Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree178798Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th November 2009, 01:04 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
Many regard it as the be-all and end-all classic of the Universal years, but watching it again recently I find it pales in comparison with the original Frankenstein (and many other Universal films to be honest). The last 15 mins are brilliant but the humour descends into pure daftness and seems completely out of place. The air of menace from the first film is totally missing and even the murder of Hans during the monster's revivial, which should have been a powerful moment, is completely invalidated by the appearance of the incredibly irritating Una O'Connor.

Herecy I know but still......
Oh yes, I agree. It was the one always held up as not only the best 'Universal' horror, but one of the best horror films full stop.
Never agreed.
But I also tend to disagree about what most people call the best 'Hammer' films too.

I have to say I have a soft spot for good old Una!
But yes...serious drama she does not add.

I'll have a double bill of the first 2 ASAP and get some thoughts down.
Old 17th November 2009, 01:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
Many regard it as the be-all and end-all classic of the Universal years, but watching it again recently I find it pales in comparison with the original Frankenstein (and many other Universal films to be honest). The last 15 mins are brilliant but the humour descends into pure daftness and seems completely out of place. The air of menace from the first film is totally missing and even the murder of Hans during the monster's revivial, which should have been a powerful moment, is completely invalidated by the appearance of the incredibly irritating Una O'Connor.

Herecy I know but still......
The missing footage does not help,but I agree the first is the best.I also like Son Of Frankenstein which has one of Bela Lugosi's best performances.Of all the Universal classics of the 1930s I think James Whale's INVISIBLE MAN is the best.The humour works better here than in the later Bride.
Old 17th November 2009, 06:11 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by broonage View Post
Ordered it from a seller on ebay France. It's the Neo package, think it was €5.
thanx mate , i will be ordering it from them soon i think
Old 17th November 2009, 09:05 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

MANHUNT
Brutal,violent,gory.
Seek it out now.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 18th November 2009, 10:26 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Cannibal women in the Avocado jungle of death

Oh dear, had to sky+ this when I saw the title but such a waste of my time, its a comedy but not very funny at all.

Have XTRO 2, Dust Devil, Outpost and Flesh for Frankenstein 3D to watch so they should ease my pain
Old 18th November 2009, 12:48 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I watched The Signal last night. It's a great little film that could have been a modern cult-classic hadn't the second part of the film been such an oddity!

Still recommended though.
Old 18th November 2009, 02:10 PM
Cult Acolyte

Watched Night of the Creeps last night and, to be honest, it wasn't quite as good as I remembered it, still glad to have it though.Also, I couldn't help noticing one of the police patrolmen who nearly has his head sliced off by the axe-wielding zombie in Creeps was none other than Robert Kerman (aka Professor Harold Monroe of Cannibal Holocaust).
Old 18th November 2009, 02:19 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Kerman also turned up as the NY harbour tugboat captain in the first Spider Man.
Old 18th November 2009, 03:07 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

I watched Creeps recently too. I enjoyed it, the bonus stuff is fun too.

I watched Season of the Witch last night.
Old 18th November 2009, 10:36 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Saw Harry Brown last night, absolutely stunning film! Bleak, dark, depressing, controversial and extremely violent. One of the best films to come out in a long time, Michael Caine's performance is absolutely superb

Like this? Share it using the links below!