Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179659Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th July 2015, 06:11 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I love a good anthology but have not checked out The ABC's of Death as yet. It has received mixed reviews both as a whole and even from story to story but I'm still looking forward to checking it out at some point. I added it to my Love Film rental list the other week so hopefully it will appear through my letterbox in the not too distant future.
Old 6th July 2015, 06:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I love a good anthology but have not checked out The ABC's of Death as yet. It has received mixed reviews both as a whole and even from story to story but I'm still looking forward to checking it out at some point. I added it to my Love Film rental list the other week so hopefully it will appear through my letterbox in the not too distant future.
At times the pacing felt a bit off. It began with a few cracking stories then we'd get two or three daft or animated pieces which dissipated any tension that had been built up.

I suppose it was always going to be that way given the premise of the piece.

I'd recommend you watch it, definitely.

If i could edit out the ones i'm not bothered about there would be a cracking 70 minute anthology which i would give top marks to.
Old 6th July 2015, 06:22 PM
Active Cultist

Terminator Genisys

Even though I'm no fan of the current 12A CGI overkill cinematic climate, and while I long for a return to the Tech Noir slasher vibe of the original 1984 film... this was surprisingly watchable.

Low expectations can of course help, but it really is a joy to watch Arnold reprise this role and the film moves briskly along through a succession of inventively staged action set-pieces. Some of the gags fall flat and Jai Courtney awkwardly sticks out as Kyle Reese, but even he's not nearly as terrible as I'd feared he'd be.

Overall, better than T3 and Salvation, but still not a patch on Cameron's first two.

Screwiest time travel logic EVER, though.
Old 6th July 2015, 07:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Doc View Post
Terminator Genisys

Even though I'm no fan of the current 12A CGI overkill cinematic climate, and while I long for a return to the Tech Noir slasher vibe of the original 1984 film... this was surprisingly watchable.

Low expectations can of course help, but it really is a joy to watch Arnold reprise this role and the film moves briskly along through a succession of inventively staged action set-pieces. Some of the gags fall flat and Jai Courtney awkwardly sticks out as Kyle Reese, but even he's not nearly as terrible as I'd feared he'd be.

Overall, better than T3 and Salvation, but still not a patch on Cameron's first two.

Screwiest time travel logic EVER, though.
Got tickets booked for this on Thursday was put off at first with the poor reviews but it only seems to be the critics that have it in for it, everyone I know who have seen enjoyed it, not as good as the first two but a lot better than the sequels. Think I'll watch the first one tonight
TJ Doc and keirarts like this.
Old 6th July 2015, 07:14 PM
Cult Master

Terminator-Genisys-T-800.jpg

Im not going to talk about the plot because its just out and i would rather avoid any spoilers for any one who wants to see it at the cinema. When the first trailer was released i was not impressed at all it looked cheap and the cgi looked very unconvincing all hopes were dashed that this would be a great return to the series for Arnie. A few months later the second trailer gave me the impression i wanted from the first one it looked action packed the cgi looked much better and Arnie looked in great form i was excited again. Since release it has gotten alot of negative reviews but who cares about reviews i always make up my own mind so i headed to the cinema with the same spring in my step i always have when i get the chance to see Arnie on the big screen.

First im going to get the bad out of the way i have been wanting to get this off my chest since yesterday i absolutely HATED Kyle Reese in this the guy who plays him has one of the most smug faces i have ever seen and the character of Kyle Reese spent the who film shouting and acting like a spoilt brat i was praying that Arnie would crush him or the T-1000 would turn him into a human shish kebab. I honestly have not been this annoyed every time a main character has been on screen since Hayden Christensen played Mannequin erm i mean Anakin. I really didnt feel the connection between Kyle and Sarah Connor i just didnt believe their relationship. Emilia Clarke was pretty decent as Sara Connor but she only looks about 16 so a few times i found myself having to remind myself that she was Sarah Connor.

I know im stating the obvious here but Arnie is the stand out performance in Terminator Genisys and believe me this is not some nostalgia blinding my judgement Arnie is still more than capable of carrying a film alone and doing it in style he looks physically in great shape and even as we know he is not an amazing actor by any means but he has a presence on screen that more than makes up for his lack of ability. Terminator Genysis is fast paced the story keeps moving and the action is pretty non stop and the cgi for the most part is very good once or twice at the start i was a little worried but it improved soon after to my relief. There is plenty of humour from Arnie but the Terminator smile was over used and sometimes the humour felt very forced especially when it was Kyle Reese delivering the lines. One part made me cringe when they used to theme from the show cops for one scene to try and bring humour just flat out did not work for me and i even felt my cheeks get a little hot from embarrassment.

I didnt hate the film and i didnt love it im very firmly in the middle after the first viewing maybe given time i might appreciate it more when its released on Blu Ray. Its always great to see Arnie strong and on top form and for that alone it was worth going to see and even after so many years of hearing him say his famous line it still makes me smile and it never gets old.

There aint many of our childhood heros left and when he says " Ill Be Back " sometimes i think to myself i hope he is true to his word.

Film 7/10
Old 6th July 2015, 07:52 PM
Cult Master

MV5BMzU0ODAyNDU0Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDkzNzA2NA@@._V1_SX214_AL_.jpg

Mikhail Rostov hatches a plan to invade the USA and with an extremely well armed military at his disposal what could possibly ruin this plan ? Why Chuck Norris of course.

Matt Hunter (Chuck Norris) while working for the CIA was given the task of taking down international terrorist Mikhail Rostov but when he was about to complete his mission Hunter is in two minds should he kill Rostov while he has the chance of obey orders and take him alive. Hunter decides to obey orders and quits the CIA for a quite life living in the Florida swaps.

Hunters quite life is short lived when the CIA arrive at his home with news that Rostov is back and he is the only man that can track him and take him down again but Hunter is still haunted by his decision to hand Rostov in rather than put and end to him when he had the chance. Meanwhile Rostov is plagued by nightmares of Hunters attempt on his life and so before he invades the US he sets out to kill Hunter.

Invasion USA is awesome its like your the quest of honour at a 1980s cheese convention where your role as quest of honour is to sample as much cheese as you can handle in 90 minutes. Let me tell you in this 90 minutes you will get the chance to sample some of the finest cheese you could ever dream of. In typical 80s action fashion everyone and his dog has a bazooka and is not afraid to use use it on man woman or child. No one is save people shopping or strolling down the street or just decorating their xmas trees are all treated to the sweet taste of bazooka. Chuck Norris struts around like a ginger Fonz kicking ass like it aint no thang. Matt Hunter has one emotion and thats KILL

If you like fun times and like the taste of cheese you CANNOT go wrong with Invasion USA.

Film 8/10
Old 6th July 2015, 08:16 PM
Cult Master

81d-eZAtogL._SL1500_.jpg

Final Exam has no deep story or even a story at all just a knife wielding nutter shows up on campus but he comes across a little half arsed after a promising start where he slaughters two lovers in the back of a car it takes him the best part of an hour before he goes on the rampage maybe if he had gotten to know the students a bit more he would of murdered everyone in the school in the first 20 minutes they are just that likeable.

The first hour is slow and it seems like the director is trying to get the viewer to build some sort of relationship with the students and make them care for the characters so when the finally die you feel something for them well it worked i felt joy when they were picked off so great job there. The last 25 minutes of Final Exam has all the action crammed in which comes across a little too rushed and it would of served the film a lot better if they had spread the kills out over the whole 90 minutes rather than trying to shoe horn it all in at the end. It may have made a better job of creating more tension two many times they went with the jump scare where instead of the killer it was the janitor , the security guard or someones boyfriend or girlfriend so you knew what was coming when it was about to happen.

For all its flaws its still a fun early 80s slasher and the Scream Factory Blu Ray looks great and is well worth purchasing although its very light on features

Film 7/10
Old 6th July 2015, 08:24 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I'm pretty sure I've seen Final Exam but, as I don't own it, I'm not sure how, when, or where. I may have been given a review disc back in the day and, if I have, I'll try and find it and watch it when I can.
keirarts likes this.
Old 6th July 2015, 08:34 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Dem & I have just been discussing Final Exam in the 'Is it Worth Buying' thread... let's just say my rating differed vastly to yours, Nordy!
Old 6th July 2015, 09:03 PM
Cult Master

class-of-1984-movie-poster-1983-1020191792.jpg

Andy Norris shows up for his first day at Lincoln high as soon as he walks into his first class he is threatened and set upon. No surprise for someones first day at a new high school but Andy Norris is not a student trying to fit in at a new high school he is Mr Norris the new music teacher and this is like no other school he has ever worked at before. The walls are covered in graffiti the students have to walk through metal detectors before entering the school and the teachers bring guns to school for protection against the gangs especially the gang lead by Peter Stegman. They run the school selling drugs running prostitution and they are no strangers to violence both physical and sexual. If someone crosses their path they wont get a chance to do it again. They have the school and the staff in the palm of their hand and only Mr Norris is brave enough to stand up to them but at what cost to both his career and his personal life.

Class of 1984 starts off like alot of other high school films where students are struggling with authority and decide to rebel and a new teacher arrives to calm them but unlike other films with that same premise but in Class of 1984 you wont find the teacher become the hero of the rebellious youth taking them under his wing and transforming their lives and everyone lives happily ever after no thing start off bad for Mr Norris and the get worse and worse as the film continues. Andy Norris is a marked man and not ever his pregnant wife is safe from Stegman and his gang.

I have always loved this film and after not seeing it for a good few years its even better than i remember. I love that you just do not know how far that Stegman and his gang will go to get what they want and they are willing to go as far as it takes killing anyone who stands between them and their goals. A stand out scene that displays the insanity of Peter Stegman is when he smashes up in own face to make it look like Mr Norris has attacked him proving to everyone there are no limits. Great music great acting and the revenge feels sweet violent and very satisfying after everything the gang but Peter Norris through.

Film 8/10

What an awesome theme song too

Like this? Share it using the links below!