Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree179785Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th January 2012, 07:27 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I've been wanting to see Cold Fish for a while now. I've just bumped it up to 'high priority' on my rental list.
Never heard of it but as I Saw The Devil is one of the best films ever made then I'll be checking this one out for sure. High priority on Lovefilm indeed

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 17th January 2012, 07:44 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
Never heard of it but as I Saw The Devil is one of the best films ever made then I'll be checking this one out for sure. High priority on Lovefilm indeed
I thought Cold Fish was a bit of a disappointment. Found it all a bit repetitive and overlong. That said, I wasn't keen on I Saw the Devil either, so maybe you'll love it . . .
Old 17th January 2012, 07:46 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
King of the Hill - Thoroughly enjoyable spanish (?) thriller set in the woodlands. Moments of tension, well acted and really beautifully shot. Will have to watch again but on Blu-ray next time. (Hilarious central character name though )
Oh yeah I remember that one - great little thriller, the third act reveal was pretty cool, and dealt with in quite a satisfying way . . .
Old 17th January 2012, 07:53 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Oh yeah I remember that one - great little thriller, the third act reveal was pretty cool, and dealt with in quite a satisfying way . . .
Yeah it was a unique way of showing and changing quite a well used storyline.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 17th January 2012, 10:18 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Swamp Shark - wonderful critter flick with Kristy Swanson (The Real Buffy!). Great fun. Really hits the spot.
Old 17th January 2012, 10:23 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Swamp Shark - wonderful critter flick with Kristy Swanson (The Real Buffy!). Great fun. Really hits the spot.

Without the other Buffy there would be no Dawn!
Old 17th January 2012, 11:14 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post

Without the other Buffy there would be no Dawn!
The glory of The Trachtenberg would have shone through one way or another!
Old 17th January 2012, 11:22 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
Watched Sion Sono's Cold Fish today. Wow. What an incredible movie. 20 seconds in and you're hooked for 2.30 hours. I don't want to reveal anything plot-wise in case anyone hasn't seen it, but trust me, this and I Saw the Devil are as good as it gets just now. A fantastic, brutal entertainment which also looks absolutely beautiful. Can't wait to see Love Exposure now.
'Love Exposure' is a pretty mind-boggling excursion and packs all manner of weirdness into its 4 hours. Hope you like it, I did.
Having said that, 'Cold Fish' didn't reach me. It's probably an objectively 'good' film (whatever that means, but I do think it means something), but it didn't excite me as much as, say 'Exte', that manic deconstruction of the J-horror fetish for long black hair which reminded me somehow of Lovecarft / Cronenberg in places, (a subjective impression I'm sure, although for me a lot of Japanese stuff evokes those associations). Have you seen that other Sono piece, 'Suicide Club'?
'I Saw the Devil' I thought was really good, highly manipulative and quite cruel in places, but yeah, quite a roller coaster.
Old 18th January 2012, 07:30 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
The glory of The Trachtenberg would have shone through one way or another!

Greetings!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 18th January 2012, 09:40 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
'Love Exposure' is a pretty mind-boggling excursion and packs all manner of weirdness into its 4 hours. Hope you like it, I did.
Having said that, 'Cold Fish' didn't reach me. It's probably an objectively 'good' film (whatever that means, but I do think it means something), but it didn't excite me as much as, say 'Exte', that manic deconstruction of the J-horror fetish for long black hair which reminded me somehow of Lovecarft / Cronenberg in places, (a subjective impression I'm sure, although for me a lot of Japanese stuff evokes those associations). Have you seen that other Sono piece, 'Suicide Club'?
'I Saw the Devil' I thought was really good, highly manipulative and quite cruel in places, but yeah, quite a roller coaster.
I haven't seen Suicide Club yet but did really enjoy Exte. The thing I loved about Cold Fish was the very repetitiveness that has been pointed up as a flaw in some quarters. Sono really takes his time in establishing this characters hellish existence - he's like one of his fishes forever swimming round and round and getting nowhere - that when the inevitable disintegration happens, however OTT and hideous the consequences it does feel like a blessed release - for him and us. Only certain Asian films (and possibly French) make you feel this uncomfortable!
My only grumble with the movie was the two female characters who appeared to be projections of male fantasy as opposed to real people - again though, maybe this was the point as the whole movie is seen through the titular characters eyes and as we see he has a pretty screwed up psyche.

Like this? Share it using the links below!