Like Tree179663Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th October 2015, 03:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Ah i see. The Sacrament Rik, you know that's not actually Eli Roth? Or did i misunderstand?

He produced it, or should I say he once had a coffee with the guy who lives with the set carpenter's sister, so his name goes on the movie

To be fair, it wasn't that bad, just very slow and the subject matter was covered better in an episode of the X Files. Still worth the £1 it cost I suppose
keirarts and profondo rosso like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 20th October 2015, 03:33 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
He produced it, or should I say he once had a coffee with the guy who lives with the set carpenter's sister, so his name goes on the movie

To be fair, it wasn't that bad, just very slow and the subject matter was covered better in an episode of the X Files. Still worth the £1 it cost I suppose
I've not seen it yet, keep meaning to pick it up.
Old 20th October 2015, 03:53 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I actually thought The Sacrament was much better than The Green Inferno, the latter is all over the place in my opinion. It isn't helped by some God awful acting.
Rik and keirarts like this.
Old 20th October 2015, 04:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenhooker View Post
I actually thought The Sacrament was much better than The Green Inferno, the latter is all over the place in my opinion. It isn't helped by some God awful acting.

That's one of the reasons why it reminded me of CH & CF, they aren't exactly known for the acting
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 20th October 2015, 05:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I watched The Green Inferno the other night and thought it was all right actually - better than Ferox!
Rik, Justin101, keirarts and 1 others like this.
Old 20th October 2015, 05:43 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Crimson Peak

Guillermo Del Toro delivers a film that can be summed up as The Devils Backbone filtered through a combination of the Bronte sisters and Roman Polanski, in a Beautiful looking Gothic Melodrama. Mia Wasikowska plays
Edith Cushing, surly a nod to the late great Peter, the film does owe a certain debt to Hammer Horror in its influences, especially the end. Edith is a wannabe writer whose father is a rich American industrialist and played by the awesome Jim Beaver (if you have seen Supernatural or Harpers Island you should know the guy) He's being pursued for cash by Thomas Sharpe an English lord fallen on hard times and looking for capitol to build a machine that will help rejuvenate his family's clay mines in Cumbria (Allerdale to be precise which is north Cumbria and near-ish to Carlisle.) Edith falls for Tom, played to slimy perfection by Tom Hiddleston, and his creepy but hot sister played by Jessica Chastain, who is bloody marvellous by the way. Edith, who has a history of seeing dead folk is soon beset by dead things at the family estate and begins to search the run down mansion for clues to the mystery.
Crimson Peak is clearly a Guillermo del Toro film, we have bugs, darkly coloured scenes with one source of bright colour, mechanisms, the ghost effects look torn from Devils Backbone and the film nods towards more literary influences in-between the classical horror trappings. More so the film is probably the best looking, visually stunning film that the director has yet produced. The plot twists are unfortunately easy to guess, and the ghosts can be a little too CG in places for me but overall I really like this one a lot and its nice to say Del Toro has not lost his mojo.

Now back to the Halloween films!
That's very similar to my views of it, I put my thoughts in the October horror thread as I'm counting it as one of my 31 for October haha!
keirarts likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 21st October 2015, 11:30 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watched Countess Perverse (1973, JF)
More Sadean high jinks from the Manera. A couple find a woman washed up on the beach. She tells a mad tale of "the house on the island".....Sadly for her, these two are in cahoots with the owners of said house.....
Grim wee film, only spoiled by the obviousness of the "scenery" during the hunt sequence ahem.

Also watched Sella Turcica (2010, Fred Vogel)
Camille Keaton!! Fred Vogel!!
I had to see it. Quite a grim tale of a returing soldier and the family tensions this creates...until the end when it goes aw Combat Shock. Ostensibly FV's take on Deathdream updated for todays conflicts. The comm should be a hoot!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st October 2015, 12:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

SOCIETY – I've really come round to Brian Yuzna over the last couple of years, largely as a result of my reviews of his stuff ending up with the likes of “I don't rate Brian Yuzna, but this is quite good... etc etc” in them somewhere. I guess I've come to embrace his directorial hallmark, which is a strained combo of the stylistically flat and the ideationally bizarre. He's made some real dogs – nearly literally, in the case of that one with that cyber hound – but things like 'Faust' are just raving, top class freakiness. 'Society' is the one that kicked it all off. I was a bit apprehensive before watching it the other day, because, well, I've never liked it. It just never delivered for me. I was certain that, new found embrace of Yuzna or no, this one would remain on the dud pile, despite its reputation amongst fans. I'm pleased to say that I was very, very wrong, and, in parallel with my Yuzna conversion, having given it a third chance I now think it's pretty amazing. You probably all know the score – rich kid Bill is alienated from his family and thinks they're up to something. After some investigation, it turns out that what they're up to is a biomorphically challenging orgy involving slime, melting flesh and class oppression. The bulk of the film is build up which feels like a slowly dementing version of Beverley Hills 90210. I used to find this off-putting, but now I think it really works, a kind of oppressive, TV-level flatness which occasionally gives way to strange interludes (the shower scene etc) before blowing its wad on the grand finale. Speaking of the latter... man, those prosthetics are still ripe after all these years. I'd forgotten just how 'special' those scenes are, to the extent that I felt I was watching them for the first time the other day – really quite warped for the time this was made. But then, so is the film as a whole. Stepping back from it all, 'Society' is a decidedly crazed concoction – a teen high school comedy which veers off the rails into a flesh warping nightmare the likes of which even a Cronenberg bestraddled Lovecraft would have difficulty ingesting. A rather bold proposition for the anodyne late eighties, and I applaud Yuzna's courage / folly in even sitting down at the drawing board with this. Truly deserving of the mantle 'Cult Classic' and a must-see.
Old 21st October 2015, 01:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

For some reason I feel compelled to watch these today

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445433956.582307.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445433967.614650.jpg
Old 21st October 2015, 02:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
For some reason I feel compelled to watch these today

Attachment 171540

Attachment 171541
Ive no idea i wonder why?

All 3 being shown back to back on tv.
Not that i needed to tell you that
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!