Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th March 2016, 09:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457129168.712043.jpg

Enjoyable Disney movie, enjoyable characters and a nice change to have a Disney princess that's not in need of rescuing and can take care of herself. But I did expect a little more with it being the 50th film but as I said still very enjoyable and the real star of the film has to be the horse. 7.9/10

Next up

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457129607.347424.jpg
Old 4th March 2016, 09:27 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Attachment 176422

Enjoyable Disney movie, enjoyable characters and a nice change to have a Disney princess that's not in need of rescuing and can take care of herself. But I did expect a little more with it being the 50th film but as I said still very enjoyable and the real star of the film has to be the horse. 7.9/10

Next up

Attachment 176423
Have you seen "Enchanted", Disney's live action princess film? It is excellent and plays on, and to, all of Disney's own cliches.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 4th March 2016, 10:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Have you seen "Enchanted", Disney's live action princess film? It is excellent and plays on, and to, all of Disney's own cliches.
Agreed. I also think Enchanted is excellent.

The early copies came with a phone charm and slip case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2409 (Large).jpg (91.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 4th March 2016, 10:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Great review, Dem.

I've only watched Succubus once and wasn't overly keen. I think I'm going to have to dig it out again sometime and give it a re-watch.
Cheers B_E.

I liked it the first time i saw it, so there's every chance it won't get any better for you.
Old 4th March 2016, 11:13 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

According to the official charts company, Spectre has shifted a million sales already on dvd and blu-ray.

Somebody somewhere is clearly still buying physical goods.
Old 5th March 2016, 04:49 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Cannibal Man BD

Why does no one ask him why he has a shadow board full of hammers, spanners and pliers in his living room?!

Last edited by Zann; 5th March 2016 at 05:11 AM.
Old 5th March 2016, 07:27 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Malatesta's Carnival Of Blood. (American Horror Project)

I have to be honest I was ready to turn this off after about twenty minutes, but I stuck with it, pleased I did as it just becomes more and more mesmerising, sort of hypnotic, I really started to get into the film.
I would never say it was a great film but one more to be experienced.

The extras are good and give a little more incite into the thinking behind Carnival Of Blood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 143744_large.jpg (37.1 KB, 35 views)
Old 5th March 2016, 09:28 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

NIGHTMARE DETECTIVE – From Shinya Tsukamoto. A sullen young man has the power to enter the dreams of others. He's co-opted by a police detective on the trail of the one known as 'O', an elusive character who appears to be responsible for a number of nightmare-based deaths. They all get together for some fairly mind melting dream sequences. 'Nightmare Detective' is sandwiched somewhere in between the subtle likes of 'Vital' and 'Kotoko' in Tsukamoto's filmography, but it doesn't feel like the same kind of movie (cryptic, subdued and slightly soul searching). Nor does it bear all that much relation to his cranked up, visually fragmented earlier works like, of course, 'Tetsuo' or 'Tokyo Fist'. It has the feel of a slightly stylised mainstream horror flick for some of its duration, although it does sacrifice pacing in places for stretches of moody poise. I liked the disturbing dream monster, which is barely glimpsed but makes itself known through convulsive camera work and lots of clattering. There's some gore to be had in places, and there are generic B movie elements like the cop-psychic partnership / chase aspect, but it's a Tsukamoto flick, so it can't remain normal for all that long. The latter half and especially the climax is a mire of hallucinogenic imagery and bleak introspection, where the sides of people's heads open to reveal endless rows of teeth and ultimately – their past. There's also a disturbing bit about early trauma where a teacher forces a kid to fall on a nail, thus setting up the future dream killer's diseased psyche. Recommended – anyone seen the sequel?

MARK OF THE WITCH (the new one, not the old one) – Looking for a few cheap thrills and a story line you can really relate to? You'll roll your eyes at this one. Made by people whose only reference points can possibly be The Three Mothers trilogy, Inland Empire and a Jess Franco box set, 'Mark Of The Witch' clearly don't give a f*ck about character driven narrative. What it does give f!ck about are visuals. 'Mark of the Witch' is basically a slew of images, some of which are related enough to hint at a story. The majority are filmed in that saturated but gauzy look which is the arch-signifier of 'arty and dream-like'. I'm exaggerating, a bit, and there is a plot, sort of. Young Jordyn is celebrating her 18th birthday (just an aside, but she looks about thirty) when her aunt / guardian whoever stabs herself in the stomach, proclaiming “it is time”. Later transpires “it is time” for Jordyn's mother, who is a powerful witch, to reincarnate herself through Jordyn (or something). Cue lots of sequences of Jordyn looking scared, or acting out of character, or warding off possession, or some weird shit. 'Mark of the Witch' has attracted some really negative reviews which unfortunately speak more of the short sightedness of some 'fans' than the shortcomings of this film. As an experience, the film will absolutely frustrate viewers who demand nothing other than straightforward genre fare, but for those more into imagery and surrealism it's an interesting proposition, and I do recommend it though it's not entirely flawless. There are shifts of tone which often occur when, for example, a convincingly 'seventies' haze gives way to intrusions of crude CGI – couldn't work out whether this was intentional, but it was certainly grating to look at. Also, given its ambitions to shaft the rule book and go all trippy, it could've been a bit more elaborate with its imagery. And it's repetitive and a bit smug. But then, so am I.
Old 5th March 2016, 09:36 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I watched Mark of the Witch for the first time a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. A difficult film to recommend for sure though.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 5th March 2016, 09:37 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Somebody somewhere is clearly still buying physical goods.
Probably to sell to CEX
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!