Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179666Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th March 2016, 10:09 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I watched Mark of the Witch for the first time a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. A difficult film to recommend for sure though.
Good that people are taking risks with their indie horror rather than just going the camper van / machete route still popular after all these years. 'Mark of the Witch' is actually pretty audacious in many ways, and I'm glad it got distribution via Metrodome, even though they market it as the usual kind of meat and potatoes shelf filler.
Old 5th March 2016, 11:06 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
According to the official charts company, Spectre has shifted a million sales already on dvd and blu-ray.

Somebody somewhere is clearly still buying physical goods.
I bought it on Blu
Old 5th March 2016, 11:35 AM
Cult Acolyte

RADAR MEN FROM THE MOON (1952 Republic serial 12 Episodes)

The Earth is under attack. Several instalations have been destroyed and the attacks are coming from the Moon.
Commando Cody in his rocket suit, discover the Moon men's plan to conquer Earth and then move the Moon's population to the Earth. Not only do the Rocketman and pals have to fight off the Moon men, but also the henchmen on Earth helping them in their schemes....

The Rocketman Returns! First appearing in King Of The Rocketmen (1949) this time the Rocketman is an inventor named Commando Cody. The serial does contain many flying scenes from the previous 1949 serial but as always this is great fun. Each episode has Commando and his friends involved with gunfights, fistfights, car chases, rocketships and the usual cliffhanger endings.

Awesome.

Old 5th March 2016, 12:40 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
MARK OF THE WITCH (the new one, not the old one) – Looking for a few cheap thrills and a story line you can really relate to? You'll roll your eyes at this one. Made by people whose only reference points can possibly be The Three Mothers trilogy, Inland Empire and a Jess Franco box set, 'Mark Of The Witch' clearly don't give a f*ck about character driven narrative. What it does give f!ck about are visuals. 'Mark of the Witch' is basically a slew of images, some of which are related enough to hint at a story. The majority are filmed in that saturated but gauzy look which is the arch-signifier of 'arty and dream-like'. I'm exaggerating, a bit, and there is a plot, sort of. Young Jordyn is celebrating her 18th birthday (just an aside, but she looks about thirty) when her aunt / guardian whoever stabs herself in the stomach, proclaiming “it is time”. Later transpires “it is time” for Jordyn's mother, who is a powerful witch, to reincarnate herself through Jordyn (or something). Cue lots of sequences of Jordyn looking scared, or acting out of character, or warding off possession, or some weird shit. 'Mark of the Witch' has attracted some really negative reviews which unfortunately speak more of the short sightedness of some 'fans' than the shortcomings of this film. As an experience, the film will absolutely frustrate viewers who demand nothing other than straightforward genre fare, but for those more into imagery and surrealism it's an interesting proposition, and I do recommend it though it's not entirely flawless. There are shifts of tone which often occur when, for example, a convincingly 'seventies' haze gives way to intrusions of crude CGI – couldn't work out whether this was intentional, but it was certainly grating to look at. Also, given its ambitions to shaft the rule book and go all trippy, it could've been a bit more elaborate with its imagery. And it's repetitive and a bit smug. But then, so am I.
Frankie, is this the Mark of the Witch to which (ahem) you refer?

I wasn't sure as B_E confused me by saying he'd seen it a couple of years ago as it's only just come out i think. Maybe he was referring to the 70's film.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81DrDX5V07L._SL1500_.jpg (99.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 5th March 2016, 02:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Frankie, is this the Mark of the Witch to which (ahem) you refer?

I wasn't sure as B_E confused me by saying he'd seen it a couple of years ago as it's only just come out i think. Maybe he was referring to the 70's film.
Yes it is. But it is a couple of years old and has played a few festivals - also known as 'Another' in the US.
Old 5th March 2016, 03:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Yes it is. But it is a couple of years old and has played a few festivals - also known as 'Another' in the US.
Cheers, FT.

It's one that's on my radar. Not sure why but a few new releases this year look interesting, so i'm a bit chuffed to say the least that you like it. I have a few in my wishlist. If you want to know the others just ask and i'll list them.

A good review from your good self is definitely a recommendation as far as i'm concerned.
Old 5th March 2016, 03:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Dark Floors (2008)

Generic horror movie starring the Kiss wannabee metal band from Finland, Lordi.

Largely disappointing, the film had quite a nice setting in a deserted hospital, however there's only so many times the cast, including Brit thesp Ronald Pickup, can shout at each other and sense danger without anything actually happening.

Lordi don't appear until the fifty minute mark which was frankly a bit piss poor in a film that ran to a measly 75 mins plus end titles, and when we did finally see them the scenes were so dark it nullified their terrific costumes. Which begged the question why hide them away? It's not like the punters don't know what they look like. I have an album by them (very good it is too) and they grace the cover in all their splendid finery, so their appearance is hardly a mystery.

I'd ignored Dark Floors for a long time expecting it to be shite in a Kiss Meets the Phantom of the Park(1978) shower of shoddiness, unfortunately it doesn't possess that films level of fun, instead attempting something serious (the treatment of autism) and ever so dark in a poorly lit room sense.

Poor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dark_floors.jpg (48.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 5th March 2016, 05:04 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Cheers, FT.

It's one that's on my radar. Not sure why but a few new releases this year look interesting, so i'm a bit chuffed to say the least that you like it. I have a few in my wishlist. If you want to know the others just ask and i'll list them.

A good review from your good self is definitely a recommendation as far as i'm concerned.
Nice sentiments, Dem. Thanks. As always though, beware taking the word of Frankie as gospel when it comes to this kind of thing - my tastes are fairly 'acquired', as we both know.

I know what you mean about interesting new releases. I've had a few hits, following what's felt like a dry patch. Always nice when things come through.

What are these other films of which you speak? Yes, please list them. Have a feeling we may overlap.
Old 5th March 2016, 05:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Nice sentiments, Dem. Thanks. As always though, beware taking the word of Frankie as gospel when it comes to this kind of thing - my tastes are fairly 'acquired', as we both know.

I know what you mean about interesting new releases. I've had a few hits, following what's felt like a dry patch. Always nice when things come through.

What are these other films of which you speak? Yes, please list them. Have a feeling we may overlap.
Rather than just listing them. Here are the covers.

They might be good, they might be rubbish, or most likely a mixture of the two, but above all they sound interesting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51pKaffWZpL.jpg (50.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 71MzCV1rWxL._SL1500_.jpg (82.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 71O1VzI3B-L._SL1200_.jpg (94.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 81lqSsicRIL._SL1500_.jpg (97.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 91OlunExAHL._SL1500_.jpg (99.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 91k3iQV00wL._SL1500_.jpg (102.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 91l5A-w-2eL._SL1500_.jpg (100.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 91MYnzs7uyL._SL1500_.jpg (96.2 KB, 8 views)
Old 5th March 2016, 08:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457210977.761334.jpg

A small town in America vampires, humans and zombies live together in relative peace together, that's until aliens invade and this event stirs racial tensions between the vampires and humans, part horror, scifi and high school comedy. It shouldn't work but some how it does thanks to a likeable cast and story. A enjoyable mix of comedy, gore, and high school comedy, well worth a watch for fans of 80s b horror movies. 7.9/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457211323.475046.jpg

Having not seen this before I thought I better before I see the sequel next week. Total OTT and silly, but is still highly enjoyable( if not a little xenophobic ). Basically die hard in the White House, with Gerald butler having to rescue the president when the White House is taking by terrorist. A true popcorn film in which you can switch of your Brain for two hours and just enjoy the ride. 7.4/10

Next up

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457211768.852640.jpg

Last edited by trebor8273; 5th March 2016 at 08:25 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!