Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179661Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th January 2015, 01:43 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I watched The Guest for the second time last night, I enjoyed it even more this time.

A perfect mix of John Carpenter and The Terminator. It starts of relatively restrained, kind of reminded me a bit of Nowhere To Run, but the final third is ridiculous, in a good way. Great visuals and a belting soundtrack. Can see it becoming a cult favourite.

8/10

I also prefer Frenzy to Psycho. Obviously the latter is more influential and probably the better film, I just find Frenzy more enjoyable.
Old 4th January 2015, 02:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenhooker View Post
I watched The Guest for the second time last night, I enjoyed it even more this time.

A perfect mix of John Carpenter and The Terminator. It starts of relatively restrained, kind of reminded me a bit of Nowhere To Run, but the final third is ridiculous, in a good way. Great visuals and a belting soundtrack. Can see it becoming a cult favourite.

8/10

I also prefer Frenzy to Psycho. Obviously the latter is more influential and probably the better film, I just find Frenzy more enjoyable.
Indeed, the trackless shot down the stairs to the street and the way the sound is done after Barb and Rusk go through Rusk's door was a highlight for me. The last line he says sent a chill down my spine aswell.

Old 4th January 2015, 04:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Rawhead Rex

A film that falls into the so bad it's good category. Dreadful acting and effects with a poor script, but a hell of a lot of fun because of it and how many films are there with a demon pissing on a priest! 7.5/10

Running scared

Might not be the most well knowing 80s buddy/ cop movie but for me it ranks up there with the best. story of two cops ( billy crystal and Gregory Hines ) who after messing up a bust on drug lord julio Gonzales (Jimmy smits) set out to bring him down before they retire and open a bar in Florida. Works because of the two likable leads, comedy and some great action( especially a great car chase taking place on Chicagos L train system) 8.5/10

Tootsie

Perfect Sunday afternoon viewing. Struggling actor micheal Dorsey after one too many unsuccessful auditions and a reputation of being difficult to work with disguise himself as a woman and gets a job on a popular soap opera, his charcter becomes hugely popular but problems arise when he become attracted to one of the female cast members and to make matters worse her father is attracted to him as is male member of the cast. Works largely to the great script, characters and Dustin Hoffman's performance. Funny and touching at the same time that includes a great supporting cast that includes Bill Murray, Jessica Lang, terri Carr , Charles Durning . The criterion blu Ray looks and sounds great. 10/10

Next up the guest which I haven't seen before

Last edited by trebor8273; 4th January 2015 at 08:46 PM.
Old 4th January 2015, 07:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

the guest

Well wasn't expecting much, but with how much praise people have being given it, thought I would give it a try. I'm glad I did definitely one of my top movies of 2014. The only other thing I had seen Dan Stevens in was downtown abbey and this was as far away from his character in that. Basically he worms he way into a family's life saying he knew there dead son from the army. He is Very charismatic and its not long before the entire family has taking a liking to him. we sound find out that there is something not quite right about him and that he is unstoppable killing machine . Not hard to see why it's been compared to terminator and the Bourne identity, well acted with a great soundtrack and bound to become a cult classic 9/10

Last edited by trebor8273; 4th January 2015 at 08:43 PM.
Old 4th January 2015, 08:11 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Over the Christmas and New Year:

Immortals (2011) Some good visuals but let down a little by Henry Cavills 'attempt' at a Braveheart-esque speech.

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) Good fun although I don't see the point of hiring Vin Diesel just to say "I am Groot!" Any one could have done that!

The Lost Legion (2014) Absolute crap...And I like historical dramas!

Into the Storm (2014) Again good visuals decent disaster movie.

Aftermath (2012) Somewhat claustrophobic thriller.

One Week (1920) Buster Keaton....Queue some classic stunts before CGI.

Godzilla (2014) Enjoyed this...

Edge of Tomorrow / Live Die Repeat (2014) ...and this!

X-Men Days of Future Past (2014) Still think Fassbenders Magneto the better character!

47 Ronin (2014) Is it wrong to say I enjoyed this?

Pompeii (2014) In 3D it has some good effects. But what the hell was Jack Bauer doing in Roman armour and why was he trying to clip his American accent?

Thor: The Dark World (2013) Like X-Men above I think the villian of the piece (Loki in this case) is the more interesting character.

Number 17 (1932) An early British Hitchcock picture that is really quite experimental with its use of shadows, editing and model work.
Old 4th January 2015, 08:42 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
the guest

Well wasn't expecting much, but with how much praise people have being given it, thought I would give it a try. I'm glad I did definitely one of my top movies of 2014. The only other thing I had seen Dan Stevens in was downtown abbey and this was as far away from his character in that. Basically he worms he way into a family's life saying he knew there dead son from the army. He is Very charismatic and its not long before the entire family has taking a liking to him. we sound find out that there is something not quite right about him and that he is unstopple killing machine . Not hard to see why it's been compared to terminator and the Bourne identity, well acted with a great soundtrack and bound to become a cult classic 9/10
Anyone else notice all the sly vampire stuff in THE GUEST?
Old 4th January 2015, 08:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Anyone else notice all the sly vampire stuff in THE GUEST?
No will have to give it another watch.
Old 5th January 2015, 01:38 AM
Active Cultist

Evilspeak, 1981. 8/10

Cross Bearer, 2012. 7/10

NOTLD68, 10/10

The Taking of Deborah Logan, 2014. 7/10

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, 1920. 9/10

The Conspiracy, 2012. 8/10

Honeymoon, 2014. 7/10

Old 5th January 2015, 10:07 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Showed mate Christmas Evil. He liked it.

Also watched Frenzy. Poor Anna Massey!! I see something new and appalling in this every time I watch it.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 5th January 2015, 08:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The langoliers

Another Stephen King mini series about a group of people who wake up on there flight from LA to Boston to find out that the rest of the passages and crew have disappeared, they manage to land the plane because as luck would have it a pilot was one of the passengers that didn't disappear. When they manage to land it seems that it's not just the plane that was effected they seem to be the only people left on the planet. Let down by some dreadful CGI, poor acting and overly long running time. Would of been better suited as a two hour movie 6/10

The toxic avenger

The story of mop boy melvin junko who becomes tromavilles superhero and protector after falling in a vat of toxic waste. He sets out to punish those who caused the accident and clean up the town of tromaville. Typical troma, poor acting, direction and Lots of OTT gore and black comedy. 8.5/10

Next up its in the blood ( haunted UK title). Which I only picked up because it's got lance henriksen in it. So has anyone seen it and is it anygood?

Last edited by trebor8273; 5th January 2015 at 08:47 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!