Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th January 2015, 05:41 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Watched Cabin Fever 2:Spring Fever this afternoon (recorded from The Horror Channel last night), absolute garbage, it's no wonder Ti West has disowned it, I would too!
I enjoyed it personally.

Far better than Cabin Fever 3 Patient Zero.

It's a shame producers get involved with these things.
Old 6th January 2015, 06:14 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
THE BABADOOK-Now this film has had rave reviews everywhere,Kermode even named it as his film of the year.
It WAS fantastic,creepy,spot on performances from the two main characters,and then the last two minutes **** it all up......I won't say too much for those who haven't seen it,but those who have,will probably know what I'm talking about......
I thought it was brilliant. It's one of my favourite films of the year – certainly the most intense and scary I've seen in a long time and I've ordered the (to be released) pop-up book.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 6th January 2015, 06:18 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I thought it was brilliant. It's one of my favourite films of the year – certainly the most intense and scary I've seen in a long time and I've ordered the (to be released) pop-up book.
I first read about it in Total Film in August and it whetted my appetite. Really looking forward to it's home video release in a few weeks.
Old 6th January 2015, 06:46 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
The langoliers

Another Stephen King mini series about a group of people who wake up on there flight from LA to Boston to find out that the rest of the passages and crew have disappeared, they manage to land the plane because as luck would have it a pilot was one of the passengers that didn't disappear. When they manage to land it seems that it's not just the plane that was effected they seem to be the only people left on the planet. Let down by some dreadful CGI, poor acting and overly long running time. Would of been better suited as a two hour movie 6/10
Sorry to hear you didn't like it much. It's been years but i used to think it was great.
Old 6th January 2015, 06:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The invisible man

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420573690.844997.jpg

My personal favourite of the universal monster moves( not that they are all great). This is thanks to James whales direction, some wonderful black comedy and characters but the real stars for me are Claude Raines performance which is truly chilling at times and the special effects that still stand up after all these years, remember watching this as a kid with wide eyes and awe as the invisible man removed is bandages and disappeared . A true classic 10/10

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420574097.065754.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1420574105.356327.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420574113.527328.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1420574121.218061.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420574128.021694.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1420574135.863092.jpg

Rest of tonight's viewings are two film that I have not seen in years. Firestarter and brainstorm
Old 6th January 2015, 07:29 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Invisible Man is a terrific film Trebor. Slightly underrated when it comes to the Universal horror classics in my opinion. Everyone mentions Frankenstein, Dracula and The Wolf Man, but The Invisible Man, which is probably a better technical achievement than any of them comes lagging in the distance.

From a personal point of view it rivals Frankenstein (1931) and The Wolf Man (1941) as best Universal monster movie any day of the week.
Rik, trebor8273 and J Harker like this.
Old 6th January 2015, 07:43 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Invisible Man is a terrific film Trebor. Slightly underrated when it comes to the Universal horror classics in my opinion. Everyone mentions Frankenstein, Dracula and The Wolf Man, but The Invisible Man, which is probably a better technical achievement than any of them comes lagging in the distance.

From a personal point of view it rivals Frankenstein (1931) and The Wolf Man (1941) as best Universal monster movie any day of the week.
I completely agree with you, and I'm guilty of overlooking it went thinking about the Universal monster movies, concentrating on the earlier ones.

Dracula is extremely influential, and Bela Lugosi is justifiably iconic but, on every technical level, including the special effects which still look good, even when comparing to Hollow Man, The Invisible Man is a step above.

For me, the two Frankenstein films are amongst the best of the two decade output of the studio, and two of the finest horror films ever made.
Old 6th January 2015, 07:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

My favourite Universal horror has always been The Black Cat (1934)

Outstanding performances by all, with Lugosi actually showing he could act, and a story involving some fairly taboo subjects. Especially at the time of release.
trebor8273 and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 6th January 2015, 07:53 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
My favourite Universal horror has always been The Black Cat (1934)

Outstanding performances by all, with Lugosi actually showing he could act, and a story involving some fairly taboo subjects. Especially at the time of release.
A surefire 10/10 from me – the skinning scene is unbelievably nasty!
Old 6th January 2015, 08:37 PM
Cult Master

the-brotherhood-of-satan.jpg

Brotherhood Of Satan begins with a close up of a toy tank ticking and flashing its lights. The camera cuts to a real tank crushing a family car containing its owners inside. As the family scream and blood starts to flow the car is completely flattened into the ground and we cut back to the toy tank clicking and flashing its lights. A small boy dressed as a cowboy walks away from the crushed car and joins a small group of other children waiting for him. Imagery like this continues throughout Brotherhood Of Satan giving us plenty of chilling scenes.

A widower accompanied by his 8 year old daughter and his girlfriend on a road trip are forced to an abrupt stop to avoid hitting a small child standing in the middle of the road. While looking for the missing girl from the road they find the crushed car over the embankment and rush straight to the next town to report the accident to the local sheriff. They are greeted with hostility from the towns people and the sheriff. Lucky to escape the angry mob while leaving town their car breaks down and they are forced to walk back to town and seek help. They get a lot more than they bargained for when they return.

There seems to be an invisible force over the town stopping anyone from entering or leaving and the towns people are living in fear of a satanic cult involving all the old people of the town. Families all over the town are murdered and their children taken to the satanic lodge. The widower and his girlfriend team up with the sheriff and the local priest after his daughter is taken by the brotherhood to find out who is behind the disappearances of the children.

Brotherhood Of Satan uses some very creepy images mainly involving childrens toys to get its point across and to good effect. The best thing for me is the downbeat ending. Well worth a watch i picked it up for €5 as part of a double feature Blu Ray with Mr Sardonicus region 1.

Like this? Share it using the links below!