All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179682Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th September 2012, 09:42 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Morton View Post
there are alot of films on the horror channel which ive (and others) have never heard of before
saw THE DARKOOM before and last night i recorded the fine film
there are some crap films shown of course, AND NOW THE SCREAMING STARTS, BEAST MUST DIE, PSYCHOSIS, 13HRS etc but they do show some good horrors, OPERA, TENEBRE, SWITCHBLADE ROMANDE, MARTYRS etc
French horror BABY BLOOD is on friday
BABY BLOOD is a good film if shown in French, the English dub is horrible.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 18th September 2012, 09:54 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonknight View Post
The best thing about street trash,IMO,is the brilliant 2 disc dvd cover released by synapse a few yrs back. Love that cover,hate the movie.
How can you hate that movie! What about the double act between James Lorinz and that dude from The Sopranos! So funny - I love the ramshackle gonzo charm of it all . . .
Hawkmonger likes this.
Old 18th September 2012, 09:56 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer6 View Post
My cup of tea,unfortunately I haven't seen it yet
Me neither. I've only seen a few films from the Dekalog - that one with the maths kid and the ice is one of the saddest things I've seen ...
Old 18th September 2012, 10:15 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
BABY BLOOD is a good film if shown in French, the English dub is horrible.
i think its going to be w/Eng subs
got the excellent R1 Anchor Bay of this 1990 horror
deserves a sp ed in the UK
Old 18th September 2012, 10:40 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
A Short Film About Love (1988)

Polish director Krzysztof Kieslowski's masterpiece is based on a piece from his celebrated Dekalog cycle of shorts.

It follows a young man who falls in love with an older woman he spys on in the same Warsaw apartment block. Seeing a succession of lovers she brings back with her. When she becomes aware of him she confronts him with a sexual invitation.

The film explores the themes of love and voyeurism that despite the cold Polish settings displays a warmth and erotic air that other films strive for. The film is romantic but its a different sort of romance, the viewer is desperate for the young man to meet the woman and then fall in love. When the almost inevitable happens the film takes a sinister turn as the lad can't cope with the womans promiscuity and the likelihood that to her it is just sex rather than fulfilling a yearning.

For the most part A Short Film About Love is a study of desperate love that inevitably leads to heartbreak. Its a brilliant piece of film making, both poignant and tender, and beautifully acted.

A film i regularly go back to.
I haven't watched the film since the days of VHS, although I did pick up the DVD cheap a few months ago.
Old 18th September 2012, 10:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Morton View Post
there are alot of films on the horror channel which ive (and others) have never heard of before
saw THE DARKOOM before and last night i recorded the fine film
there are some crap films shown of course, AND NOW THE SCREAMING STARTS, BEAST MUST DIE, PSYCHOSIS, 13HRS etc but they do show some good horrors, OPERA, TENEBRE, SWITCHBLADE ROMANDE, MARTYRS etc
French horror BABY BLOOD is on friday
You think that AND NOW THE SCREAMING STARTS and THE BEAST MUST DIE are crap? I'm very partial to Amicus films myself.
Old 18th September 2012, 10:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by g053584398 View Post
I haven't watched the film since the days of VHS, although I did pick up the DVD cheap a few months ago.
I need to pick up its sister film A Short Film About Killing.

Not seen that since the vhs.
g053584398 likes this.
Old 19th September 2012, 01:40 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Last few films viewed...

TOTAL RECALL (2012)
If Blade Runner, I.Robot, Minority Report, Star Wars, Equilibrium, The Fifth Element, The Island, Robocop, Inception, The 6th Day, Running Man, Demolition Man, Back To The Future and The Matrix never existed, Len Wiseman's remake of Total Recall would be a good film but as those films do exits Len Wiseman's remake of Total Recall is a pointless, unoriginal film that had no business ever being made. To say that i didn't enjoy parts would be wrong, but for a film that is near enough 2 hrs of 'lets rip off as many films as we can and hope people don't notice' it's slightly insulting. Not recommended.

TOTAL RECALL (1990)
Much like he did in Robocop and Starship Troopers, Paul Verhoven's Total Recall is a satrical sci-fi action film, that while it confronts the viewer with special FX and some lingering brutal violence, it also takes a swipe at corporations, corporate espionage and the control that hugh corporations hold over the everyman. But looking past that, this film is the dog's bollocks, brilliantly shot, gory as **** with some frankly outstanding practical FX from Rob Bottin, strung together by a funny, action packed screenplay from Ronald Suchet and Dan O'Bannon. Highly Recommended.

THE CROW
Such a brilliantly dark film that takes the gothic landscape of Burton's Gotham City and the stylings of film noir, throws them all together in a blender and pours out a vigilante back from the dead to avenge the death of his wife horror action film. A one of a kind picture that was never matched by it's sequels or TV show. The soundtrack compliments the film brilliantly with it's use of The Cure and Rage Against The Machine etc. Such a shame about the tragic death of Brandon Lee as this film would have made him huge. Highly Recommended.

BEING ELMO
A wonderful documentary charting the life of puppeteer Kevin Clash, the man who made Sesame Street's Elmo the most beloved muppet creation of all time, (yes even more so than Kermit) following his life from a poor Baltimore background as he started making puppets at age 10 up to his current status as Elmo's puppeteer and how he's become the executive producer of that show. Such a great film, emotional, funny and they show so much love that this man had for Jim Henson. Definitely check this out if you're a fan of the Muppets or just want to see something uplifting and Inspiring.

BAIT 3D
Sharks in a supermarket? actually this isn't as bad as it sounds, set in Australia it follows a group of people who get stuck in a flooded underground super market after an apocalyptic tidal wave floods the coast unleasing two 12ft Great white sharks into the super market. It's far better than the recent Shark Night and although it suffers from silly obvious CGI, there's still a sense of tension in the film. Not the best film ever made but an enjoyable 90 minute time killer.

THE AGGRESSION SCALE
Home Alone for adults. This was pretty good home invasion film where the victims turn the tables on the criminals only this time it's a whiny 16 year with issues and her mute, totally badass but totally mental 13 year old step brother. Some great performances all round especially the kid who plays the brother and Dana Ashbrook who plays the lead criminal. It was from the director of the awful Automaton Transfusion and Scream OF The Banshee so i didn't have too high hopes but found it great entertainment. Recommended.

GRAVE ENCOUNTERS
I'd heard that this was a great horror film, one that slipped past in all the Paranormal Activity nonsense. Well it was pretty good for about 45 minutes and then BAM!, It not only became cliched but very very predictable and the over reliance on CGI just made it look cheap and artificial. It had an interesting premise at the start but descended in mediocre fare. It essentially became just another found footage film. Not recommended.

COMIC-CON EPISODE IV: A FAN'S HOPE
This was a really great documentary about comic-con, the people who attend, the people who use it as a business opportunity and how it's grown so huge and how the actual comic side is dying thanks to Hollywood's infiltration. It follows 2 men eager to make it into the world of comic art, two people who met the previous year and started dating, A cosplayer and her friends who put their heart and soul into creating these incredible costumes for a 3 minute skit on a stage and the owner of the world famous Mile High Comics store as they struggle in a world that seems to dying (we find out that they're not dying in the end as their sales rise immensely thanks to the Avengers movies). It's a good insight into geekdom and feature people like Joss Whedon, Eli Roth, Kevin Smith and Kenneth Brannagh talking to the camera as well as comic industry people. Very interesting and shows that who ever you may be outside of comic con, everyone is the same inside comic con. An no Morgan Spurlock insight. Defo worth a watch.
Old 19th September 2012, 03:00 PM
Cult Veteran

Watched Cigarette Burns last night, I really enjoyed it, it was quite a kick when the lead happened to be Darryl from The Walking Dead!
The only thing it was lacking was a proper John Carpenter score, the music was too 'American TV' - which obviously fits the fact it was a TV show.
VicDakin likes this.
Old 19th September 2012, 03:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Contains Spoilers btw.

The Night Evelyn Came Out Of The Grave
.... Can I just mention how much I love this sumptious looking, if rather looney, film? Antony Steffen really sets out his stall within the first 10 minutes, sticking it to every bit of totty that comes his way....and boy, do they come haha.
Filled with sleazy characters ("swinging" brother, just-a-little-too-smooth doctor etc), it twists and turns like.........a twisty turny sort of thing

Recommended!!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!