Like Tree179659Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th May 2016, 10:18 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I bet your collection is a lot more 'Sight and Sound' than mine is.
Perhaps. I've seen your comedy shelf!

Quote:
Then again i do have steelbooks of things like My Darling Clementine and new Criterion releases like Only Angels Have Wings have been in my collection for years, admittedly not with a fancy sniffy Criterion banner just Columbia classics.
Mine has gone through quite a lot of transitions really.

Before I had a massive sort out a few years ago I had a lot of modern blockbusters and cheap horror stuff as I would blind-buy all the time and take advantage of the numerous in-store sales in HMV, MVC, Borders, Silver Screen and even W H Smith's before the high street was slain by the online behemoth that is Amazon. A lot has been purged and my DVD collection mainly consists of more cult horror/exploitation fare now. I've never really owned a lot of classic films of any genre really as my excuse would be that they're always easily obtainable/viewable so why would I need to buy them. With the diminishing state of physical media this is just no longer the case (or at least not as much of a certainty as it used to be) so since my switch to Blu I have been picking up more classic cinema, Noir, crime, silents etc. as it could very well be my last opportunity to own these films on disc. This also means that a lot of my Blus I've never owned on DVD before.

Now I'm a bit wiser (well, at least I consider myself to be!) in terms of what I purchase and tend to rent/stream a lot of stuff that I haven't seen rather than blind buying all the time and therefore amassing tonnes of stuff. I feel my collection is a little more attuned to my tastes than it may have once been during my blind-buying / hoarding peak as I'm more choosy in what I buy, but at the same time want to build up a varied collection of stuff I enjoy and will do for many years.
Old 9th May 2016, 10:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Perhaps. I've seen your comedy shelf!

Mine has gone through quite a lot of transitions really.

Before I had a massive sort out a few years ago I had a lot of modern blockbusters and cheap horror stuff as I would blind-buy all the time and take advantage of the numerous in-store sales in HMV, MVC, Borders, Silver Screen and even W H Smith's before the high street was slain by the online behemoth that is Amazon. A lot has been purged and my DVD collection mainly consists of more cult horror/exploitation fare now. I've never really owned a lot of classic films of any genre really as my excuse would be that they're always easily obtainable/viewale so why would I need to buy them. With the diminishing state of physical media this is just no longer the case (or at least not as much of a certainty as it used to be) so since my switch to Blu I have been picking up more classic cinema, Noir, crime, silents etc. as it could very well be my last opportunity to own these films on disc. This also means that a lot of my Blus I've never owned on DVD before.

Now I'm a bit wiser (well, at least I consider myself to be!) in terms of what I purchase and tend to rent/stream a lot of stuff that I haven't seen rather than blind buying all the time and therefore amassing tonnes of stuff. I feel my collection is a little more attuned to my tastes than it may have once been during my blind-buying / hoarding peak as I'm more choosy in what I buy, but at the same time want to build up a varied collection of stuff I enjoy and will do for many years.
I think that's the thing really. Variety. As you say. It's now a case of building a library of what you'll want to keep for the future. As an example so many of the titles Network are releasing are rather niche but as someone who loves British films, if i don't get them now and indeed blind buy when will i ever see them? Now i don't know this for certain but i'd hazard the majority aren't on Netflix for example.

I'm still happy to pick up blind buys of new films when they drop in price to a couple of quid but not at £7 - £10.

By the way. That was just a comedy shelf. My classic comedies aren't with that lot.
Old 9th May 2016, 11:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
I think that's the thing really. Variety. As you say. It's now a case of building a library of what you'll want to keep for the future. As an example so many of the titles Network are releasing are rather niche but as someone who loves British films, if i don't get them now and indeed blind buy when will i ever see them? Now i don't know this for certain but i'd hazard the majority aren't on Netflix for example.

I'm still happy to pick up blind buys of new films when they drop in price to a couple of quid but not at £7 - £10.

By the way. That was just a comedy shelf. My classic comedies aren't with that lot.
I always blind buy if less than 3/4 quid if never heard of the film.
Never blind buy on over a £5
Only times i would is if i know the film but never seen it and heard mainly good things about it.
keirarts likes this.
Old 9th May 2016, 11:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Is that just blu or both formats b-eye?
Jaw drops

I probably own about that in films
And about 50 blu ray
keirarts likes this.
Old 9th May 2016, 11:54 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I broke 1,000 titles today (including pre-orders).
Must have to much time and money.
Old 9th May 2016, 11:58 PM
Cult Addict

I've not counted in a while but I'm pretty sure I've got well over a 1000 films. But only roughly 300 are blu's. Might actually do a count tomorrow.
Old 10th May 2016, 07:00 AM
Cult Addict

Symptoms

Angela Pleasence plays Helen, a troubled young woman who takes her friend for a visit to her country estate. Things seem great at first, however Helen seems to have more than friendship on her mind and also seems to be preoccupied by something else in the house. There also seems to be something going on with the creepy grounds keeper Brady (Peter Vaughan).
Its difficult to say to much about the film as I'm well aware quite a few people might not have seen it, given until now it was difficult to get to say the least. It might not play well with people looking for action as its pretty much a slow burning gothic melodrama cum psychological thriller rather than an out an out horror. Its centred on a brilliant performance from Angela Pleasence who really sells her troubled character and ensures everything else works brilliantly. About the only thing I didn't buy is the idea of Peter Vaughan as a ladies man but then thats also addressed in the film as well. The transfer is excellent, I know there was some controversy over the framing but it looks right and I can't see it really working in a different ratio so I call BS on that.
Old 10th May 2016, 08:31 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I currently have 5143 discs in my collection, 1627 of which are Blu-ray Discs.
Old 10th May 2016, 09:22 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I currently have 5143 discs in my collection, 1627 of which are Blu-ray Discs.
I keep getting told off by the other half for not saving my money so I tend to curb my collecting every now and then in an effort to save something but then I spend it on books or tattoos anyway

My collection can be seen here on my blu-ray forum profile, I add stuff as I buy it so it's current, I don't log my DVDs so I have no idea, I've given a lot to charity.

Blu-ray.com - Blu-ray Movie collection

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 10th May 2016, 09:57 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Must have to much time and money.
If only!

Like this? Share it using the links below!