Like Tree179657Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th May 2015, 10:16 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
STAGE FRIGHT – I'm all for horror musicals. Look at something like 'Repo: A Genetic Opera'. That was pretty audacious. Admittedly, they're not all as bizarre as that one. 'Stage Fright', which is not only a horror musical but a meta-horror musical, is set in a summer camp where a bunch of post-'Glee' kids get to sing, dance and put on a show. In the mix is the Cinderella-esque daughter of a former star who wants to rise above her status as camp caterer and try for an audition. But there's a masked killer doing the rounds who etc etc etc. 'Stage Fright' gets some things right, but fails to hit some important high notes. The songs, the banter, the witty give and take are all pitch perfect and really breathe life into a concept that might've easily out-cuted itself given a couple of slips-ups in the cleverness stakes. There are a few OK kills and a nice intro with a Giallo-esque Phantom Of The Opera conceit to set things up. The problem, which is maybe not really all that much of a problem for some, is that basically all the campery outdoes the horror aspects by miles. So much so that the murder stuff, which kind of devolves into a slightly wet whodunnit by the end, almost feels tacked on and lame. Speaking of lame, the bits with the masked killer doing a kind of heavy metal “ha ha ha revelling in my own righteous vengeance” thing in a darkened room with a chainsaw just looked so out of touch. As did the killer generally, up to and including the super-weak mask-off. But... for all that, 'Stage Fright' is amusing, likeable, eccentric and cool. Whilst it misses an opportunity to be a bit more out there, it has panache and dares to be a little different. I say - give it a go.
When i saw a Stage Fright review i immediately presumed it was going to be the Soavi film from 1987.

Pleasingly it wasn't as no doubt our views would have been very contrasting. I'm not sure how many times i've now watched StageFright over the years, from the vhs release to the US Anchor Bay dvd which i've had for years to this new release from Exposure Cinema.

I have to be honest this film becomes less of a classic and more of a dull plodder the more i see it. The dialogue is horrible, trite and clumsy and the acting especially seeing as it's set in a theatre with a group of actors is often embarrassing with poor motivations. The kills whilst once fun seem quite substandard now we can see so many Gialli and slasher movies hack away to their hearts content. Oh yeah and it has that horrible prog / metal score which sounds so dated as it riffs around as the various characters are stalked by the killer.

In short StageFright just isn't as good as it's reputation suggests.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg StageFright 1987 Beyond Horror Design.jpg (88.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 27th May 2015, 10:25 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
When i saw a Stage Fright review i immediately presumed it was going to be the Soavi film from 1987.

Pleasingly it wasn't as no doubt our views would have been very contrasting. I'm not sure how many times i've now watched StageFright over the years, from the vhs release to the US Anchor Bay dvd which i've had for years to this new release from Exposure Cinema.

I have to be honest this film becomes less of a classic and more of a dull plodder the more i see it. The dialogue is horrible, trite and clumsy and the acting especially seeing as it's set in a theatre with a group of actors is often embarrassing with poor motivations. The kills whilst once fun seem quite substandard now we can see so many Gialli and slasher movies hack away to their hearts content. Oh yeah and it has that horrible prog / metal score which sounds so dated as it riffs around as the various characters are stalked by the killer.

Well, it has a better sax solo than The Lost Boys. For this alone, it shall have a place in my heart.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th May 2015, 05:09 PM
Cult Addict

Godzilla 2014

Finally revisited this on Blu-ray, not seen it since the cinema and... well I actually think its a complete piece of shit.

The refusal to show Godzilla at first was charming, eventually however it became tiresome in a film better described as Call of Duty: Godzilla edition.
Each monster fight cuts away to the frankly tedious story of a soldier heading back to his family. Various scenes tease something better but never deliver, for instance we see a quaint domestic scene with Godzilla battling monsters on TV. No actual fight is played to completion until the end and even that is interspersed with drivel.

A terrible waste of time and money. Watch the original Godzilla pictures instead, failing that watch pacific rim, failing that cloverfield, failing that recreate a better film wigth plastic toys.
Old 27th May 2015, 06:02 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
your right its much better.And may the spirit of John Morghen visit upon thee in the midst of night.

Old 27th May 2015, 06:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
your right its much better.And may the spirit of John Morghen visit upon thee in the midst of night.
Not dubbed in his StageFright voice i hope.

So why do you like it so much Inspector?
Old 27th May 2015, 07:04 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Godzilla 2014

Finally revisited this on Blu-ray, not seen it since the cinema and... well I actually think its a complete piece of shit.

The refusal to show Godzilla at first was charming, eventually however it became tiresome in a film better described as Call of Duty: Godzilla edition.
Each monster fight cuts away to the frankly tedious story of a soldier heading back to his family. Various scenes tease something better but never deliver, for instance we see a quaint domestic scene with Godzilla battling monsters on TV. No actual fight is played to completion until the end and even that is interspersed with drivel.

A terrible waste of time and money. Watch the original Godzilla pictures instead, failing that watch pacific rim, failing that cloverfield, failing that recreate a better film wigth plastic toys.
You forgot the fab Roland Emmerich film.
keirarts likes this.
Old 27th May 2015, 07:17 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Not dubbed in his StageFright voice i hope.

So why do you like it so much Inspector?
A man in owl mask wielding power tools,what's not to like.

Old 27th May 2015, 07:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
A man in owl mask wielding power tools,what's not to like.
The rest of it.
Old 27th May 2015, 07:36 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
The rest of it.
Meh! Its enough for me

Old 27th May 2015, 08:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

G.I. Joe (2009) What a pile of excreted material! Just about everything I hate in a mainstream movie! From its way to noisy soundtrack to its CGI effects to Quaids hands on hips general to its gorgeous armour clad woman....not to mention the wise-cracking black guy!

Like this? Share it using the links below!