Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179676Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th January 2012, 11:53 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched Deranged and Fight for your Life last night trying to ward off blinding toothache....as the free jazz on 6music wasnt helping

solidly made exploitation in both cases to my mind.
why FFYL isnt available in schools, gawd knows.

loved the structure of Deranged, even if it reminded me of All You Need is Cash in places

and this is purely a personal thing but LOST? greatest tv series?

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 9th January 2012, 12:12 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamish View Post
and this is purely a personal thing but LOST? greatest tv series?

hell yes!!

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 9th January 2012, 12:33 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Watched Titus(1999),very good artisticly and great performances by the whole cast!
Old 9th January 2012, 03:29 PM
Active Cultist

Just watched Little Malcolm and His Struggle Against the Eunochs. Points for -Hurt and Warner obviously, great to see these two in their pomp, between them they could account for about 10 of my favourite movies. Blu ray picture is fantastic and shows up the bleak Oldham locations beautifully. Some great lines and laugh out loud moments. Points against - my credulity was stretched beyond breaking point a few times - particularly the trial of Nipple - I just didn't find it remotely believable - wish they had jettisioned some of this preachy stuff and concentrated on the drama. Still a really enjoyable film. Extras pretty poor for Flipside - Contraption is a nicely morbid 7 minutes but the other short - Put Yourself in My Place - is a shocker in both PQ and content - 70s gender time capsule I suppose (stifles yawn). A look back doc on the main feature a'la Deep End would have been amazing but alas no.
Slippery Jack likes this.
Old 9th January 2012, 06:47 PM
Cult Rookie

My weekend Double Features were:

Number 1, Eaten Alive/Death Trap and Frankenhooker.

Eaten alive was good. No Texas Chainsaw but good fun nontheless. Frankenhooker, just a silly, fun movie. Henenlotter's deformed freak things always creep me out.

Number 2, The Woman and Kill List.

Bit more of a grim evening. The Woman was good if not predictable. A great performance from Pollyanna McIntosh as the Woman. My view in Kill List is already over in the Kill List thread.
Old 9th January 2012, 10:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Don't Open Till Christmas - inspired by the thread about the film, I finally watched this. It's a mess, but not without its charm. Great sleazy atmosphere of scumbag blokes, rough women and general early 80s ugliness.

The seeds of a good film are there, and I was surprise at how "Gialloesque" it is in story and style. I had always thought it was more a UK attempt at a post-Halloween slasher (though the electronic score tries very hard to evoke Halloween throughout!). It feels far more 70s than 80s despite the tell tale fashions revealing the true date.

The pacing is all over the place, there are scenes with tragically audible camera noise and the entire production was clearly rushed and under-funded. They neglected to write a proper ending also. By far the worst element is a strange and strained Santa stalking sequence in London Dungeon that seems at odds with the style of the rest of the film. It is inadvertently funny, painfully amateurish (even compared to the rest!) and really shouldn't have made the final cut.

I am not sure why I liked this film as much as I did as it has so much wrong with it. But like it I did.
Yeah, I liked it too. I keep going on about this one, sorry for not sticking to the dedicated thread. I hate the term 'guilty pleasure', but what else is DOTC ever going to be?
I didn't hit on the Giallo comparison until now, mainly because DOTC seems pretty much the diametrical opposite visually speaking - featuring a decidedly English miserablist spectrum of grey-beige rather than Italo acid-fried pop art stylings. But everything else makes sense.
I really liked the Caroline Munro solo number - just left me asking 'why?'. And some of the dialogue was ripe beyond belief - that recurring thing about the killer's 'smiling eyes' - "His eyes were... smiling. I'd recognise him in a line-up - but only if he was smiling."(!)
As for the santa slayings themselves, they're relentless enough to keep the film moving, but there's no attempt at any tension or a sense of 'the big moment' - they almost function as filler, in a "Oh well, time for another murder" kind of way, which gives them a weirdly detached air.
Old 9th January 2012, 11:56 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Dale and Tucker vs Evil.
May.
The Guard
I Monster
Demons 2
Old 10th January 2012, 02:03 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Just seen Dijinns aka Stranded.
Its a French flick about a group of soldiers who go to a dessert to retrieve a briefcase from a team that went there before and was not heart back from. They encounter these invisible creatures along the way and soldiers die!

It was nothing new and the whole "guardian" storyline was a bit out there in terms of what happens and I thought it was a bit silly. Average movie overall however and you can do much worse!

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 10th January 2012, 02:22 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Perfume of the Lady in Black (1974) - 4/5

Complex psychological horror that demands repeat viewings, with a brilliantly twisted ending.
bdc likes this.
Old 10th January 2012, 08:42 AM
Active Cultist

Squeezed in a showing of The Old Dark House last night. I enjoyed it far more second time round - once you accept that it's a black comedy rather than a horror film you can really appreciate the razor sharp dialogue ('even Welsh ought not to sound like that') and campy performances (or in Karloffs case mumbling performance). This will never reach blu as the only remaining materials are the battered print on display here so snap up this Network DVD if you haven't done so - its got a great commentary too. Have a potato indeed!
bdc likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!