Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd February 2013, 09:02 AM
Cult Acolyte

Spider-Man 2 (Extended Cut)

A couple of scenes spoilt this for me. An alternate take of Spider-Man in the lift with the guy just did not work. J.J Jameson in Spider-Man's costume..terrible !
The rest of the new scenes and extended scenes were okay.
Will stick with the theatrical cut in future.
Old 3rd February 2013, 09:21 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Scott Pilgrim Vs The Animation was a short animation showing some of the back-story concerning Scott and Kim Pine's relationship before the movie - it was quite funny!
Paperman is a Disney Short which I believe is the film before Wreck-It Ralph, but they have uploaded it to their official YouTube so more people can see it - It's worth checking out, less than 10 minutes long with no dialogue but it's heartwarming and very funny, worth a watch.
I'm late to the Skyfall party but I checked it last night and I have to say, aside from the shit jokes, which have always been 'Bond' it was really good, I'm not sure that the last hour of the film was really James Bond-esque, but it was a tense spy thriller with some really good set-pieces - very enjoyable.
Finally I revisted Jake West's Video Nasties: Moral Panic, Censorship & Videotape which I have watched numerous time before along with every other film about video nasties and I STILL can't believe how gullible people were in the early 80's and how they had no concept of what makes people tick... How on earth did MPs think that Cannibal Holocaust was 'real life'... good grief!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 3rd February 2013, 10:36 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
How on earth did MPs think that Cannibal Holocaust was 'real life'... good grief!
Sadly, I think it's quite easy to understand how people could think it's real

I mean, throughout the movie, we have already been shown real violence and death - the killings of the animals, for instance - so by the time we get to the ending, our brains are already telling us 'what I am seeing is real. If the animals were killed, then it's feasible that the people were also killed'!

Add to this, the fact that Deodato shot himself in the foot, by insisting that the lead actors 'disappeared' for a year, and that they did no promotions for the film, and you can understand why some people jumped to the wrong conclusion!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 3rd February 2013, 11:19 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Watched The ABCs of Death last night. I thought it was pretty cool idea but of course as there are 26 directors in a 2 hour anthology it means each "movie" is quite short so there is not much to get into. Overall it was a good effort and with all anthologys there are some bad shorts and some good shorts. Two of them are really messed up and both were Asian ones! ha
Enjoyable but doubt I would rewatch.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 3rd February 2013, 11:59 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Sadly, I think it's quite easy to understand how people could think it's real

I mean, throughout the movie, we have already been shown real violence and death - the killings of the animals, for instance - so by the time we get to the ending, our brains are already telling us 'what I am seeing is real. If the animals were killed, then it's feasible that the people were also killed'!

Add to this, the fact that Deodato shot himself in the foot, by insisting that the lead actors 'disappeared' for a year, and that they did no promotions for the film, and you can understand why some people jumped to the wrong conclusion!
When you put it like that I can see your point, but the MPs and reporters were still very naive and gullible to go with it - I feel that the video tapes shouldn't have been handed over to young children, and some classification or indeed common sense from the shop owners should have been in place, but there is no way that films 'make' people behave in a certain way. You're either a looney psycho or you're not.

No offence to our loonies

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 3rd February 2013, 12:03 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
No offence to our loonies
You just offended everyone here

Rik, Justin101 and trebor8273 like this.
Old 3rd February 2013, 12:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just got back from taking the kids to see Paranorman in 3D, taking advantage of Vue Cinema's Kids AM deal. We absolutely loved it, especially me who understood all the little references to other films, eg the Judge that sentences the witch to her death being called Hopkins. Definitely going to add this to the collection
Nordicdusk likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 3rd February 2013, 12:12 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Just got back from taking the kids to see Paranorman in 3D, taking advantage of Vue Cinema's Kids AM deal. We absolutely loved it, especially me who understood all the little references to other films, eg the Judge that sentences the witch to her death being called Hopkins. Definitely going to add this to the collection
Im glad you liked it i knew you would. Its a fantastic little film.
Old 3rd February 2013, 12:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post
Im glad you liked it i knew you would. Its a fantastic little film.
It is, we missed out on seeing it during it's original run so I was chuffed when I saw it as this weekends Kids AM film, also said on the website that it was the last chance to see it on the big screen too (probably due to the fact it came out on home video last week).
The Kids AM deal is great as it only costs £1.75 per ticket (£3 if it's in 3D) and with the showings being at around 10am, the place isn't full of loud teenagers or noisy kids, most parents are hungover and can't be arsed to take their kids to the cinema at that time.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 3rd February 2013, 12:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched these over last couple of days, apart from rocky horror which im just about to watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0052.jpg (97.0 KB, 10 views)
Justin101 and sawyer6 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!