Like Tree179635Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd July 2015, 10:30 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
'The Seventh Continent', 'Funny Games' and 'Hidden' are all great and I really vouch for them. You don't have to buy into Haneke's 'ideology' to find them affecting and really quite disturbing. Is he pretentious? He knows his shit and he's not pretending anything beyond what he presents, I just find his views on the relationship between audience and image a bit contradictory in some ways. But I won't get started on all that again or I'll seriously need that booze back, Dem.
Shit!

Yes, i have Hidden as well - the one about the videotape that turns up isn't it?
Old 3rd July 2015, 10:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Shit!

Yes, i have Hidden as well - the one about the videotape that turns up isn't it?
That's it. A really ominous, menacing 'thriller', I thought. I was absorbed, anyway. You should see 'The Seventh Continent' - really bleak and absurd.
Old 3rd July 2015, 10:44 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
That's it. A really ominous, menacing 'thriller', I thought. I was absorbed, anyway. You should see 'The Seventh Continent' - really bleak and absurd.
Sounds like Hammer's The Lost Continent.

No , actually that's just absurd.

As for Funny Games, does it matter which version you see or is the US version a watered down mess?
Old 3rd July 2015, 10:45 PM
Cult Master

leadtheylive1.jpg

Nada (Roddy Piper) heads to the big city looking start over a build a new life for himself. But for Nada the dream does not always become reality. Soon he strikes it lucky when he finds work down town doing construction where he meets Frank (Keith David) who takes him to a waste land on the edge of town where the homeless have built their own little community. On the surface everything seems normal but Nada is suspicious when he sees some of the leaders of the community gathering in a church on the edge of the settlement. Things start to take a stranger turn when random broadcasts keep popping up on the TV warning people of a danger that people are unaware of hidden throughout society. A few nights later the settlement is raided by the military and some of the leaders are arrested finally confirming the strange feeling Nada as had all along. When everything goes quite Nada returns to the church and all he finds are boxes of sunglasses but these are no ordinary sunglasses this sunglasses allow the wearer to see the hidden treat now Nada must convince others to join him to remove them from society and save the human race from who knows what.

Not really surprising to see the name John Carpenter followed but the word awesome and They Live is no exception on the surface it comes across like a typical 80s good time film but underneath that good time exterior there is a much deeper message going through They Live. John Carpenter does a great job of tackling over the top consumerism of 1980s America. (Consumerism was exclusive to the US in the 80s no one had any money over here ) I like that he directed it in a way that you could take what you wanted from the film his message is not force fed to the viewer its there if you want it to be or there is just a fun action Sci-Fi film. Roddy Piper and Keith David are both fantastic they work really good together and their performances are very solid and who could forget that fight scene every time i think about it it makes me smile it feels like its never going to end but thats not a bad thing its a very very good thing. Oh and Meg Foster used to scare the shit out of me as a kid those eye man they get in your nightmares

theylive4.jpg

Film 8/10
Old 3rd July 2015, 10:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:

As for Funny Games, does it matter which version you see or is the US version a watered down mess?
Yep, SC is no Hammer film for sure.

As for 'Funny Games', the remake was supposedly shot-for-shot, no content extracted / watered down etc. Haven't seen it though, can only recommend the original.
Old 3rd July 2015, 10:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:

As for 'Funny Games', the remake was supposedly shot-for-shot, no content extracted / watered down etc. Haven't seen it though, can only recommend the original.
Cheers Mr. T.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 3rd July 2015, 11:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Cheers Mr. T.
I pity the fool who buys that Haneke box set based on what I say, that's for certain.
Lolz.
Mr T?
Geddit?
Don't worry, I'll get my hat...
Old 4th July 2015, 08:30 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I've only seen The Piano Teacher which i like, but you and Nos make Haneke sound like a right pretentious prick.

I think i've drunk your booze Frankie.
Quote:
'The Seventh Continent', 'Funny Games' and 'Hidden' are all great and I really vouch for them. You don't have to buy into Haneke's 'ideology' to find them affecting and really quite disturbing. Is he pretentious? He knows his shit and he's not pretending anything beyond what he presents, I just find his views on the relationship between audience and image a bit contradictory in some ways. But I won't get started on all that again or I'll seriously need that booze back, Dem.
Hidden (Caché) is a masterpiece and Benny's Video (arguably a precursor to Funny Games) is also well worth seeing. Haneke won't be everyone's cup of tea and, in some ways, he is similar to Lars von Trier: genuinely gifted, films are generally, if not always, thought provoking and worthy of discussion but he is a prick at times!
keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 4th July 2015, 08:45 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Quote:

If you're going to watch one of them, watch the original as Susanne Lothar and Ulrich Mühe are far better, more convincing and sympathetic than Naomi Watts and Tim Roth as the main couple, and Arno Frisch and Frank Giering are much more edgy and threatening than Michael Pitt and Brady Corbet. As such, the only real difference is the casting. In terms of the technical merits, although there is a different cinematographer and editor, Haneke has such control over every aspect of production that there is no discernible difference between the two.
Old 4th July 2015, 10:56 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Haneke's The Seventh Continent is one of the most harrowing films I've ever seen, not a single chink of light, a devastating film.

His latter work is also fantastic. Amour and The White Ribbon are both superb, both haunting in completely different ways.

He was due to make Flashmob this year but it's been scrapped.

Haneke is one of the great modern directors.

Like this? Share it using the links below!