LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th December 2020, 10:32 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Miracle On 34th Street (1994)

Richard Attenborough is a man claiming to be Santa who has to defend himself in court assisted by Lawyer Dylan McDermott. Not bad, a little long for my liking. This was the 1st time, I've seen this film (It's one that I never got round to seeing beforehand) but I remember seeing the VHS cover in all the Xmas magazines that shops like Woolworths, WH Smiths, HMV, Boots would put out in October so people could have an idea what's available for Xmas presents.
Have you seen the original? Excellent movie.
Old 12th December 2020, 04:19 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Doctor Who: Voyage of the Damned (2007)

"I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the Constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who is gonna save your lives and all 6 billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?"

A very watchable, action packed Christmas special which plays out like a sci-fi Poseidon Adventure with the lovely Kylie Minogue thrown in for good measure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 704e2916b2bbca651e9aa5fb92b4a244.jpg (58.2 KB, 3 views)
Old 12th December 2020, 05:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Santa Claus: The Movie. 1985.

A toy maker discovers the magical kingdom of Elves in the North Pole and becomes Santa Claus. When his eager to please elf Patch leaves and heads to New York he is mixed up with a toy manufacturer who plans to take over Christmas.

So many happy memories of the film at Christmas time watching this, David Huddleston takes the lead role as Santa who makes it believable that Saint Nick is actually real. Dudley Moore plays the Elf with amazing ideas Patch who gets mixed up with toy maker BZ played by John Lithgow. Ilya Salkind and Pierre Spengler team up with Jeannot Szwarc who directed their previous film Supergirl seemed to use the same effects used for the flying sequences that were a lot better and believable. The acting throughout the film gets better and better from the adults, Carrie Kei Heim and Christian Fitzpatrick who play Cornelia and Joe are brilliant.

Attachment 229961

Apparently I ruined this film for a friend after playing him some Derek & Clive
nosferatu42 and MrBarlow like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 12th December 2020, 06:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Well it's now official Christmas , The best Christmas movie, nothing gives me the Christmas spirit quite like watching Hans Gruber fall of Nakatomi Plaza. 10/10
Old 12th December 2020, 06:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Have you seen the original? Excellent movie.
Now I haven't, don't think I will this year, have a lot more Xmas films to go through
Old 12th December 2020, 07:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Scrooged. 1988.

Francis Xavier Cross a T.V. executive who is mean spirited is visited by his deceased boss and tells him he will be visited by three ghosts and to change his ways and discover the Christmas spirit.

Bill Murray's and Richard Donner take on Charles Dicken's A Christmas carol with some good comical moments. David Johansen plays the cigar smoking taxi driver Ghost of Christmas Past, Carol Kane plays the funny beating Ghost of Christmas present. Robert Mitchum and John Houseman join the cast with Karen Allen as the love interest of the executive Scrooge as well with Bobcat Goldthwaite as the sacked assistant who comes back shotgun blazing.

I didn't have much appreciation for this film as I thought it was just daft and typical Bill Murray trying to be funny and a bully at the same time but over the years of growing up I did see the funny side to it a bit more now it has grown on me and favorite in our household.

940305.jpg
Old 12th December 2020, 10:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dreamcatcher. 2003.

Four friends go for a camping trip in Maine woods during the winter however this Winter, the town they visit is plagued by a unknown alien parasite.

Although the book was exciting to read by Stephen King, I was hesitant about the film as the trailer didn't do it much justice, it is not a masterpiece to watch (maybe once every so many years) Thomas Jane, Damien Lewis, Timothy Olyphant and Jason Lee play the older friends who rescue and befriend a young boy Douglas (Duddits) and receive a psychic gift. Morgan Freeman plays the Colonel of Blue Squad Army who has been battling Alien beings most of his Army life.

Like every other King Book, there seems to be changes to the characters, Colonel Kurtz was meant to be a total nasty prick, in the film he is seen as a man that has slowly lost the plot either by chasing aliens or exposed to their plague. There is some good bits that give out a snigger when the group head to the cabin which shows the friends can take the mickey out of each other and laugh it off. Think this is one of those situations where you either read the book or see the film but it can't be both.

p31710_d_v8_aa.jpg
Old 13th December 2020, 08:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

How The Grinch Stole Christmas. 2000.

On the outskirts of the town Whoville, Mr Grinch plans on ruining Christmas for the Whos.

You got Jim Carrey who looked like he went OTT with the caffeine and appeared to enjoyed every moment of it, Ron Howard at the director's chair who seemed to have the P... taken out of him and Anthony Hopkins as the narrator (who better to do a narration of a children's book than Hannibal Lector himself). Even though the cartoon is about 20-30 minutes long and seemed rushed the film does take it's time to explain everything on why The Grinch hated Christmas so badly. The film might be daft, stupid, dare I say overacted, but it's still funny even after 20 years, and a bit happy when Grinchy's heart doubles in size.

movieposter.jpg
Old 13th December 2020, 10:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause (2006)

A largely unfunny third entry in the Santa Clause series and the worst of the three. A few choice lines from Alan Arkin aside and a reasonable final twenty minutes which revisited events in the first film, this was completely forgettable.

I can't see this ever being watched a second time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MV5BMTI4ODQ4MzgzMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODc5NTUzMQ@@._V1_.jpg (102.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 13th December 2020, 10:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Santa Clause 3: The Escape Clause (2006)

A largely unfunny third entry in the Santa Clause series and the worst of the three. A few choice lines from Alan Arkin aside and a reasonable final twenty minutes which revisited events in the first film, this was completely forgettable.

I can't see this ever being watched a second time.
I went to the cinema to see it, fell asleep half way through it.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!