to fill out the Hitchcock a bit. A lovely thing with a repro of the poster on the inside of the cover. We shall see about the print, as I'm about to stick it on haha. £1.