Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179635Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th October 2015, 09:05 PM
Cult Acolyte

Saw Clown last night. When a clown booked for his kid's birthday party cancels at the last moment, a family man and real estate agent happens across an old clown suit in a vacant house he's showing, and decides to put on the suit and do the job himself. All goes well, until after the party, when he suddenly finds himself unable to take it off... because it's not a suit; it's the skin of an ancient demon that feeds on children, and it's now slowly taking him over... This bizarre and creepy 2014 horror flick sounded interesting, and proved to be even better than I expected - fast-paced, imaginative and genuinely scary. I really enjoyed this!
Old 18th October 2015, 11:02 PM
Cult Addict

Vovolaka, born of evil, sinful and corrupt.
Your hands are bloody with violence, your mouth bitter with taste of sin and corruption.
You are guilty and abhorred. Vovolaka! Vovolaka!
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 19th October 2015, 03:03 AM
Cult Acolyte

Saw Crimson Peak at the cinema today. Enjoyable Gothic Romance Horror, beautifully directed. Nothing overly special perhaps but I had a good time with it anyway.
Old 20th October 2015, 12:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE DEMONS AMONG US – This is by the director of 'Monstro' and 'Chocolate, Strawberry, Vanilla', both strong, imaginative latter day horror entries which approach the genre sideways on. 'The Demons Among Us' is not exactly a straightforward stomp through the usual territory, either. “The Evil Dead shot by David Lynch” screams the blurb. I think what they probably meant to say was “freaky and aggravating in a way that you probably won't understand, with zombies”, but this is a Troma acquisition, so you can't exactly expect humility, especially when it comes to packaging. So some guy returns to his home town and something involving the dead returning to life starts to happen. A narcissistic ad man and a gloopily murdered family are in there too, although as soon as any kind of plot emerges, it's swept away by a deluge of visual tangents and fractured images (and, it has to be said, by a fair amount of People Wandering About In The Dark). I kind of lost all sense of what was going on about a third of the way in, but, I admit it, I was drunk and slightly distracted by Troma's characteristically poor AV presentation, although it's entirely possible that 'The Demons Among' us was as grittily shot as it plays on my disc. None of this is intended as criticism, particularly – I like weird, skewed films that don't really make sense, and 'The Demons Among Us' is pretty much at home in that niche. It might try the patience of those looking for something a little more linear, but it delivers gore and cheap video effects with flair. The director obviously evolved a lot after he made this, but traces of 'The Demons Among Us's eccentricity can be found in those other films of his that I mentioned.

NECROMENTIA – Another confusing and weird entry, obviously by some guys who've read some Clive Barker short stories whilst listening to Industrial Metal. 'Necromentia's plot is convoluted and difficult to describe, but basically, there's this necrophiliac, and he's visited by an angry rocker type guy in his hairdressing salon, and the rocker guy, who it later turns out has a disabled brother who is coerced into suicide by a pig demon living in his TV, tells necrophiliac-barber “dude, I'm gonna carve some sacred symbols into your back and you're going to hell, 'cos I like need you to explore this whole other reality I have no real understanding of” - oh, did I mention that Necrophiliac-barber has already been killed by a messed up Cenobite-looking entity in one of the more moodily shot corridors of the depths of hell – 'Necromentia' is kind of told in reverse - anyway, angry rocker type guy turns out to be loving brother of aforementioned suicidee, and also he's addicted to smack and performs as a creepy s&m droid in some kind of underground sex club, and he has visions of an otherwordly being who, it transpires, was the lover of necrophiliac-barber's once living crush before he flipped out and killed her and was transformed into a demon because, well, y'know. And so it goes on. 'Necromentia' is baffling, contrived and ambitious beyond the wherewithal of its makers, but these qualities in themselves are to be applauded in the face of the usual direct-to-dvd dirge. It also looks pretty nice despite its (I assume) microbudget origins, with a damp looking and claustrophobic visual style, plus some icky practical effects (some of the rapid editing looked a bit 'of its time', but you can't have everything). Good? Bad? Who knows, but oddities like 'Necromentia' get my vote every time.

SCARECROWS – Back to the late eighties with this low budget 'sleeper'. 'Scarecrows' is about some thieves who've escaped the scene of their latest heist in an aeroplane. Unluckily for them, they end up having to touchdown in a sinister field after one of their number does one and hits 'eject' with the readies. Down there in sinister field is a sinister house, and, more to the point, lurking in the background are some sinister scarecrows intent on doing some damage. A NOTLD type scenario then evolves. 'Scarecrows' isn't very original, but it is pretty watchable. At first, it looks like there may be some drag – yes, the return of those People Wandering Around In The Dark, they do feature quite heavily here. But soon a tense, creepy atmosphere sets in. And those scarecrows are pretty mean – they're well into gore. That facial stabbing.... ouch. As well, there is a kind of elusive, fairytale or dream-like aspect to it... nothing is explained, there's nothing about the supernatural goings on that makes narrative sense, and, although the previous occupants of the sinister house are alluded to a lot, their role in all of this isn't clear, and for me this just adds to the tone of dislocation. There are some flaws, of course. The characters do stupid, unbelievable things, but hey, when did they ever NOT do stupid, unbelievable things in films like this? The pacing is off and the filmmaking has an awkward, stilted quality about it. But this in itself is quite enticing, and puts me in mind of those serious, earnestly made regional indies from seventies and eighties America, films put together by inexperienced crews who just happened to have a bit of backing, a camera and a straightforward desire to turn in a few bucks. In fact, 'Scarecrows', and others like 'Beyond Dreams Door', can lay claim to being the last gasp of that kind of flimmaking, from a time before low budget horror was more fully corporatised, or left in the hands of stoners with vid cams. 'Scarecrows' is a good movie, not earthshattering, but atmospheric, eerie and satisfyingly grim. I had a good time with it and I'm pleased it's coming out soon (if it hasn't already) on Blu-Ray.
Old 20th October 2015, 12:26 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post

NECROMENTIA
A terrific film. I've seen it three or four times now and it gets better with every viewing. As you say it's very ambitious and full of footage that wouldn't have got past the BBFC back in the 80's, or 90's probably.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 20th October 2015, 12:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
A terrific film. I've seen it three or four times now and it gets better with every viewing. As you say it's very ambitious and full of footage that wouldn't have got past the BBFC back in the 80's, or 90's probably.
Yeah, I was surprised at that torture scene, no way it would've made it past the BBFC pre early 2000s.
Old 20th October 2015, 01:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Yeah, I agree with Dem (who recommended Necromentia to me), great film.

The Green Inferno- I've been wanting to watch this for years, ever since I first heard about it. Unlike the majority of people these days, I'm a fan of Eli Roth and have enjoyed everything he's done thus far (besides The Sacrament that I watched last night, which doesn't even deserve one of my famous 3 word reviews!), and being a fan of the Italian Cannibal cycle of films from the 1970's and 80's, I was interested to see how this subject matter would be tackled in this day and age.
For a start, I enjoyed it and will most definitely watch it again. For those unfamiliar with the plot, it's about a group of student activists who travel to the Amazon to stop it from being destroyed by a big corporation.
Cue lots of gun toting soldiers? threatening to shoot one of the activists, until it's announced that the entire thing is being broadcast online, followed by the plane they arrived in crashing as they make their way home after a successful protest.
What follows is where the film really takes off, characters are attacked by the local cannibal tribe, with the surviving members of the group being locked in a bamboo cage straight out of Jungle Holocaust, before being picked off one by one. Yeah, we've seen it before, but who cares when hardly anything is original these days in horror!

Even though it's title would suggest it was influenced primarily by Ruggero Deodato's Cannibal Holocaust, I thought it was more like Cannibal Ferox, certain aspects emphasise this,a character who is dressed fairly similar and acts much like Giovanni Lombardo Radice's Mike Logan for example.
It's pretty gory in places and animal lovers will be happy to learn that no animals were killed on screen.
Much like Rob Zombie did with House of 1000 Corpses, Roth's film is a homage to some of his favourite films, with his own stamp thrown in.

Recommended for fans of Cannibal films and the films of Eli Roth, not recommended for bandwagon jumpers
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 20th October 2015, 02:44 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Yeah, I agree with Dem (who recommended Necromentia to me), great film.

The Green Inferno- I've been wanting to watch this for years, ever since I first heard about it. Unlike the majority of people these days, I'm a fan of Eli Roth and have enjoyed everything he's done thus far (besides The Sacrament that I watched last night, which doesn't even deserve one of my famous 3 word reviews!), and being a fan of the Italian Cannibal cycle of films from the 1970's and 80's, I was interested to see how this subject matter would be tackled in this day and age.
For a start, I enjoyed it and will most definitely watch it again. For those unfamiliar with the plot, it's about a group of student activists who travel to the Amazon to stop it from being destroyed by a big corporation.
Cue lots of gun toting soldiers? threatening to shoot one of the activists, until it's announced that the entire thing is being broadcast online, followed by the plane they arrived in crashing as they make their way home after a successful protest.
What follows is where the film really takes off, characters are attacked by the local cannibal tribe, with the surviving members of the group being locked in a bamboo cage straight out of Jungle Holocaust, before being picked off one by one. Yeah, we've seen it before, but who cares when hardly anything is original these days in horror!

Even though it's title would suggest it was influenced primarily by Ruggero Deodato's Cannibal Holocaust, I thought it was more like Cannibal Ferox, certain aspects emphasise this,a character who is dressed fairly similar and acts much like Giovanni Lombardo Radice's Mike Logan for example.
It's pretty gory in places and animal lovers will be happy to learn that no animals were killed on screen.
Much like Rob Zombie did with House of 1000 Corpses, Roth's film is a homage to some of his favourite films, with his own stamp thrown in.

Recommended for fans of Cannibal films and the films of Eli Roth, not recommended for bandwagon jumpers
Is this actually out at last??
Old 20th October 2015, 02:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Is this actually out at last??

Yeah, if you know where to look
Justin101 likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 20th October 2015, 03:21 PM
Cult Addict

Ah i see. The Sacrament Rik, you know that's not actually Eli Roth? Or did i misunderstand?

Like this? Share it using the links below!