Like Tree179652Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th July 2016, 07:45 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Any fans of Satan's Baby Doll that want to argue it's case?
Whilst I quite enjoy it, I doubt I (or anyone for that matter!) could argue that it is a good film.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 28th July 2016, 10:30 AM
Cult Veteran

Mirror (1975)

Andrei Tarkovsky's semi-biographical story of a dying man remembering his childhood past and in particular his mother. In a bizarre twist of symbolism the same actor plays both his son (in current time) and he as a child (in the 30's) while the same actress plays both his mother and his wife.

I wont bother giving a complex review as I don't fully understand everything which I saw but it was an excellent dreamlike experience with some absolutely stand-out cinematography including this dream sequence from towards the start of the film.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 28th July 2016, 11:10 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

DEATH FACTORY – No budget schlockola from Brad Sykes. In it, a bunch of college students (some of whom are quite weirdly characterised) find themselves looking for a place to party when one them remembers “that old chemical factory on the edge of town”. You know, that abandoned chemical factory, the one that obviously looks nothing like an actual chemical factory because, well, no one could get enough money together for sets. So, college guys, you'll have to make do with an empty house with some test tubes in it, not that anyone in their right minds would want to get loaded there anyway. Obviously, be ready to get murdered one by one. First, do some shagging, some arguing, plenty of wandering around in the dark, the usual stuff. If it gets boring, we've got Tiffany Shepis dressed up as a cross between Johnny Scissorhands and that monster out of Demons 2 who starts off as someone's sister. 'Death Factory' frequently does get boring, but I like it anyway. It certainly has its charms. Even if you're not a fan of camcorder-esque production values, even if you want to revile it for taking the standard slasher / teens getting offed in a house template and doing absolutely nothing with it, you've still got to make allowances for some things. There's quite sadistic gore (lovingly and lingeringly beheld by aforementioned camcorder), some t&a with a ludicrous soundtrack, and there are priceless moments such as one which sees a fake cardboard wall come loose and totter over two actors who obviously don't know whether to keep on fighting or press the wall back in place, so try to do both. Taken on these terms, 'Death Factory' is quite a lot of fun, and also has that elusive 'dream like because it's incompetent' feel to it in places a mon avis. It's interesting, if you look at stats on IMDB or places like that you'll learn that, latterly, around a thousand horror films are being produced per year. I'll bet that the bulk of those are spiritually more akin to 'Death Factory' than to 'The Witch' or 'Neon Demon'. Where do all those movies go? They seem to pass by like shadows. Brad Sykes also made no-budgeter 'Goth', which is actually a really good film.
Old 28th July 2016, 11:19 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
DEATH FACTORY – we've got Tiffany Shepis.
One for the 'to buy' list then.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 28th July 2016, 11:26 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Worryingly i have more Brad Sykes films than i do Tarkovsky, Bertolucci
and Fassbinder put together.

keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.
Old 28th July 2016, 11:48 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Worryingly i have more Brad Sykes films than i do Tarkovsky, Bertolucci
and Fassbinder put together.

I had to look him up as I don't know who he is I haven't seen any but 'Goth' was on Amazon Video, I don't know if it still is.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 28th July 2016, 12:40 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

'Creature Feature' double-bill. I have a soft spot for both these films.

Infestation is a b-movie special as mankind is enslaved by insects! It's a fun ride with a good last line - looking off into the distance after surviving the infestation "Is that....?" Suggesting a new problem to face.

Deep Rising is a b-movie with a big budget. Huge underwater gribbly attacks ocean liner with disparate groups of people acting at odds with each other trying to survive. Another great line to finish - "Now what?"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deep-rising-dvd-cover-art.jpg (13.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Infestation_DVD.jpg (102.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 29th July 2016, 06:44 AM
Cult Addict

Star trek beyond.

I know a lot of 'traditional' trekkies get bent out of shape about these films but honestly I have no problems with them and I was raised in a houshold where Trek was on all the times and the summer Trek film was a family event. This latest one should hopefully appeal to both regular film goers and trekkies as it feels much more like the original franchise while retaining terrific fast paced action. (Though I've just found a review online that argues the action feels 'wrong' in a trek film ) Its a lot of fun, refuses to get dull, gets rid of all the lens flare shit and it turns out Justin lin was a great pick as a director.
Old 29th July 2016, 08:41 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Star trek beyond.

I know a lot of 'traditional' trekkies get bent out of shape about these films but honestly I have no problems with them and I was raised in a houshold where Trek was on all the times and the summer Trek film was a family event. This latest one should hopefully appeal to both regular film goers and trekkies as it feels much more like the original franchise while retaining terrific fast paced action. (Though I've just found a review online that argues the action feels 'wrong' in a trek film ) Its a lot of fun, refuses to get dull, gets rid of all the lens flare shit and it turns out Justin lin was a great pick as a director.
its strange these fans that say action is out of place in a star trek film, when you ask them what there favourite film is its either wrath of khan or first contact both very action based movies with little or nothing to do with the message of the old series etc, and yet there least favourite is the motion picture which is probably the most "star trek" of all
Old 29th July 2016, 09:53 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
its strange these fans that say action is out of place in a star trek film, when you ask them what there favourite film is its either wrath of khan or first contact both very action based movies with little or nothing to do with the message of the old series etc, and yet there least favourite is the motion picture which is probably the most "star trek" of all
I've always found Wrath of Khan to be overrated.

My top 5 being

First Contact
The Undiscovered Country
The Voyage Home
Insurrection
The Motion Picture

Like this? Share it using the links below!