Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

J Harker 2nd April 2013 11:34 AM

It's listed on Sainsburies still. I would order one myself but it's listed as having no extras whatsoever. If anyone can confirm this?

trebor8273 2nd April 2013 11:38 AM

Happy birthday jinx:clap:

fuzzymctiger 2nd April 2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 332247)
It's listed on Sainsburies still. I would order one myself but it's listed as having no extras whatsoever. If anyone can confirm this?

Not interested if it has no extras then. Can anyone confirm?

Rik 2nd April 2013 11:51 AM

I've just popped the DVD copy into my PC to check and there's bugger all extras wise on there, it's actually the same DVD as in my MGM 2 Disc set. I'll check the BD out in a bit. There's nothing listed on the card slip so it looks like it's bare bones, wish I'd known before I ordered it because according to Amazon it has the following extras:

On disc one, the film itself looks clinically sharp in a faultless widescreen (1.85:1) anamorphic transfer, while the Dolby 5.1 soundtrack makes the most of the chilling sound effects and Howard Shore's masterfully understated score. Unlike the Region 1 Criterion Collection, however, there is no audio commentary at all. On the second disc, the all-new hour-long "making-of" documentary features contributions from the screenwriter, producer, composer, costume designer, make-up effects people and even the moth wrangler ("There were no moths harmed in the filming!") as well as Ted Levine (Buffalo Bill) and Anthony Hopkins, who talks at length about creating Lecter. Conspicuous by their absence are Jonathan Demme and Jodie Foster. Aside from the usual trailers and stills gallery there are 21 deleted scenes, many of which are not whole scenes but deleted excerpts, a promotional featurette made in 1991 and an outtakes reel that proves the cast really did have fun making this scary picture. For those who want to scare all their friends, there's also an answerphone message from Anthony Hopkins "in character".

PaulD 2nd April 2013 11:53 AM

I wonder if its a new transfer? Can't imagine so but the previous bluray release was a bit waxy and DNRy I thought.

Stephen@Cult Labs 2nd April 2013 11:58 AM

Fox are shitty when it comes to these steelbooks. Did the same with Braveheart. The BD was disc 1 of the 2-disc standard BD release (with a couple of extras), and the dvd. Pissed me right off when I opened it and saw this.

Rik 2nd April 2013 12:05 PM

The BD has all the extras from the previous release from what I can tell, I haven't seen the other version so I can't compare transfers, I'll update this when I've finished watching it.

J Harker 2nd April 2013 12:18 PM

Sorry Rik I'm confused (and possibly thick) Are you saying the steelbook blu has all the same extras as the previous blu ray?

fuzzymctiger 2nd April 2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 332253)
The BD has all the extras from the previous release from what I can tell, I haven't seen the other version so I can't compare transfers, I'll update this when I've finished watching it.

I doubt they'd do a new transfer, or you would have heard about it.

Most of these steelbooks are just the old discs whacked into a new case.

Rik 2nd April 2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 332254)
Sorry Rik I'm confused (and possibly thick) Are you saying the steelbook blu has all the same extras as the previous blu ray?

Yeah, after a quick check on DVD compare, they are the same. BTW, the transfer looks fine to me.

J Harker 2nd April 2013 12:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone have this set?

Attachment 105550

PaulD 2nd April 2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 332257)
Does anyone have this set?

Attachment 105550

I do. It's pretty good and can sometimes be found for a tenner online. The discs have their fair share of extras too

tele1962 2nd April 2013 01:43 PM

Just received Dracula 3D ( Dario Argento) on Blu.:fear: Camera batteries are flat wil try and post i pic later.:)

demonknight 2nd April 2013 02:49 PM

Gamera Bluray Trilogy Boxset arrived this morning.
Hopefully more deliveries tomorrow ;)

SharonLynette 2nd April 2013 02:54 PM

A lot of arrivals today but only one thing of interest to you guys!
It didn't arrive too late, I usually worry with pre-ordering with Amazon, worth the worry for £11.

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL431.../406176024.jpg

Metallicbomb 2nd April 2013 02:59 PM

First pile in nearly a week
The Possesion Of Joel Delanley
The Inbetweeners Movie (Blu-Ray)
Paranormal Activity 4 (Blu-Ray)
Midnight Movie (Blu-Ray)
The Man With The Iron Fists (Blu-Ray)
Dracula 3D (3D Blu-Ray)
Pelts
The Uncanny
The Descent Part II
Escape From Alcatraz
The US Blu-Ray of Midnight Movie said it was region A but it plays on my ps3 and the transfer is so much better than the crappy UK OMG! DVD, does anyone else have any other DVDS by OMG! As I only have the one but get the impression they are a horrible little shit company.

Hawkmonger 2nd April 2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonknight (Post 332277)
Gamera Bluray Trilogy Boxset arrived this morning.
Hopefully more deliveries tomorrow ;)

Mind giving a quick run over? I'm quite interested in it, looks like a good set.

Rik 2nd April 2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 332278)
A lot of arrivals today but only one thing of interest to you guys!
It didn't arrive too late, I usually worry with pre-ordering with Amazon, worth the worry for £11.

http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL431.../406176024.jpg

Just finished watching it, still my favourite of all the Hannibal Lector films and despite all the crap reviews on Amazon, I couldn't see a thing wrong with the transfer

trebor8273 2nd April 2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 332280)
Mind giving a quick run over? I'm quite interested in it, looks like a good set.

It's actually very good, surprised how good the picture quality is on these, first two movies are on one disc and third has its own disc.

I must be one of the few people who enjoyed manhunter more than silence of the lambs, but its still a great movie

BAKA 2nd April 2013 03:29 PM

I hadn't seen you post some pick ups for a while I was getting worried. :tongue1:

This lot arrived today for me:
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...ps15cc0fc0.jpg

The David Lynch set and Weekend (lovely slipcover) are things I've been meaning to pick up for a while. The second box of the Persona 4 anime series, love the game, still haven't gotten around to watching the first box though. Deadly Blessing finally arrived from Amazon :D Going to open it and check my art card. I also got something I'd declared lost from Sainsburys, so I'll be sending that back. 26 days to arrive though... crazy.

trebor8273 2nd April 2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKA (Post 332288)
I hadn't seen you post some pick ups for a while I was getting worried. :tongue1:

This lot arrived today for me:
http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/...ps15cc0fc0.jpg

The David Lynch set and Weekend (lovely slipcover) are things I've been meaning to pick up for a while. The second box of the Persona 4 anime series, love the game, still haven't gotten around to watching the first box though. Deadly Blessing finally arrived from Amazon :D Going to open it and check my art card. I also got something I'd declared lost from Sainsburys, so I'll be sending that back. 26 days to arrive though... crazy.

Great choices apart from weekend which I've never seen

SharonLynette 2nd April 2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 332282)
Just finished watching it, still my favourite of all the Hannibal Lector films and despite all the crap reviews on Amazon, I couldn't see a thing wrong with the transfer

You know I used to hate the film. I found it quite boring as a child but absolutely love Manhunter which is still my favourite. But as I've got older I;ve started to love SOTL more and more to the point where I frigging love it, but not quite as much as Manhunter. Whenever I hear Q. Lazzarus or Tom Petty I think of SOTL.

Rik 2nd April 2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 332293)
Whenever I hear Q. Lazzarus or Tom Petty I think of SOTL.

I'm the same whenever I hear Iron Butterfly, always reminds me of Manhunter

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd April 2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 332297)

Its The Simpsons with me Rik.

Rik 2nd April 2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 332301)
Its The Simpsons with me Rik.

How come? :confused:

SharonLynette 2nd April 2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 332297)

Great visuals with that scene as well as great music, it just makes the whole film amazing. I love In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida as a song itself though.

ArgentoFan1987 2nd April 2013 04:35 PM

Recent purchases/arrivals. I have more to come.

Not seen*

Sorry I posted this in the wrong thread.

Jinx_Barkman 2nd April 2013 04:46 PM

You are in for a real treat when you watch Cleopatra Jones. It is probably my favorite, or at least in my top three favorite blaxploitation films.

ArgentoFan1987 2nd April 2013 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinx_Barkman (Post 332352)
You are in for a real treat when you watch Cleopatra Jones. It is probably my favorite, or at least in my top three favorite blaxploitation films.

Thanks a lot! I'm glad to hear that! I'm a massive Blaxploitation fan. I put off getting this one for a while as I though it was going to be a "Mickey mouse" one. I'm glad you rate it highly and I'll watch it ASAP!

What are your other two favourites?

Rik 2nd April 2013 04:54 PM

That reminds that I need to rebuy Identity seeing as I lent it to a mate years ago and never got it back because he lent it someone else, which is why I no longer lend stuff out :mmph:

ArgentoFan1987 2nd April 2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 332359)
That reminds that I need to rebuy Identity seeing as I lent it to a mate years ago and never got it back because he lent it someone else, which is why I no longer lend stuff out :mmph:

Yep, I've learned that many a time. I not longer lend stuff out also, the exception being my brother.

Rik 2nd April 2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 (Post 332370)
Yep, I've learned that many a time. I not longer lend stuff out also, the exception being my brother.

I wont even lend stuff to my older sister, even though she quite happily lends me hers and her boyfriends DVD's ;)

Jinx_Barkman 2nd April 2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 (Post 332357)
Thanks a lot! I'm glad to hear that! I'm a massive Blaxploitation fan. I put off getting this one for a while as I though it was going to be a "Mickey mouse" one. I'm glad you rate it highly and I'll watch it ASAP!

What are your other two favourites?

It really is hard to choose but it would have to be Black Caesar and either Coffy or Superfly.

J Harker 2nd April 2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 332359)

I used to love it when you'd lend someone something and they'd take the liberty of lending to someone else and assume that was fine.
The number of times my sister-in-law would borrow something and when I'd ask for it back you'd find her boyfriend's brothers cousins nephews aunties dogs grandad would have it at the moment sorry.

Rik 2nd April 2013 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 332395)
I used to love it when you'd lend someone something and they'd take the liberty of lending to someone else and assume that was fine.
The number of times my sister-in-law would borrow something and when I'd ask for it back you'd find her boyfriend's brothers cousins nephews aunties dogs grandad would have it at the moment sorry.

Exactly, I've no idea who has my Identity DVD, easier to spend £1 in CEX for another copy

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 2nd April 2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 332304)
How come? :confused:

From the episode Bart Sells His Soul:

Simpsons (the) - In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida (Iron Butterfly cover) - YouTube

Rik 2nd April 2013 06:37 PM

Ah yeah, I remember that now, cheers Nos

ArgentoFan1987 2nd April 2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinx_Barkman (Post 332375)
It really is hard to choose but it would have to be Black Caesar and either Coffy or Superfly.

I also love Black Caesar and Superfly. I think I have Cofey, but haven't seen it. I remember my mum telling me Huggie Bear was in it though :D

nekromantik 2nd April 2013 08:22 PM

I still need to get the Monsters blu ray boxset!

Jinx_Barkman 2nd April 2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgentoFan1987 (Post 332443)
I also love Black Caesar and Superfly. I think I have Cofey, but haven't seen it. I remember my mum telling me Huggie Bear was in it though :D

:shocked::jest:You need to correct that asap! Wonderful film.