Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 23rd August 2011 07:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Just preordered these! :woot:

Gojirosan 23rd August 2011 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 176133)
My Akira Steelbook arrived today -- looks very cool!

Mine arrived on Saturday.

Not sure why I did now. I could have done with keeping the money, to be honest...

Looks pretty though!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd August 2011 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 176263)
Just preordered these! :woot:

Good choices. I have the Children of the Corn disc and, though it's not the greatest horror movie ever made, it looks and sounds superb.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 23rd August 2011 07:51 PM

Only the ending lets it down....anyone seen that 'remake' that's floating about?

nekromantik 23rd August 2011 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 176285)
Only the ending lets it down....anyone seen that 'remake' that's floating about?

if you mean the scify remake then its dreadful! avoid at all costs.

I just ordered The Thing 82 bluray. I heard that its a awesome disc and the UK disc has ported over the DVD extras unlike the US disc.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd August 2011 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 176285)

I didn't know there was one. It's easy to avoid something you don't know exists!

Mojo 23rd August 2011 08:49 PM

I also recently watched the BFI BD of Deep End. It's an excellent film.

Even better ( imo ) is Private Road ( another early 70s drama from BFI ) which is one of my favourite non - horror films of all time. Love it. The picture quality is stunning, too.

It also features a short film called The Final Chapter, which I'm sure all fans of Susan Penhaligon will love ;)

kingofwitches666 23rd August 2011 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enterthehero (Post 176230)
Guilty pleasure! Ain't nothing wrong with a bit of van damme.

Damn right enterthehero, unlike certain 'action heroes' whose films go direct to dvd, I find Van Damme's movies infinitely more watchable & enjoyable. :cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by g053584398 (Post 176237)
I'm a bit of a Van Damme fan myself.

I really enjoyed Second in Command and I thought that The Shepherd was a pretty good film as well.

Those were the last two I watched (along with The Quest) & I agree, they were both cracking films.

Looking forward to checking out Eagle Path & Assassination Games when they're both released in October. :D

Demdike@Cult Labs 23rd August 2011 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 176234)
I bought that a week or so ago but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I remember it being pretty funny and with no shortage of boobs on show, but far from Russ Meyer's best films.

It'll be interesting to see whether that opinion stands up to another viewing.

Pervert isn't a Russ Meyer film Nos.

g053584398 23rd August 2011 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingofwitches666 (Post 176329)
Damn right enterthehero, unlike certain 'action heroes' whose films go direct to dvd, I find Van Damme's movies infinitely more watchable & enjoyable. :cool:

Those were the last two I watched (along with The Quest) & I agree, they were both cracking films.

Looking forward to checking out Eagle Path & Assassination Games when they're both released in October. :D

I think of his 'newer' films Wake Of Death is my favourite, even though it is very downbeat and brutal.