Cult Veteran
Good Trader

7.5/10

9.5/10
Old 30th July 2017, 04:59 PM
Cult Acolyte

06_Lone Ranger, The (1956) LC.jpg
THE LONE RANGER (1956)

A rancher starts stirring up trouble against the nearby Indian tribe. The sacred mountain has silver running through the rock and he wants it for himself..

A First big screen movie for the western hero.
Enjoyable and colourful adventure.
Old 30th July 2017, 06:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
No you're ok, I don't take anything you say seriously gag.
Erm thanks .....I think
Old 30th July 2017, 06:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
Finally got around to rewatching A Nightmare On Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge. I ordered Dream Warriors 18 months ago (which I'm a big fan of) and it was an American region friendly, double bill blu-ray. Freddy's Revenge is quite a difficult film to rate as whilst the direction is actually pretty good (by Jack Sholder of The Hidden fame), the shooting script is truly dreadful! The film has it's fans as it still features a non-wisecracking villain and interestingly, like Top Gun, is said to be a highly homoerotic film. Wes Craven was so disappointed with this film that he would return as co-writer for the far superior third entry. Film score - a very grudging 5/10.
I'm a big fan of the 2nd entry in the series and probably have it level pegging with part 3 for enjoyment factor. Although, having watched a marathon of all the films recently part 3 had actually lost a bit of it's shine, it's one that actually feels really dated.
trebor8273 and bleakshaun like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 30th July 2017, 06:51 PM
Cult Addict

The Graduate

The local VUE were screening Criterion's new 4K restoration of this so couldn't resist popping down to see it.

I've had a weird relationship with this film. The first time I saw it aged about 14 I absolutely hated it, thought it was gloomy and dull. But with age comes wisdom (hopefully) and a few life experiences that put things into perspective.

Benjamin Braddock has the classic signs of depression. Having been there myself I could see it a lot more clearly than I could at 14. Basically at that age I was somewhat like the middle class suburbanites who surround him. In fairness its something that can be hard to spot, and at the time the film was set not as discussed as it is now. His depression seems to stem at least in part at facing growing up and becoming his parents. I think its this dissatisfaction with the way his life is headed that leads him into the arms of one of his parents friends. Mrs Robinson however is someone who is hitting middle age, she also is depressed, perhaps more accutely than Benjamin. When they discuss her past in one scene its clear that when she was younger she had dreams and aspirations that were quickly snuffed out by pregnancy and marriage. This left a tragic, bitter chain smoking drunk.

The Graduate really works for me more than it ever has. It somewhat worked the first time for me when I left university. Sometimes its a difficult watch but overall I think it genuinely is a brilliant film. The criterion restoration looks stunning btw.
Old 30th July 2017, 06:56 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
The Graduate

The local VUE were screening Criterion's new 4K restoration of this so couldn't resist popping down to see it.

I've had a weird relationship with this film. The first time I saw it aged about 14 I absolutely hated it, thought it was gloomy and dull. But with age comes wisdom (hopefully) and a few life experiences that put things into perspective.

Benjamin Braddock has the classic signs of depression. Having been there myself I could see it a lot more clearly than I could at 14. Basically at that age I was somewhat like the middle class suburbanites who surround him. In fairness its something that can be hard to spot, and at the time the film was set not as discussed as it is now. His depression seems to stem at least in part at facing growing up and becoming his parents. I think its this dissatisfaction with the way his life is headed that leads him into the arms of one of his parents friends. Mrs Robinson however is someone who is hitting middle age, she also is depressed, perhaps more accutely than Benjamin. When they discuss her past in one scene its clear that when she was younger she had dreams and aspirations that were quickly snuffed out by pregnancy and marriage. This left a tragic, bitter chain smoking drunk.

The Graduate really works for me more than it ever has. It somewhat worked the first time for me when I left university. Sometimes its a difficult watch but overall I think it genuinely is a brilliant film. The criterion restoration looks stunning btw.
This is one of those films I've always wanted to see and just never got around to, the list is shortening all the time though!
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 30th July 2017, 07:01 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
This is one of those films I've always wanted to see and just never got around to, the list is shortening all the time though!
The Graduate is a genuinely great film, one where your viewing experience will probably be influenced by Wayne's World 2, which lovingly parodies Mike Nichols' masterpiece.
Justin101 and keirarts like this.
Old 30th July 2017, 07:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I'm a big fan of the 2nd entry in the series and probably have it level pegging with part 3 for enjoyment factor. Although, having watched a marathon of all the films recently part 3 had actually lost a bit of it's shine, it's one that actually feels really dated.
One of the things that really surprised me about NOES 2 was that a school jock would have a Frank Zappa 'Them Or Us' poster on his wall.
Justin101 and keirarts like this.
Old 30th July 2017, 08:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

8/10

9/10
Old 30th July 2017, 09:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ahem....

Edmond (2005, Stuart Gordon)
Now if I say this is an adaptation of David Mamet's own play .... some will instantly know what to expect
For the uninitiated ... a group of folk stand around shouting about how angry they are at having privileged lives
So William H Macy takes a walk on the wilder side in a tale that is by turn shocking and hysterically funny. Combs does turn up
Did feel like Mamet was trying to ape Ferrara and Schraeder throughout ....
And due to the still obvious class bias held by the BBFC , this was passed for an 18, whilst Fight For Your Life stays in limbo. Same as it ever was then
Recommended. Bints galore etc ... Stiles, Suvari etc

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!