Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree6109Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th February 2013, 11:17 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Personally, I don't have a problem with Twilight Time's pricing. As I've said before, barebones dvds used to cost £19.99. For 3 or £4 more, TT sells limited edition BD's (and for me, that doesn't mean it has to be loaded with special features). Hard Times, Christine, The Driver and The Blob will sit proudly on my dvd shelf.
I think the problem people have is the whole buy them or dont get them at all, which is as much the studios fault as it is TT. Fair enough their ltd in america, but its ludicrous that that means people in germany,sweden,china,australia,england,france,denm ark ect ect, won't get a chance at buying them. I have no problems with ltd edition collectors items, paying more and getting more for your money (even if its just fancy packaging) like the Eureaka steelbooks or arrow slipcases, but at least people who dont have the money to splash around on these things still get to see the damnned film legally with the more mass-produced standard editions. This is why, despite piracy being wrong, theft and something not to be tolerated, i'd have a hard time moralising at someone who went and downloaded a HD rip of fright night, i mean what other option other than buying day of release were they given?
Old 5th February 2013, 11:26 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam tyler View Post
That's a matter of opinion not currently shared with the films director
But it's certainly an opinion shared by the DP Frank Prinzi who thinks it looks awful.
Old 5th February 2013, 11:28 PM
Cult Addict

I still have my uk dvd of notld and i'm perfectly happy with it. Best thing is it only cost me a quid
Old 5th February 2013, 11:34 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I think the problem people have is the whole buy them or dont get them at all, which is as much the studios fault as it is TT. Fair enough their ltd in america, but its ludicrous that that means people in germany,sweden,china,australia,england,france,denm ark ect ect, won't get a chance at buying them. I have no problems with ltd edition collectors items, paying more and getting more for your money (even if its just fancy packaging) like the Eureaka steelbooks or arrow slipcases, but at least people who dont have the money to splash around on these things still get to see the damnned film legally with the more mass-produced standard editions. This is why, despite piracy being wrong, theft and something not to be tolerated, i'd have a hard time moralising at someone who went and downloaded a HD rip of fright night, i mean what other option other than buying day of release were they given?

That's not what is happening though, as proved earlier with the Sony Germany releases of two TT titles. Really, rather than blaming TT on that front, we should be bemoaning that companies in other territories aren't striking up deals with Sony and Fox.
Old 6th February 2013, 08:45 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blob View Post
That's not what is happening though, as proved earlier with the Sony Germany releases of two TT titles. Really, rather than blaming TT on that front, we should be bemoaning that companies in other territories aren't striking up deals with Sony and Fox.
But those are not the studio titles though are they? Some of the smaller obscure release seem to be getting releases but i've heard from word of mouth (not reliable in all fairness) that theres no prospect of titles like christine, notld or frightnight getting liscensed even if smaller companies like second sight wanted to.
Old 6th February 2013, 09:39 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

The 3 year contract TT have is only for USA, any other country can release these titles whenever they'd like. That's why I think Arrow should get NOTLD 90 out properly, that should increase their fan base again after the few debacles they've had of late

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 6th February 2013, 09:55 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
The 3 year contract TT have is only for USA, any other country can release these titles whenever they'd like. That's why I think Arrow should get NOTLD 90 out properly, that should increase their fan base again after the few debacles they've had of late
I think that anyone who lisences Fright Night will make a lot of money, locked or not.

I think we should ask companies like Second Sight and Arrow about it, or even Sony UK directly if they are the ones who hold the rights.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 6th February 2013, 10:01 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Sony (formerly Columbia) definitely hold UK rights to Fright Night, so they'd be the ones to approach. I'd like to see either Arrow or Second Sight have a go at licensing these TT exclusives - they'd make a killing. The demand for the films is obviously there, as evidenced by how quickly the two horror titles sold out (Fright Night and NOTLD '90). Granted, some copies were picked up by scalpers - but the fact that the scalpers were able to offload their Fright Night Blus for at least double what they paid for them, shows that there are still eager buyers out there. Arrow or Second Sight should try meeting that demand. They'd be on to a winner IMO. Interest has already been generated by the TT releases which probably means that demand is greater than ever before.
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 6th February 2013, 10:05 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I'm not sure how much we can take from the demands simply because of the BDs limited-edition status, with people possibly buying them to keep for a while and then sell on, rather than to keep and watch.

I do agree that there is a significant market the titles such as Fright Night and Night of the Living Dead (1990) and anyone who releases a good version of each in the UK will have to prepare for massive sales.
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 6th February 2013, 01:45 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Personally, what I think will happen, is that once the 3-year deadline is met, Sony will farm out these titles to Mill Creek who'll release an identical transfer for a fraction of the price and those that bought the TT titles will be crying that their limited edition TT titles are now rendered obsolete. Something is only limited when there's a limited supply, once Mill Creek pick up these titles there'll be an absolute surfeit of the items in question.

That's what I predict, anyway. And I'm probably wrong.

Like this? Share it using the links below!