Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179668Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th July 2015, 09:30 AM
Cult Acolyte

THE BRUTE MAN (1946)

The return of Rondo Hatton as 'The Creeper'. Although released after Universal's HOUSE OF HORRORS (1946) this film plays as a prequel to that film, giving the back breaking Creeper a back story to how he became disfigured.
Once again, The Creeper roams the streets on the run from the police. He makes friends with a blind woman (Jane Adams) who because she cannot see him, is the only person who does not recoil from his appearance. Although a Universal film, the movie was released by PRC.

Rondo Hatton did not live to see his two starring roles on the screen. He died the same year in 1946. His appearance lived on in the ROCKETEER (1991)
Old 5th July 2015, 10:38 AM
Cult Addict

Shakma shakma.jpg

With all the high brow discussion of Haneke films I feel somewhat guilty for spending my Saturday night with this. Only somewhat however as its incredibly entertaining.

Essentially its a bunch of medical students Larp-ing a fantasy game in their research department. Roddy McDowell is their professor and game-master who has been working on a rage suppressant drug that he's testing on Baboons. The drug has the opposite effect however and the Baboon goes postal. They kill it but that monkey aint going no place and it seems even death cannot suppress that monkey madness and he promptly revives mid game and goes on a kill crazy rampage. So essentially a slasher flick with an ape. How can you not love that concept?!

Code reds blu-ray looks better than the shitty DVD release and has a commentary.
Old 5th July 2015, 11:09 AM
Cultist in Training

Default Spider Baby 1964

8/10. Cool movie. Jack Hill may be one of the most underrated Directors. Beautifully understated performance from Lon Chaney Jr.
Old 5th July 2015, 11:29 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Twins of Evil - 1971

Sat in and watched the German Blu release of this movie last night. Nice transfer, may be similar to the Synapse release as their name was mentioned on the reverse of the Blu cover, don't quote me though! Cushing was his usual brilliant self while the Collinson twins made sure my eyes never deviated from the screen. One of Hammer's better efforts, IMO. Will dig through the extras next weekend. Can't wait, because the 'making of' documentary sounds amazing.
Old 5th July 2015, 03:34 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Only God Forgives (2013)

Only God Forgives is a well made film which looks exquisite. Director Nicolas Winding Refn clearly knows how to light and frame a shot to make the film extremely captivating to the eye. His neon look giving the film a stunning night time glow. However Refn does appear to be on the way to becoming a one trick pony. This is the third film in a row which utilizes his insistence on the lead character staring meaningfully into the distance at every available opportunity. I found this quite tedious after a while. Thankfully the long silences were punctuated by occasionally great dialogue and sporadic bouts of insane violence. This isn't to say i didn't understand Refn's methods of showing Ryan Goslings complete detachment from reality and his subjogation by his mother, it's just the gazing...come on man...think of something else!

Other than that the film is impressive. Ryan Gosling portrays the driver, sorry, Julian, a Bangkok drugs operator, out for revenge of his murdered brother, who comes up against a rival even more hell bent on revenge - an outstanding Vithaya Pansringarm - who steals the acting honours from under the nose of Kristin Scott Thomas. Thomas, who was widely praised for her performance seems to be doing an impersonation of Katey Sagal's Gemma Teller from Sons of Anarchy in both looks and lingo. Either that or failing an audition for Bates Motel with a supremely rascist line before showing her slightly odd love for her son. Personally i preferred her ice cold yet witty performance in Salmon Fishing in the Yemen to this, but that's just me.

On the whole Only God Forgives is a fine film, let down by some all too familiar directorial traits. I would recommend this but i think you've all seen it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg movies-only-god-forgives-poster.jpg (69.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 5th July 2015, 03:53 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Only God Forgives (2013)

Thomas, who was widely praised for her performance seems to be doing an impersonation of Katey Sagal's Gemma Teller from Sons of Anarchy in both looks and lingo. Either that or failing an audition for Bates Motel with a supremely rascist line before showing her slightly odd love for her son. Personally i preferred her ice cold yet witty performance in Salmon Fishing in the Yemen to this, but that's just me.
I thought she was brilliant - I don't know any other actors who could have delivered the line 'And how many cocks can you entertain with that cute little cum-dumpster of yours?' with as much menace and humour!
keirarts likes this.
Old 5th July 2015, 03:58 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I thought she was brilliant - I don't know any other actors who could have delivered the line 'And how many cocks can you entertain with that cute little cum-dumpster of yours?' with as much menace and humour!
See Sons of Anarchy for more examples then.
Old 5th July 2015, 04:06 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
See Sons of Anarchy for more examples then.
I've seen the first six seasons, and heard Katey Sagal say plenty of similar things, but sometimes it just sounds like Leela with a potty mouth!

Given Kristin Scott Thomas's history of appearing in arthouse/highbrow French films (and Oscar winners like The English Patient), it carried more of a punch than if Sagal had said it.
keirarts likes this.
Old 5th July 2015, 04:10 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post

Given Kristin Scott Thomas's history of appearing in arthouse/highbrow French films (and Oscar winners like The English Patient), it carried more of a punch than if Sagal had said it.
I know what you mean.

Similar in a way to Ralph Fiennes when he turned up in In Bruges.

Which reminds me i must watch The English Patient again.
keirarts likes this.
Old 5th July 2015, 04:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

EATEN ALIVE – AKA 'Death Trap'. Had a sudden hankering to watch 'Eaten Alive' this afternoon, so I did. It's always been a bit of a divisive one, hasn't it? I guess people had a bit of a downer on Tobe Hooper for not coming up with something to round out the insanity of TCM . That's a shame, because 'Eaten Alive' is definitely worth some attention. I'm well aware that it doesn't float every Labber's boat, but I like it. I'd forgotten how bizarre it is. For those who've never been moved to try it, Neville Brand is the owner of a ramshackle motel deep in the Bayou (probably). He's also a mumbling psychopath who feeds his guests to his pet crocodile. Runaway hookers drop by and get offed. Weird families check in and the same happens to them. A little girl spends most of the movie shrieking and scampering out of croc's way. Robert Englund is a bit of a knob. Morticia Adams is a mummified brothel madam. Mel Ferrer tries to lend some dignity to the proceedings, but ends up with a scythe through his neck. That's about it. 'Eaten Alive' is as broken down and lopsided as Neville's travel lodge, and isn't afraid to play the gonzo card. We know this straight away, confronted as we are by the whacked electronic soundtrack which plays over the full moon title credits. The whole film is permeated by strange noises. Strange performances too. Brand is the forerunner of introspective psychos like Spinell's 'Maniac', forever muttering inane philosophies. Scenes of him sitting around humming tunes are closer to the heart of 'Eaten Alive' than the blood'n'guts (of which, there isn't all that much). How about those odd, odd character interactions? William Finley in that motel room, looking for his imaginary eye in the carpet? What was going on there? No quarter given to anything like rational explanation – good. 'Eaten Alive' looks incredibly stylised. The Bava 101 lighting is amped up and couldn't look more intrusive. To add to the alienation, the film has the feel of a play transported to a wretched looking film set. All of this is great / grating. The downsides carry less weight – it's a bit meandering, drags in places, some opportunities for true mean spiritedness weren't taken up. It's uneven. It's a little less than the sum of its parts, but those parts are pretty rich and strange. A film which deserves a bit more love in my eyes, 'Eaten Alive' nearly epitomises eccentric seventies drive in horror. Give it another go.

Like this? Share it using the links below!