All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th February 2012, 11:32 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
I am trying to remember what happens at the end that might have spoiled things for you. If it's "THE" thing then I disagree, as I liked that, even if it wasn't as surprising as hey hoped it would be. Now wondering if there is something else I can't remember that happened!
itl be "THE" thing you remember. i liked it, but it didnt stand up to 2nd viewing imo. prefered Martyrs etc.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th February 2012, 11:51 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Watched The Manchurian Candidate Remake,very good thriller by Jonathan Demme,excellent cast but a bit predictable ending!
Old 13th February 2012, 12:05 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
itl be "THE" thing you remember. i liked it, but it didnt stand up to 2nd viewing imo. prefered Martyrs etc.
Martyrs and Inside are a different class of film, IMO. But in its field I think Switchblade Romance (where did that stupid retitle come from?) is a fine bit of work.
Old 13th February 2012, 12:09 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
and i watched Carry On Screaming on ITV3, because it was on. better than To The Devil a Daughter

You'd better stay behind that sofa Demoncrat.

Rik and Prince_Vajda like this.
Old 13th February 2012, 01:51 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I saw The Resident last night.

My overall thought is the film is not bad, certainly watchable and entertaining. The leads, Hilary Swank, Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Christopher Lee all came across well, perhaps too well in the case of Morgan who didn't really seem vile enough to be the villain of the piece.

However it reminded me of two other films, firstly 2004's Toolbox Murders, mainly due to it being set in a rundown apartment building that was being refurbished and secondly that a fair bit of the action took place in the crawl spaces between apartments, not to mention the final nail gun violence.

Secondly, due to its storyline of a woman who moves into a new building and ends up being spied upon by another resident it used many ideas from the Sharon Stone film Sliver.

Unfortunately for The Resident both the mentioned films are edgier and creepier than it. I don't know if it was down to its 15 certificate but The Resident really lacked the sleaziness that its subject matter conveys.

It's fine to while away the time, but really should have had more bite to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Resident Banner.jpg (31.8 KB, 1 views)
PaulD likes this.
Old 13th February 2012, 02:35 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post

My overall thought is the film is not bad, certainly watchable and entertaining. The leads, Hilary Swank, Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Christopher Lee all came across well, perhaps too well in the case of Morgan who didn't really seem vile enough to be the villain of the piece.

However it reminded me of two other films, firstly 2004's Toolbox Murders, mainly due to it being set in a rundown apartment building that was being refurbished and secondly that a fair bit of the action took place in the crawl spaces between apartments, not to mention the final nail gun violence.

Secondly, due to its storyline of a woman who moves into a new building and ends up being spied upon by another resident it used many ideas from the Sharon Stone film Sliver.

Unfortunately for The Resident both the mentioned films are edgier and creepier than it. I don't know if it was down to its 15 certificate but The Resident really lacked the sleaziness that its subject matter conveys.

I thoroughly agree with that. It held your attention quite well but I still wanted more - the ending was a bit of a let-down to be honest and Christopher Lee's character seemed to be put in as a bit of an afterthought.
Old 13th February 2012, 03:13 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
I thoroughly agree with that. It held your attention quite well but I still wanted more - the ending was a bit of a let-down to be honest and Christopher Lee's character seemed to be put in as a bit of an afterthought.
True, as though they (Hammer) just had to use him in one of their early films to give a bit of respect and a nod to classic Hammer.
Old 13th February 2012, 03:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Decided to try out my 3 purchases from CEX this morning. First was Outpost, pretty good Nazi Zombie film, not as good as Dead Snow though. Second was Nightmare Hostel, quite possibly the worst film I've ever seen, it has comparisons with Eli Roth's Hostel films and Re-animator on the cover, hence the blind buy, both of which are utter crap, like the film! Now I've put on my Axe/Pieces disc which I bought thinking that the Axe was the old video nasty film, which unfortunately it isn't. It's a film called The Choke that was marketed here as Axe, not bad so far although I was looking forward to seeing the nasty for the first time

Edit: Axe is nearly as crap as Nightmare Hostel, really struggling not to flip the disc and watch Pieces instead
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Last edited by Rik; 13th February 2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 13th February 2012, 03:36 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post

I liked The Resident. A lot. I wasn't expecting such a hackneyed premise to be so gripping or enjoyable.

I also think that Sliver is a bloody awful film and nowhere near the quality of The Resident.

I also enjoyed learning that Hilary Swank has her pubes sculpted into a perfect landing strip.
Old 13th February 2012, 03:41 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
I liked The Resident. A lot. I wasn't expecting such a hackneyed premise to be so gripping or enjoyable.

I also enjoyed learning that Hilary Swank has her pubes sculpted into a perfect landing strip.
Isn't that exactly what you get all the time nowadays?

Greetings!

Like this? Share it using the links below!