Good Trader
Senior Moderator

From last Monday to Sunday (November 19-25) I watched:

SharonLynette and Hawkmonger like this.
Old 27th November 2012, 01:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Just watched the Shameless BD of Four Flies on Grey Velvet. As I posted on this films thread, I was 40 minutes in and bored to tears, but I stuck at it and it did pick up a bit, but I still didn't think much to it tbh, and the awful popping etc. on the soundtrack during the films climax really pissed me off, glad I rented it from Lovefilm!

I've got Sleepaway Camp 2:Unhappy Campers on now, I haven't seen this since an old friend of mine pinched his brothers VHS copy (under the Nightmare Vacation 2 title) back in the late 80's, I'm sure it will be just as much fun as I remember it. Also got Fulci's Cat in the Brain lined up after
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 27th November 2012, 01:40 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Just watched the Shameless BD of Four Flies on Grey Velvet. As I posted on this films thread, I was 40 minutes in and bored to tears, but I stuck at it and it did pick up a bit, but I still didn't think much to it tbh, and the awful popping etc. on the soundtrack during the films climax really pissed me off, glad I rented it from Lovefilm!
I find it has a certain wobbly charm, with the clunky postman slapstick and typical cringeworthy gay stereotype. Also the killer's motive is brilliantly rubbish But on the 'genuinely good' side, there is the murder set piece in the park, which is straight out of a Val Lewton film and one of my personal Argento highlights . . .
Old 27th November 2012, 02:03 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
I really enjoyed Cabin in the Woods. Avengers also. Scream suck's. New Nightmares is horribly under-rated. This is the new's at 1:03 in the afternoon. Good day.
I loved The Cabin in the Woods at the cinema and have seen it two or three times since and it really stands up as an intelligent and knowing genre film. In terms of the Marvel comic book films, I found The Avengers to be one of the best, but much preferred The Dark Knight Rises and the DC superhero films. Saying that, I'll probably buy the boxset of all the Marvel films when that's released.

In terms of the post modern horror films (is The Cabin in the Woods post-post-modern?), Scream still stands out as one which works as a stand-alone slasher whilst also dissecting the genre from which it's drawn inspiration and, at the time, made me aware of slasher films I hadn't seen or heard about before. I only saw Wes Craven's New Nightmare after watching the first two Scream films and realised what a fine piece of cinema it is and how far ahead of his time Craven was.
Invid Ninja likes this.
Old 27th November 2012, 03:50 PM
Cult Acolyte

Had an ill-advised, sleepy late night double bill of Seven Blood Stained Orchids and Your Vice is a Locked Room.... Dipped in and out of sleep and they've both merged into one in my mind I definitely preferred the latter (I think). Liked the unexpected ditching of the pure giallo trappings less than halfway in for something more Gothic-tinged. That said, I've already forgotten great swathes of both films. Needless to say I'll be rewatching at some point . . .
Old 27th November 2012, 03:52 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
I didn't hate Avengers Assemble per se, it was just "meh". It didn't strike me as anything special or interesting, just another sigh inducing superhero/action flick.

I'm not a the hugest fan of Scream either, perhaps a more apposite comparison might have been with the magnificent and genuinely intelligent Wes Craven's New Nightmare which is probably the finest form-bending, post-modern horror flick that Hollywood has ever given us.

On Facebook I said of The Cabin In The Woods:

"I never imagined I could have so thoroughly hated a film with so many monsters, so much blood and such a stunning redhead."

which sums it all up very nicely.
Yeah, new nightmare is probably still the best.
Old 27th November 2012, 03:58 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Had an ill-advised, sleepy late night double bill of Seven Blood Stained Orchids and Your Vice is a Locked Room.... Dipped in and out of sleep and they've both merged into one in my mind I definitely preferred the latter (I think). Liked the unexpected ditching of the pure giallo trappings less than halfway in for something more Gothic-tinged. That said, I've already forgotten great swathes of both films. Needless to say I'll be rewatching at some point . . .
What's the quality on those Pop Flix sets like then?
Old 27th November 2012, 04:02 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
What's the quality on those Pop Flix sets like then?
I'm REALLY not the person to be judging that kind of thing. I was perfectly happy with the quality of both films, though I have no idea if you lot with yer DNR techno-babble-n-whatnot would judge it 'decent' or 'eye meltingly horrible' . . .
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 27th November 2012, 04:07 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
I'm REALLY not the person to be judging that kind of thing. I was perfectly happy with the quality of both films, though I have no idea if you lot with yer DNR techno-babble-n-whatnot would judge it 'decent' or 'eye meltingly horrible' . . .
I just meant "watchable" or "not watchable" really
Old 27th November 2012, 04:16 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
I just meant "watchable" or "not watchable" really
Maybe you have similar standards to me then . I found them both easily watchable. But don't come and hunt me down if you think they look shit . . .

Like this? Share it using the links below!