Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th March 2013, 10:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE CORRIDOR - I thought this was OK, although maybe I was expecting something slightly more psychedelic or weird. A bunch of twenty somethings get together for a reunion years after one of them was incarcerated in a psych-ward. They find a strange, ethereal zone in the local forest and turn into psychic murderers. It's well handled and taken seriously, particularly in terms of the build-up, which is all about psychology and character. When it lets loose there are some intense scenes, but the strangeness intrinsic to the material isn't quite sustained enough for my liking. It's garnered good reviews and I plan to give it another shot.

BACHELOR PARTY MASSACRE - Sometimes I buy those poundland "this is obviously a complete waste of your time and totally shit" horror DVDs without knowing anything about the lump of plastic my hand apart from the cost and the likelihood of vinegary resentment setting in once I press play. But sometimes I've discovered interesting movies in the course of this often drunken activity. I have to say I really enjoyed BPM. It has the vibe of 'real' latter-day exploitation about it, as opposed to those post mid-noughties Tarrantinoesque wannabes. It's grimy, looks like shit, but plays fast and mean and is obviously made with intelligence acting dumb. Some chumps at a 'bachekor party' are offed by an angry woman. A bit too comedic, and could've done with more harshness, blood and flesh, but, for me, the atmosphere was there.
Old 24th March 2013, 11:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I know, I know, I shouldn't be watching crap like this at my age but I can't help myself. Resident Evil: Retribution, it must be the lovely Ms Jovovich's eyes that pull me towards these movies.

There! Kick me out of the forum or send me to the 21st century version of Coventry, might be somewhere in Estonia or Latvia or summ'at, but I liked it!

Perverse, aren't I?

Monster Magnet
Old 25th March 2013, 01:22 AM
Ex-member

Today's Viewings
Cabin Fever
Cabin Fever 2: Spring Fever
Hostel
Hostel: Part II
Hostel: Part III
Rik, trebor8273 and Hawkmonger like this.
Old 25th March 2013, 08:15 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched The Card Player and i was quite shocked at how good i thought it was after reading some negative reviews.
PaulD, fuzzymctiger and Hawkmonger like this.
Old 25th March 2013, 08:54 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I recently rewatched The Goonies because like Rik it was one of my childhood favourites, but to be honest it really bored me, those others that Rik mentioned though do stand the test of time much better.

I watched Gremlins 2 last night finally - haha I never realised it was so gory at the end it's pretty gruesome, obviously as a 13yr old it didn't phase me at the cinema. I got a kick out of the soundtrack though, Slayer and Faith No More when Gremlins were up to no good and Christopher Lee is brilliant fun. It was weird seeing 'The Doctor' from Star Trek Voyager though aha!
Rik and trebor8273 like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 25th March 2013, 08:55 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1962 View Post
Watched The Card Player and i was quite shocked at how good i thought it was after reading some negative reviews.
Thank you!!

See, it's actually a good movie IMO, just everyone expects a proper Argento Giallo from it.

Lower your expectations, and it's fantastic.
Hawkmonger and tele1962 like this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 25th March 2013, 09:39 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I recently rewatched The Goonies because like Rik it was one of my childhood favourites, but to be honest it really bored me, those others that Rik mentioned though do stand the test of time much better.

I watched Gremlins 2 last night finally - haha I never realised it was so gory at the end it's pretty gruesome, obviously as a 13yr old it didn't phase me at the cinema. I got a kick out of the soundtrack though, Slayer and Faith No More when Gremlins were up to no good and Christopher Lee is brilliant fun. It was weird seeing 'The Doctor' from Star Trek Voyager though aha!
I never quite took to The Goonies myself, it was ok when I was a kid but even then I found it a bit too silly. Not seen it in years, maybe I'll revisit it one wet afternoon.
Gremlins 2 on the other hand I really like and need to pick up sometime. Love the Rambo gags.
Rik and Justin101 like this.
Old 25th March 2013, 10:11 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

yesterdays viewings
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0282.jpg (95.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0283.jpg (88.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpeg beauty+and+the+beast+(tv+series).jpeg (64.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg tranvers.jpg (8.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg brisco.jpg (9.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 25th March 2013, 10:32 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1962 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy-san
Thank you!!

See, it's actually a good movie IMO, just everyone expects a proper Argento Giallo from it.

Lower your expectations, and it's fantastic.
Agreed thrice fold. I'm a fan also, seriously so. I consider it to be Argento's best movie since Opera. It's greatest failing is that it feels less like an Argento film than Pre-Opera titles, it's almsot run of the mill save for some truely odd touches that make it worth the re-watch. I prefered it to the ultimately dreary Stendhal Syndrome and Lado-esque Sleepless. Erm...lets not talk about anything that came after TCP, Okey? Dracula 3D is still The Room level of ineptitude mind, worth watching for VAMPIRE MANTIS!
fuzzymctiger and tele1962 like this.

DVD and BD collection
Old 25th March 2013, 10:37 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
Agreed thrice fold. I'm a fan also, seriously so. I consider it to be Argento's best movie since Opera. It's greatest failing is that it feels less like an Argento film than Pre-Opera titles, it's almsot run of the mill save for some truely odd touches that make it worth the re-watch. I prefered it to the ultimately dreary Stendhal Syndrome and Lado-esque Sleepless. Erm...lets not talk about anything that came after TCP, Okey? Dracula 3D is still The Room level of ineptitude mind, worth watching for VAMPIRE MANTIS!
Watching the interview with Dario in TCP, it seemed he wanted to really move on from the standard Giallo look, being much older now he felt his film had to move with the times.

Like this? Share it using the links below!