All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree179636Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th July 2017, 02:12 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
That's harsh. At least i'm interested in what Demoncrats on about.
Right I'm going to make a complaint I'm sick of you lot bullying and insulting me :-(
I'm in bed and I'm going to cry myself to sleep , being bullied can cause people to do stupid things like top themselves ,and if I do I'm coming back to haunt the fecking lot of you, then you'll be sorry mark my words bastards
Demoncrat, keirarts and bleakshaun like this.
Old 30th July 2017, 02:29 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Dracula, Prisoner Of Frankenstein

Goes quite well
with The Fall

Nacht!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 30th July 2017, 07:37 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Right I'm going to make a complaint I'm sick of you lot bullying and insulting me :-(
I'm in bed and I'm going to cry myself to sleep , being bullied can cause people to do stupid things like top themselves ,and if I do I'm coming back to haunt the fecking lot of you, then you'll be sorry mark my words bastards
You jest surely? Thought you were all about a bit of banter??
keirarts likes this.
Old 30th July 2017, 07:56 AM
Cult Acolyte

TWO MALES FOR ALEXA
First off in a Rosalba Neri double bill, this tells the tale of a young woman ( Neri ) who starts an affair with a younger man after marrying an older ( and wealthier ) gent, who gets his revenge by trapping them inside his house and trying to frame them for murder.
Although not a Giallo per se, this still has plenty to appeal to fans of the genre. Apart from a few location scenes, the finale of this one almost has the feel of a stage play between the two increasingly desperate characters.
Having only seen this on a crappy ( cut ) dvd, needless to say it went straight in the bin after getting this lovely looking Blu ray from X Cult. As well as being fully uncut, it includes a few extra/alternate scenes, including some from the beach scene, which fans of Ms Neri will enjoy ( I know I did ). Recommended.

COLD BLOODED BEAST
Fernando Di Leo's ultra sleazy 1971 Giallo makes its fully uncut debut in the UK, courtesy of 88 Films Italian Collection. The premise of the movie is plainly ridiculous ( violent mental patients being treated in an institution full of medieval torture implements ! ) but it has a great cast, including Rosalba Neri, Margaret Lee and Klaus Kinski.
Di Leo's swirling, in your face camera work is in evidence here, but for such a sleaze fest, it can be quite slow at times. Still, an essential addition to any Giallo collection, 88's edition is the longest available ( meaning a slight drop in quality in one or two short scenes ) and, as mentioned, is fully uncut. This one really does earn its 18 certificate!
Some good extras here, including a 2017 interview with Ms Neri make this one of 88's strongest releases in the collection.
Old 30th July 2017, 09:29 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Who needs to actually watch films when you have the entertainment value that is this thread.
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 30th July 2017, 09:40 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

A Man Called Ove (Hannes Holm, 2015)

This Swedish film (original title En man som heter Ove) is based on the 2012 book of the same name by Fredrik Backman follows the titular man, a petty, badtempered widower, who spends his days at work, talking to his recently deceased wife, Sonja, mostly at her graveside, or rigidly enforcing the housing association rules where he lives. When he is unexpectedly laid off after 43 years of good work, he makes the decision to kill himself to be with Sonja, but this turns out to be unexpectedly difficult, due in no small part to the arrival of new neighbours: Patrick, his heavily pregnant Iranian wife and their two daughters.

We are first introduced to Ove in the supermarket where he picks up one bunch of flowers from the 2 for 70 kroner section and is adamant he should only pay 35 kroner for them, not the 50 the cashier demands. When his logical argument is getting nowhere, he asks to see her supervisor and is told he is having his lunch, to which Ove retorts that he should be brushing up on arithmetic rather than eating.

As the film progresses and Ove grows closer to his neighbours, we are shown flashbacks of his life as a child and young man, discovering what happened to his parents and wife, something which coincides with a more human side to him coming through. There is a tonal similarity to the 2013 Swedish film The Hundred Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared as this shifts seamlessly between moving pathos and laugh out loud humour, eliciting both tears and loud laughter from the (admittedly small) audience with whom I saw the film yesterday. Like films which work as both horrors and comedies, making one which is a heartfelt, moving drama and uplifting, endearing comedy is a tough act and one which Holm does with sublime skill. Rolf Lassgård is quite brilliant in the title role and the small supporting cast are equally brilliant.

Much of the humour is based on human interaction and although I found some of the interactions about cars – Ove is a Saab driver who hates Volvos, but not as much as he detests cars made outside Sweden – very funny, it will probably mean more to a Swedish viewer or someone who has spent considerable time there. For one example, he can't stand German cars, summarising his feelings about one acquaintance with the line "If you can make someone who drives an Audi understand. Four zeros on the grill and a fifth at the wheel."

It is a film which will not appear at your local multiplex and is more likely to show what an art centre or independent cinema, and it is worth keeping an eye out for showings, or when it appears to buy or rent for home viewing. I haven't read the novel on which this is based, but I have been told the film is at least its equal, so those of you who have read the book are likely to be disappointed by this adaptation.

Old 30th July 2017, 09:47 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
You jest surely? Thought you were all about a bit of banter??
I sincerely hope you didn't take a word of that seriously if so only crying I be doing is crying with laughter and I hope you are scared of ghost for when I come back to haunt you .
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.
Old 30th July 2017, 10:28 AM
Cult Addict

cf0d27b12a691f904e309b4f80a7b7c109a574f15e4221f63805c71bd3343b5f.jpg
keirarts and bleakshaun like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 30th July 2017, 11:16 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
I sincerely hope you didn't take a word of that seriously if so only crying I be doing is crying with laughter and I hope you are scared of ghost for when I come back to haunt you .
No you're ok, I don't take anything you say seriously gag.
Old 30th July 2017, 04:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Finally got around to rewatching A Nightmare On Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge. I ordered Dream Warriors 18 months ago (which I'm a big fan of) and it was an American region friendly, double bill blu-ray. Freddy's Revenge is quite a difficult film to rate as whilst the direction is actually pretty good (by Jack Sholder of The Hidden fame), the shooting script is truly dreadful! The film has it's fans as it still features a non-wisecracking villain and interestingly, like Top Gun, is said to be a highly homoerotic film. Wes Craven was so disappointed with this film that he would return as co-writer for the far superior third entry. Film score - a very grudging 5/10.

Like this? Share it using the links below!