All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179627Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th December 2013, 08:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

"Jackie Brown" 3 word review - Pam is SMOKIN'! 20/10
"Bunraku" 2 word review - Nice try! 15/10
"Source Code" we-ell! Okay, I guess. 12/10
"The Lone Ranger" An intellectual is someone who can listen to "The William Tell Overture" without thinking "Hi ho Silver! Away!" 18/10
"(The) Dead Matter" Apalling! (But I managed t' stick with it t' t' end)! -7/10
"Mars Attacks" Still love it! 20/10
"Harvey" One of the greatest films of all time! Discuss. 30/10
"Pulp Fiction" No shi-it, mother! 17/10
"30 Days of Night" Quite good, actually. 14/10
"Bubba Ho-Tep" T'riffic, really t'riffic, Farted, come again! 19/20
"Ichi the Killer" (live action) Bloody, nasty, great! 18/10

Monster Magnet
Old 27th December 2013, 09:57 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

A Good Day to Die Hard (2013)

A strange one this. I enjoyed it as a straight up action film. The fifteen minute chase through the Moscow streets was terrific fun, although similarly to Olympus Has Fallen the film never topped its opening half hour.

The main problem was that whilst it was an enjoyable action film, a Die Hard film it was not. The script didn't seem written for John McClaine, it was as though Bruce Willis's classic hero was an afterthought. Many films since the first Die Hard film have seemed like Die Hard - the Under Siege films for example, unfortunately this wasn't one of them.

The fact that it made $304m on a budget of $92m suggests there might be another in the series. If that is the case then please go back to the original Die Hard template and give us a taut, claustrophobic thriller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a_good_day_to_die_hard_0.jpg (85.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 27th December 2013, 10:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Superman II missed first one realised as it was finishing ,
this is classic stuff to me cant beat the original superman films terrific in every sense ,
these films are what superman are all about thats why I havent watched superman man of steel bcause I just be expecting to much from it and will feel i will only be dissapointed,
Old 27th December 2013, 10:27 PM
Cult Addict

By all accounts Willis has every intention of making a 6th die hard.
I quite enjoyed A Good Day To Die Hard (despite the crap title) but I agree it lacked any sense of the siege element which the original introduced and didn't feel like a Die Hard film at all.
Old 27th December 2013, 10:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
By all accounts Willis has every intention of making a 6th die hard.
I quite enjoyed A Good Day To Die Hard (despite the crap title) but I agree it lacked any sense of the siege element which the original introduced and didn't feel like a Die Hard film at all.

I hated it feel could have been so much better , very dissapointing feel they didnt concentrated making a die hard film, more of just a action blockbuster to cash in on the franchise .
Old 28th December 2013, 12:10 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
I hated it feel could have been so much better , very dissapointing feel they didnt concentrated making a die hard film, more of just a action blockbuster to cash in on the franchise .
I'm sure I read somewhere that it was originally meant to be a completely independent action film and that it was rejigged to become the fifth Die Hard at the last minute.
And as for Superman, Man of Steel is fantastic but if you're a huge fan of the originals then you might well be disappointed gag as MoS does take quite a different approach.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Old 28th December 2013, 12:58 AM
Cult Addict

Watched WakeWood tonight. An atmospheric British horror set in a rural village in Ireland.
A couple struggling to get to grips with the tragic loss of their daughter try to start afresh in said rural village.
I wasn't expecting much from this so I was pleasantly surprised to find it weren't half bad.
Don't get me wrong it's no classic but it has a lot of character and it had some new ideas I hadn't seen before which is always a winner as far as I'm concerned.
Old 28th December 2013, 07:23 AM
Seasoned Cultist

The Fury - some things I liked, others not so much. Worth a look, but not my favourite DePalma.

Deranged - what a great little flick, the most surprising release of the year, for me - I'm pretty sure I only ordered it to bulk up an order from Arrow. Performances were terrific, direction spot on. Some really good extras as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (97.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 28th December 2013, 01:10 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
A Good Day to Die Hard (2013)

A strange one this. I enjoyed it as a straight up action film. The fifteen minute chase through the Moscow streets was terrific fun, although similarly to Olympus Has Fallen the film never topped its opening half hour.

The main problem was that whilst it was an enjoyable action film, a Die Hard film it was not. The script didn't seem written for John McClaine, it was as though Bruce Willis's classic hero was an afterthought. Many films since the first Die Hard film have seemed like Die Hard - the Under Siege films for example, unfortunately this wasn't one of them.

The fact that it made $304m on a budget of $92m suggests there might be another in the series. If that is the case then please go back to the original Die Hard template and give us a taut, claustrophobic thriller.

One of the worst films of the year for me. Boring as a straight-up actioner, criminally useless as a Die Hard film. Brice Willis looked bored beyond belief throughout the whole thing.

"I'm supposed to be on f--king vacation!"

No you're not! You specifically went to Russia to bail out your son!!!!
Demoncrat and sjconstable like this.
Old 28th December 2013, 02:21 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
One of the worst films of the year for me. Boring as a straight-up actioner, criminally useless as a Die Hard film. Brice Willis looked bored beyond belief throughout the whole thing.

"I'm supposed to be on f--king vacation!"

No you're not! You specifically went to Russia to bail out your son!!!!
My thoughts exactly. I was bored, Bruce Willis was bored, and the whole thing felt forced and generic. As for the lines you quoted, that was one of my top three problems with the film.

Like this? Share it using the links below!