Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179666Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th October 2009, 11:57 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Last night I watched this:

VIY 1967 Soviet Union Dirs: Konstantin Yershov, Georgi Kropachyov & Alexandr Ptushk. Hanzibar/Pagan Films

As a lover of the novella upon which this is based I was delighted to discover this film existed (again, thanks Loops! ). It's really very close to the source text indeed and pulls off the conversion from odd story to film with considerable success.

It's a film both charming and spooky with a lovely look to it. The performances are great (and often funny) and the naïve special effects are a joy to behold. Ity also manages to cram a lot into a short running time (78 mins) which is something I admire greatly! A Gothic tour-de-force is not too strong a term. A film deserving of a greater audience. I recommend this highly.

Apparently a large budget remake with fancy CGI is due any day now.
Old 24th October 2009, 01:37 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Last night I watched this:

VIY 1967 Soviet Union Dirs: Konstantin Yershov, Georgi Kropachyov & Alexandr Ptushk. Hanzibar/Pagan Films

As a lover of the novella upon which this is based I was delighted to discover this film existed (again, thanks Loops! ). It's really very close to the source text indeed and pulls off the conversion from odd story to film with considerable success.

It's a film both charming and spooky with a lovely look to it. The performances are great (and often funny) and the naïve special effects are a joy to behold. Ity also manages to cram a lot into a short running time (78 mins) which is something I admire greatly! A Gothic tour-de-force is not too strong a term. A film deserving of a greater audience. I recommend this highly.

Apparently a large budget remake with fancy CGI is due any day now.

It certainly had its moments in the final 3rd...But I thought the rest was just frustratingly empty with nothing really going on.
It took ages to get to the village, and then there was just a lot of standing around doing nothing once there.
The 'staying the night' part of the film was so good and well done, I wish it had played a much bigger part.

SPLATTERDRAGON:

Nice to hear! I've have been wondering about "Cold Prey 1 & 2" as I've been very impressed with recent Euro horror.
I'll have to pick this up i think.
Old 24th October 2009, 01:46 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak View Post
But I thought the rest was just frustratingly empty with nothing really going on.
I suppose it could be seen that way, but I'm quite happy for a film to have nothing happening so long as it looks good! And I loved the style and atmosphere of this film.
Old 24th October 2009, 03:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
Just ordered some goodies from Amazon Marketplace:

- Central Park Drifter
- Combat Shock
- The Dead Pit
- The Last Horror Film
- Messiah of Evil: The Second Coming
- Terror Firmer
Let me know what you think of TERROR FIRMER when you get it
Old 24th October 2009, 04:21 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor View Post
Let me know what you think of TERROR FIRMER when you get it
Will do mate.
Old 24th October 2009, 05:23 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

i love terror firmer, did you get the 2 disc editon of it and combat shock? how much was the dead pit ?
Old 24th October 2009, 09:51 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I have just watched the Blue Underground disk of Nightmare City only to discover that I have never seen it before!!! I always assumed I had seen it but no. Nice.

I had always thought it was a zombie flick, had no idea it was an "infected living" film á la The Crazies and 28 Days Later.

Not entirely awful I thought! Clearly it was rushed, but it was competently made by and large and fairly well shot. I am appreciating Lenzi more as I am older, perhaps cutting him more slack as I know more about the industry and imtes in which he worked.

Decent disk, but I thought colours were a little faded and edges a little soft. I wonder if that was just down to film stock though.

What a surprise! I wonder what film I got it mixed up with to make me think I had seen it? Perhaps it was "Zombie Creeping Flesh"? I am about to watch that right now - for the first time in about 20 years (at a guess!) - so I'll soon know!
Old 24th October 2009, 10:05 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitchslicer View Post
i love terror firmer, did you get the 2 disc editon of it and combat shock? how much was the dead pit ?
Yep, I got the two disc versions of Terror Firmer and Combat Shock. I'd been meaning to pick up these for a while now.

I got The Dead Pit for £7.14 - pretty cheap I thought!
Old 24th October 2009, 10:06 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I am intrigued by this "The Dead Pit" thing. Investigations may begin...
Old 25th October 2009, 07:07 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post
If you haven't already guessed, both Cold Prey and Cold Prey II:Resurrection come highly recommended!
I enjoyed "Cold Prey ". It was my first exposure to Norwegian horror. I wasn't aware of a second film so I'll be checking that out when I can.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!

Like this? Share it using the links below!