Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th January 2010, 07:14 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by loops View Post
Yeah I heard that. shame

Is the Killer is Still Among Us out on dvd?
No sadly this too is missing a dvd release, this film would cause the BBFC a major headache with the first and last killings.

Another Giallo that I wish would be released on dvd is Reflections In Black as well
Old 24th January 2010, 09:31 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Back In Action - This is my first exposure to US fitness legend Billy Blanks and his wham bang style of martial arts. I rented this due to Roddy Piper's co-starring credit and I have to confess this was far more fun than I was expecting. The plot is as simple as they come with an ex special forces guy teaming up with a cynical cop to bring down some local gangsters. Some great one liners with plenty of action both unarmed and gunplay help keep you occupied for its 79 minute running time. A fine example of mindless fun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Back In Action.jpg (4.3 KB, 7 views)

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 24th January 2010, 05:50 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Ed Gein - The Butcher Of Plainfield

When Deranged was made the film-makers saw fit to turn Ed Gein into Ezra Cobb even though the resultant film was actually quite close to the facts of the notorious case. I presume that enough was fictionalised that they thought they should change names and such.

Ed Gein - The Butcher Of Plainfield masquarades as a true story retelling of the Gein case, but actually bears very little resemblance to the history. As a biopic type film it is a travesty. If ever a film needed names changing it is this one, far more so than Deranged. It is as close to the true crime stoary as Dirty Harry was to the true story of the Zodiac killings.

OK, so, that annoyance aside, how is it as a horror film? Well, as a horror film, well, as a film generally, it is quite appalling. One of the worst films I have sat through in months. Issues run thus:

1) Kane Hodder is quite astonishingly miscast as Ed Gein. Utterly unsuitable in the part, Hodder just lumbers through glowering menacingly. Very bad.

2) Kane Hodder is the best actor in the film! The rest of the cast are rather "amateur dramatics" and utterly unengaging. It is painful to witness some lines being delivered.

3) The occasional efforts of stylish film-making seem to come from "The Big Book Of Moody Cinematography Cliché". You've seen it all before, better executed. Aside from the efforts at style, the rest of the film-making is largely inept: cameras shake, framing is bad, there are overlong pointless shots holding back the pace...which leads me to

4) It seems to go on forever. It is under 90 minutes in length, but sitting through it is an ordeal. You'd swear it ran two and a half hours.

5) Ed Gein almost seems secondary. Mostly the film is concerned with the family affairs of a newly promoted Deputy Sheriff. Said Deputy is played by an abysmal actor upon whose shoulders no film should rest.

Is anything good about it? Well, the gore FX are very good. Some convincing wounds are in display and the make-up is generally excellent. None of this, however, makes up for the massive failings of the film.

It doesn't even have any kitsch value, it's just bad; not enjoyably bad, not "so bad it's good", just genuinely bad. A film to avoid and despise.
Old 24th January 2010, 08:49 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Death Laid An Egg

A glorious trippy mess of a thing; Giallo as if made by Godard. Initially confusing and experimental, this thriller gels into a superb story with a great ending. One of the best Gialli I have seen, I would love to see a restored version of this released by someone.

It has a cold, almost Cronenbergian atmosphere of modernity to it - that is, late 60s version of modernity - which really unsettles you as much as the avant garde editing techniques and the mostly atonal Free Jazz soundtrack (which is excellent). It's a visual treat, in my opinion.

There is also some fine casting - Jean Louis Trintingnant is excellent and Gina Lollabrigida plays a dislillusioned, untrusting, borderline harridan with far more aplomb than you'd think of this former sex kitten.

I loved this film. It would be a perfect Shameless release and is deserving of a nice wash and brush up and reissue.
Old 24th January 2010, 09:10 PM
Ex-member

Default 'What films have you seen recently?'‏

ALIENS
Still the best ALIEN film in my opinion
BOTCHED
Not a bad comedy horror
COMMANDO
A fun action packed film, and the first time I've seen it uncut
STAGE FRIGHT
Soavi's best in my opinion
MOTHER OF TEARS
No way as good as some previous films but Argento's stilj got his trademark violence. Not as bad as reviewers say, no way!
THE BEYOND
Fulci's best zombie horror
Old 24th January 2010, 09:57 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Just watched:

Blood Creek: Michael Fassbender plays a blood-thirsty Nazi mutant-thing, entertaining farce with Fassbender steeling the show.

Tell-Tale: Michael Cuesta finally directs outside of TV again - been a looong time since L.I.E! Too bad its a middle-of-the-road reimagining of Poe's Tell Tale Heart. Josh Lucas does the work required to make the film watchable.

Relentless: Hadn't seen this since well, pre-highschool days! Still remember the scene where Judd Nelson strangles the lady in the washing machine like it was just yesterday! Entertaining b-movie goodness from Bill Lustig!
Old 24th January 2010, 10:41 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philleh View Post
Just watched:

Blood Creek: Michael Fassbender plays a blood-thirsty Nazi mutant-thing, entertaining farce with Fassbender steeling the show.

Tell-Tale: Michael Cuesta finally directs outside of TV again - been a looong time since L.I.E! Too bad its a middle-of-the-road reimagining of Poe's Tell Tale Heart. Josh Lucas does the work required to make the film watchable.

Relentless: Hadn't seen this since well, pre-highschool days! Still remember the scene where Judd Nelson strangles the lady in the washing machine like it was just yesterday! Entertaining b-movie goodness from Bill Lustig!
I quite enjoyed Blood Creek and saw Tell Tale a while back and thought it was average. Josh Lucas did a good job on the acting side. Lena Headey is doing so many horrors these days. Trying to become a scream queen me thinks

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 24th January 2010, 10:46 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philleh View Post
I have all four Relentless movies on dvd.The first is by far the best of the series.I could play the opening theme to the movie 24/7 and never tire of it.Sounds almost exactly the same as the Maniac Cop theme,although that's because they were both composed by Jay Chattaway.

Last edited by Stephen@Cult Labs; 25th January 2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 25th January 2010, 07:18 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I watched one of my favourite slashers last night: Black Christmas - completely out of season, I know but I was planning to watch it over Xmas, and just didn't have the time!
Old 25th January 2010, 07:27 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
I watched one of my favourite slashers last night: Black Christmas - completely out of season, I know but I was planning to watch it over Xmas, and just didn't have the time!
a tru classic

My DVD Collection
Tumblr

Like this? Share it using the links below!