Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th November 2012, 08:06 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Deathline

I'd forgotten how strange this film is, and that Donald Pleasence pretty much single handedly made the film worth watching. The rest of it is a mess! The story ambles along without purpose in fits and starts, and the direction is dreary as hell. Then there's Christopher Lee, who appears in one needless scene seemingly just to get his name on the poster. Even then it's clear he was filmed seperately from the other actors in the scene! But Donald Pleasence man... he's bloody hilarious! Oh how I'd love to see that character in a better film . . .
I don't agree at all (except for the bits about Pleasence being amazing), but the main reason I don't agree: one of the best soundtracks of the 70s!!! That opening tune is just exceptional.
Old 11th November 2012, 08:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Deathline

I'd forgotten how strange this film is, and that Donald Pleasence pretty much single handedly made the film worth watching. The rest of it is a mess! The story ambles along without purpose in fits and starts, and the direction is dreary as hell. Then there's Christopher Lee, who appears in one needless scene seemingly just to get his name on the poster. Even then it's clear he was filmed seperately from the other actors in the scene! But Donald Pleasence man... he's bloody hilarious! Oh how I'd love to see that character in a better film . . .
I must say I really do like Deathline, though. Dreary is right, and Donald Pleasance is great (although can do no wrong in my eyes anyway), as for the rest of it being a mess... maybe, but for me there's just something so atmospherically correct about it (including a certain jarring quality).
Old 11th November 2012, 08:25 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
That opening tune is just exceptional.
I agree with that, but aside from that there is a strange lack of music for great swathes of the 'action' - think that didn't help with the overall sluggishness of pace. Plus the ending is one massive anti climax, and finishes on an almighty whimper. But I'm keeping it in my collection for Pleasence. His drunk acting in the lock-in scene had me in stitches . . .
Old 11th November 2012, 09:10 PM
Cult Addict

Halloween 4 + 5.

After going through all the supplemental materials on 2-3 recently watching these back to back really hits home what an anti-climax they are.

Don't get me wrong, their enjoyable hokum, just not in the same caliber as the previous entries and sort of makes me wish carpenter had got his way and put out a different halloween themed movie each year.

Nontheless 4 + 5 are decent enough slasher fare and never outstay their welcome!
Old 11th November 2012, 10:49 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Sint/Saint - 2010 Netherlands d: Dick Maas

Excellent return to shockers for Dick Maas. Very well made and acted, looks great and has the same deadpan tongue-in-cheek tone as The Lift and Amsterdamned. I am not sure there are many other horror film-makers who can make so much from such absurd premises.

I really, really enjoyed this and recommend it unreservedly. A perfect addition to the "Killer Santa" pantheon.
Old 11th November 2012, 10:50 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Excellent return to shockers for Dick Maas. Very well made and acted, looks great and has the same deadpan tongue-in-cheek tone as The Lift and Amsterdamned. I am not sure there are many other horror film-makers who can make so much from such absurd premises.

I really, really enjoyed this and recommend it unreservedly. A perfect addition to the "Killer Santa" pantheon.
Love the scenes of Santa riding over the rooftops.
Gojirosan likes this.
Old 11th November 2012, 10:57 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:

Oh. I saw this advertised somewhere but didn't realise it was by Dick Maas. Will have to check this out
Old 11th November 2012, 11:06 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

THE BEYOND. Fulci's delves deep into the occult in this film: water; tunnels; unearthly beings; corridors and the dissolving of the physical and spiritual self to be reborn as other are constant themes running throughout the film. As is the idea of the Abyss, here shown as 'the beyond', a place only those of purist spiritual intent are meant to explore as they travel up the Cabalistic Tree of Life to merge with God. Some never get that far, happy to spend their time playing in the slime that is the Qlipoth and the Tunnels of Set, some fall in, never to escape. Most never bother to take the first step. "The Beyond" in many ways echoes all the pitfalls and follies of the occult quest in all it's confusion, stupidity and beauty.
Old 12th November 2012, 04:37 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Sint/Saint

Yeah this was one of my Fright Fest highlights from last year. Noticed recently That's Entertainment are selling it for £1.99 . . .
Old 12th November 2012, 06:37 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
THE BEYOND. Fulci's delves deep into the occult in this film: water; tunnels; unearthly beings; corridors and the dissolving of the physical and spiritual self to be reborn as other are constant themes running throughout the film. As is the idea of the Abyss, here shown as 'the beyond', a place only those of purist spiritual intent are meant to explore as they travel up the Cabalistic Tree of Life to merge with God. Some never get that far, happy to spend their time playing in the slime that is the Qlipoth and the Tunnels of Set, some fall in, never to escape. Most never bother to take the first step. "The Beyond" in many ways echoes all the pitfalls and follies of the occult quest in all it's confusion, stupidity and beauty.
Really interesting take on it MTDS!
I always just saw the ending as Fulci's take on hell, the total absence of anything, for a guy like Fulci it seemed like the closest thing to hell for him! (at least from what I've read!)

Food for thought on the long day ahead, not going to be watching much today 9-5 shift at the store, walk to hospital for a 6:45 urology appointment, back home then back to work at 10pm to get ready for the midnight opening of call of duty black ops 2. Thank christ i'm not at work tomorrow cause i'm then working wednesday 6am-5pm.

Like this? Share it using the links below!